roping and sheeting

Bewick:

les-p:
One for Dennis, NMP, FB photo. Les.

My Picture ! 1970
1 B &W shot circa 1971. Cheers Dennis.

Was there any make you didn’t run, and for any reason, witch was the best. Les.

les-p:

Bewick:

les-p:

My Picture ! 1970

Well Les in the first years I ran a Trader a D1000 an Albion, a couple of Bedfords and a couple of Mastiffs then in 1971 onwards it was Atkinson and ERF( and a sprinkling of Big J’s) :frowning: and then Scania and a few Volvos then latterly with a few Mercs and a couple of Renaults ! But in the earlier years Atky Borderers were the backbone of the fleet and then finally Scania took over as the predominant marque and they did us a fine job !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

les-p:

Bewick:

les-p:

My Picture ! 1970

Well Les in the first years I ran a Trader a D1000 an Albion, a couple of Bedfords and a couple of Mastiffs then in 1971 onwards it was Atkinson and ERF( and a sprinkling of Big J’s) :frowning: and then Scania and a few Volvos then latterly with a few Mercs and a couple of Renaults ! But in the earlier years Atky Borderers were the backbone of the fleet and then finally Scania took over as the predominant marque and they did us a fine job !! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Dennis you didn’t mention your fondness for Foden lol.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

Hiya,
Dennis you didn’t mention your fondness for Foden lol.

Or the Seddons he operated Harry. :wink:

Pete.

Good try Lads but there is absolutely no way that I would ever have entertained one of those “Sandbach Blacksmith Jobs” in the Bewick fleet :open_mouth: :wink: Anyway “H” and Pete I will hopefully brighten up this dismal post by wishing both you and yours a very Happy Christmas under current circumstances and that the New Year will positively improve ! Kind Regards Dennis.
PS yes I forgot to mention the 6 Seddon 32/4’s we ran :blush: Well you two will find out all about memory loss when you get to my age ! :confused:

Bewick:
Good try Lads but there is absolutely no way that I would ever have entertained one of those “Sandbach Blacksmith Jobs” in the Bewick fleet :open_mouth: :wink: Anyway “H” and Pete I will hopefully brighten up this dismal post by wishing both you and yours a very Happy Christmas under current circumstances and that the New Year will positively improve ! Kind Regards Dennis.
PS yes I forgot to mention the 6 Seddon 32/4’s we ran :blush: Well you two will find out all about memory loss when you get to my age ! :confused:

Well Dennis what didn’t you like about AEC they were very popular back in the day. Les. :wink:

les-p:

Bewick:

Well Dennis what didn’t you like about AEC they were very popular back in the day. Les. :wink:

Well Les the nearest I got to buying an AEC was at the time I was buying my first new motor and I’m afraid the D1000 was about as far as the finances at the time would stretch :wink: But I did fancy an AEC Mercury but financially a “bridge too far” at the time ! However the D1000 gave me faultless reliability for the 3 years I ran it ( and drove it myself :sunglasses: ) But at that time the Leyland group products were sinking fast so I never considered them as it was Atkys all the way from 1971 !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

les-p:

Bewick:

Well Les the nearest I got to buying an AEC was at the time I was buying my first new motor and I’m afraid the D1000 was about as far as the finances at the time would stretch :wink: But I did fancy an AEC Mercury but financially a “bridge too far” at the time ! However the D1000 gave me faultless reliability for the 3 years I ran it ( and drove it myself :sunglasses: ) But at that time the Leyland group products were sinking fast so I never considered them as it was Atkys all the way from 1971 !! Cheers Dennis.

From a drivers point of view I preferred ERF, Atki, Scania, they all earned me good money but then I didn’t have to buy them. Les.

Ticks all the boxes :unamused: NMP off FB

Nicely done Dennis.

Kempston:
Nicely done Dennis.

Thanks for the kind compliment “K” but I will have to own up and say it wasn’t me that did the S & R it was our young Brummie Shunter Mike Ponsonby :wink: Mind you we gave him some intensive training at Milnthorpe to get him up to Bewick standards, but he got there in the end and is now a credit to the old firm ! :smiley: :sunglasses: :wink: Cheers Dennis.PS wishing you a Happy Christmas and, hopefully, a better New Year.

Bewick:

Kempston:
Nicely done Dennis.

Thanks for the kind compliment “K” but I will have to own up and say it wasn’t me that did the S & R it was our young Brummie Shunter Mike Ponsonby :wink: Mind you we gave him some intensive training at Milnthorpe to get him up to Bewick standards, but he got there in the end and is now a credit to the old firm ! :smiley: :sunglasses: :wink: Cheers Dennis.PS wishing you a Happy Christmas and, hopefully, a better New Year.

Trip to the optician for me Dennis. At first I thought I could see ropes over the flysheet, then realized there couldn’t be, as you would never allow a photo of a load like
that carrying the Bewick name. :wink: :smiley:

Regards John.

Looks to me like a man that knew what he was doing !? NMP off FB

coomsey:

Very neatly done coomsey and a very unusual colour for a tarpaulin.

coomsey:

ERF driver :wink: ; the very least you can expect :sunglasses:

Seeing as this thread continues to pop up I will pose a question which may or may not gain some “traction” ------ Q Which area in the UK could be acknowledged to be the finest exponents of the craft of Sheeting and Roping ?
IMHO I would put forward West ■■■■■■■ and the Northeast of Scotland during the days when most traffic was hauled on platforms ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Seeing as this thread continues to pop up I will pose a question which may or may not gain some “traction” ------ Q Which area in the UK could be acknowledged to be the finest exponents of the craft of Sheeting and Roping ?
IMHO I would put forward West ■■■■■■■ and the Northeast of Scotland during the days when most traffic was hauled on platforms ! Cheers Bewick.

Afternoon Dennis,
Hope you are keeping well?
Regarding the above question I have heard the lads in and around the Milnthorpe area were pretty good!

pete smith:

Bewick:

Afternoon Dennis,
Hope you are keeping well?
Regarding the above question I have heard the lads in and around the Milnthorpe area were pretty good!

Hiya Pete,
Couldn’t possibly comment Mate ! :wink:
We are both OK and have avoided the Plague so I trust that you and yours are the same. Regards Dennis.

Bewick,
Hello Dennis
You are probably right about the areas of the country where sheeting and roping was topnotch.
Here in South Wales in the Bridgend area we have Bridgend Paper Mills and pre: curtainsider days there were some first class exponents of the art of S&R. Then there was Metal Box in Neath and there were loads
out of there that had to be really well roped and sheeted Then Ford’s at Jersey Marine in Swansea with axles for Halewood, a really difficult load to sheet.
As a kid in the mid fifties I used to go with my father when he was on the BRS shuntiing eight wheelers at Bridgend Paper Mills. Thats probably when it started for me but most of my sheeting and roping was steel.
Regards Allan