coomsey:
Looks good to me ! NMP off FB

Bottle sheeted for extra security too.

David

Hope he winds those legs up ! NMP off FB

FB_IMG_1637684829105.jpg

coomsey:

That shot was taken at J & H 's Packhorse Garage on the A5 at Markyate which was often my last pick up on my way home loaded with all kinds of stuff for what is now south ■■■■■■■ and the then Furness part of Lancs. It was always three or four cases of Schweppes Cordial for a bloke in Kendal that mixed it in little plastic containers that were sold in the Cinemas around the area . It was always desperate as J & H weren’t bothered about a poxy little drop somewhere in “the sticks” but the Bloke in Kendal was always screaming for it and I used to ring him on the way home and he would be there waiting for me when I got back even at 10pm at night but fortunately I sometimes had the wooden cases in the cab as I couldn’t always get them onto the load as I was loaded to the gunwales !! The problem was getting paid off J & H as J & W Watt’s used to get me to do the job but declined to get involved to be responsible for payment ! I even called at J & H’s HO in Peckham on a couple of occasions to extract payment !! with extreme difficulty and in the end the Chap in Kendal said he would pay me directly just as long he got his half dozen flagons of concentrate promptly. In the end I kicked the job into touch as not being worth the hassle. But one interesting item from the time I used to call into the Pack Horse garage was the then J & H depot manager was one E C Edwards (Eric IIRC) who was later the founder ECE Transport now he was one sharp individual if I ever met one ! Well he would have to be to rise to being a J & H depot manager ! :wink: Happy Days Bewick.

Bewick:

coomsey:

That shot was taken at J & H 's Packhorse Garage on the A5 at Markyate which was often my last pick up on my way home loaded with all kinds of stuff for what is now south ■■■■■■■ and the then Furness part of Lancs. It was always three or four cases of Schweppes Cordial for a bloke in Kendal that mixed it in little plastic containers that were sold in the Cinemas around the area . It was always desperate as J & H weren’t bothered about a poxy little drop somewhere in “the sticks” but the Bloke in Kendal was always screaming for it and I used to ring him on the way home and he would be there waiting for me when I got back even at 10pm at night but fortunately I sometimes had the wooden cases in the cab as I couldn’t always get them onto the load as I was loaded to the gunwales !! The problem was getting paid off J & H as J & W Watt’s used to get me to do the job but declined to get involved to be responsible for payment ! I even called at J & H’s HO in Peckham on a couple of occasions to extract payment !! with extreme difficulty and in the end the Chap in Kendal said he would pay me directly just as long he got his half dozen flagons of concentrate promptly. In the end I kicked the job into touch as not being worth the hassle. But one interesting item from the time I used to call into the Pack Horse garage was the then J & H depot manager was one E C Edwards (Eric IIRC) who was later the founder ECE Transport now he was one sharp individual if I ever met one ! Well he would have to be to rise to being a J & H depot manager ! :wink: Happy Days Bewick.

Nice one Dennis cheers coomsey

Just saw this on the local news, obviously hasn’t mastered the art of securing a load, lucky he didn’t kill someone!

facebook.com/bbcnewseast/vi … 347885601/

Kempston:
Just saw this on the local news, obviously hasn’t mastered the art of securing a load, lucky he didn’t kill someone!

I don’t think it was strapped but he was going a bit too fast on the bend. If it was strapped it would only hold part of the pallet , a fly sheet would help and rope the gaps

ramone:

Kempston:

I don’t think it was strapped but he was going a bit too fast on the bend. If it was strapped it would only hold part of the pallet , a fly sheet would help and rope the gaps

Way to fast Ramone and as you say no visible signs of any straps, shocking really! How the car driver wasn’t killed is a miracle, imagine it was a family on a day out, it could’ve wiped them all out.

This happened in April this year,the driver received a fine!

David

Deleted.

5thwheel:
This happened in April this year,the driver received a fine

David

He should have had his licence suspended, you can’t corner a motor like that ‘on the door handles’ with an unsecured load. If the occupants of the car had been killed he’d have been doing time for manslaughter.

grumpy old man:

5thwheel:

David

He should have had his licence suspended, you can’t corner a motor like that ‘on the door handles’ with an unsecured load. If the occupants of the car had been killed he’d have been doing time for manslaughter.

Its a good job it wasn’t a motor cycle definitely a fatality

Bewick:

coomsey:

Now then Dennis, this is a proper newsprint haulier " loaded to the gunwales ". Just think of all that extra profit you could have had !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards John. ( not my picture )

ramone:

grumpy old man:

5thwheel:

David

Its a good job it wasn’t a motor cycle definitely a fatality

Exactly what happened to my mums next door neighbour, left work in stewartby for home and only got as far as the first bend, only in his thirties, wife and two young children left without a dad.

old 67:

Bewick:

coomsey:

Now then Dennis, this is a proper newsprint haulier " loaded to the gunwales ". Just think of all that extra profit you could have had !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards John. ( not my picture )

Aye John Hagues topped off the Scotch bound Loads of newsprint from Ellsmere with market produce from around Ormskirk and that was when trailers were only about 30 ft long ! Those were the days ! Cheers Dennis.

Aye lads … myself in another life !!! Friday afternoon ready for “Doon the road Sunday”

Roping and sheeting appeared to be optional in Egypt. Here’s a pic I took from my flat in Cairo some years ago. There’s even a sheet parked on the cab roof!

backsplice:
Aye lads … myself in another life !!! Friday afternoon ready for “Doon the road Sunday”

Hi backaplice. Are you from Dundee?

One for Dennis, NMP, FB photo. Les.

les-p:
One for Dennis, NMP, FB photo. Les.

My Picture ! 1970

B &W shot circa 1971. Cheers Dennis.