roping and sheeting

Bewick:
Seeing as this thread continues to pop up I will pose a question which may or may not gain some “traction” ------ Q Which area in the UK could be acknowledged to be the finest exponents of the craft of Sheeting and Roping ?
IMHO I would put forward West ■■■■■■■ and the Northeast of Scotland during the days when most traffic was hauled on platforms ! Cheers Bewick.

I often thought it was more northern traffic Bewick but I wondered if it’s because they historically travel greater distances? I just get the feeling that London and southern traffic don’t go the same distances therefore spending a lot of time on the sheeting it just wasn’t worth doing anymore than was necessary?

I know from my time driving for W.H.Allen in Bedford it was worth taking time with sheeting as it would sometimes be 2 days before they came off and traveling scotch you certainly didn’t see many firms from down south. Just a gut feeling but something I always noticed when I was driving longer distances.

Certainly the areas mentioned were good but I saw in all my travels both good and less good from all points of the compass.

No sheeting here :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
No sheeting here :laughing:

So Dan’l ---- No sheets or ropes— how come your posting on the R & S thread------ Bully’s Truck Stop is a bit further down the page I believe :wink: !

5.jpg

167639_1673800017554_1614032556_1568417_5083712_n.jpg

Some Nottinghamshire hauliers were a dab hand at sheeting and roping these two pictures are of separate loads of leaf tobacco from Renfrew bound for Players Bonded warehouse in Nottingham

gazsa401:

Some Nottinghamshire hauliers were a dab hand at sheeting and roping these two pictures are of separate loads of leaf tobacco from Renfrew bound for Players Bonded warehouse in Nottingham

A nice memory for me Gazsa, though no opportunity for me to demonstrate my skills while there as it was always vans on night trunk to Bristol. Also after my time, no such thing as a Sed-Ack in those days. :smiley:

Are they still going? A difficult job to get on in my day and I was flattered to be asked back after I left and indeed did do several casual day jobs fetching trailers under trade plates with an unregistered Seddon. :laughing:

Spardo:

gazsa401:

A nice memory for me Gazsa, though no opportunity for me to demonstrate my skills while there as it was always vans on night trunk to Bristol. Also after my time, no such thing as a Sed-Ack in those days. :smiley:

Are they still going? A difficult job to get on in my day and I was flattered to be asked back after I left and indeed did do several casual day jobs fetching trailers under trade plates with an unregistered Seddon. :laughing:

Good morning mate sadly long gone I left in 2003 after 17 fantastic years
I got a job offer too good to refuse at Players has a local driver/yard shunter
Stirlands Willow Road depot closed in 2002 and moved up to your old stomping ground West Hallam storage depot as you may recall Stirlands were a TDG company
Cheers Gary

Fortunately Gaz the “Panel” would have given the Stirland motor 4 x 10’s but unfortunately they had mark it down 1 point each to 36 as the fly sheet was roped over on the front of the load ! :blush: :frowning: Only joking Mate top marks from me for a top effort ! :wink: Hope you are keeping well . Cheers Dennis.

gazsa401:

Spardo:

Stirlands Willow Road depot closed in 2002 and moved up to your old stomping ground West Hallam storage depot as you may recall Stirlands were a TDG company
Cheers Gary

Didn’t know that, I was well ensconced here by then, did they share it with Midlands Storage then or were they gone by that time?
Back to that Sed-Ack, I can’t see the number plate but reckon it must be an early model after the takeover as the Seddon logo is still on the grill, but I think the driver has put that big A above it as a protest, a movement that eventually succeeded in getting it back on officially. :wink: :smiley:

Bewick:

pete smith:

Bewick:
Seeing as this thread continues to pop up I will pose a question which may or may not gain some “traction” ------ Q Which area in the UK could be acknowledged to be the finest exponents of the craft of Sheeting and Roping ?
IMHO I would put forward West ■■■■■■■ and the Northeast of Scotland during the days when most traffic was hauled on platforms ! Cheers Bewick.

Afternoon Dennis,
Hope you are keeping well?
Regarding the above question I have heard the lads in and around the Milnthorpe area were pretty good!

Hiya Pete,
Couldn’t possibly comment Mate ! :wink:
We are both OK and have avoided the Plague so I trust that you and yours are the same. Regards Dennis.

All good Thank you Dennis

Bewick:
Fortunately Gaz the “Panel” would have given the Stirland motor 4 x 10’s but unfortunately they had mark it down 1 point each to 36 as the fly sheet was roped over on the front of the load ! :blush: :frowning: Only joking Mate top marks from me for a top effort ! :wink: Hope you are keeping well . Cheers Dennis.

Sorry for the late reply I’m all good thanks Dennis I hope you and your family are keeping safe and well [emoji4]

Spardo:

gazsa401:

Spardo:

Cheers Gary

Didn’t know that, I was well ensconced here by then, did they share it with Midlands Storage then or were they gone by that time?
Back to that Sed-Ack, I can’t see the number plate but reckon it must be an early model after the takeover as the Seddon logo is still on the grill, but I think the driver has put that big A above it as a protest, a movement that eventually succeeded in getting it back on officially. :wink: :smiley:

Hey up Spardo Jack Stirland sold out to TDG in 1964 but remained as MD until his retirement in the early 80s
The 400 SA was the follow on in running the Atkinson marquee which Stirlands ran quite a lot of
Thanks Gary

gazsa401:

Spardo:

gazsa401:

Spardo:

Cheers Gary

Hey up Spardo Jack Stirland sold out to TDG in 1964 but remained as MD until his retirement in the early 80s
The 400 SA was the follow on in running the Atkinson marquee which Stirlands ran quite a lot of
Thanks Gary

My Atki on the Bristol night trunk was an L reg, so that makes it '72 I think, which fits as I know it was TDG then. Can’t remember if I was at Mid. Storage before or after Stirland’s but before I reckon because I remember moans there as the boss (Welshman Glyn Samuels) said that TDG wouldn’t allow him to buy any foreign motors and the grumble came back saying ‘well how come Jack Stirland’s got some Scanias then?’ When I did get to Stirland’s they gave me one of those 80s and I refused it the next night, useless heaps they were. Fancy me knocking back a Scanny for an Atki. :unamused: It is a wonder I got on there at all because I think TDG frowned on the ‘poaching’ of drivers, maybe I had a job in between, or maybe they were desperate. :laughing: :laughing:

Tidy NMP off FB

coomsey:
Tidy NMP off FB

No “coomsey” sorry to disagree with you but if you had looked very closely, although it was “first glance for me” you will clearly observe that whoever sheeted that 8 wheeler put the front sheet on first ( Oh! dear it’s not long enough!) then stuck a sheet on the back end !! Yea it looks very tidy standing stationary but I wont comment on when it starts travelling forward even at 24 mph ( BRS union average speed :unamused: ) But then again what could you expect from the Muppets at BRS ! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink: Bewick