roping and sheeting

Couple of robsons dafs

robthedog:
Couple of robsons dafs

That is a narrow fly sheet on the Robson load of UG must only be about 10ft wide and it’s not over long either ! :wink:

Couple of robsons fodens

Did Robson’s simply pack up or were they taken over? I can’t remember. :confused:

I think they were taken over by the same company who took over United carriers, think it was Bunzil but could be wrong

Bewick:

robthedog:
Couple of robsons dafs

That is a narrow fly sheet on the Robson load of UG must only be about 10ft wide and it’s not over long either ! :wink:

That’s because it’s not a fly sheet Dennis,it’s a bottle sheet.

David

5thwheel:

Bewick:

robthedog:
Couple of robsons dafs

David

Yea I’ll give you that David but IIHO it’s still too narrow fly sheet or bottle sheet !! :wink: And has the DAF in the second shot been jacknifed on the n/s or is it my eyes ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

robthedog:
Couple of robsons dafs

David

Yea I’ll give you that David but IIHO it’s still too narrow fly sheet or bottle sheet !! :wink: And has the DAF in the second shot been jacknifed on the n/s or is it my eyes ? Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I have had a good squint at this DAF, and the dark mark on the nearside cab door is a shadow of the nearside mirror. Cheers, Ray. :wink:

Your more than likely right Ray but it just looked a bit suspect to me ! Should make an appointment at Specsavers eh! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

atlas man:
I think they were taken over by the same company who took over United carriers, think it was Bunzil but could be wrong

Or was it GEODIS ?

Spardo:
Did Robson’s simply pack up or were they taken over? I can’t remember. :confused:

I thought that they were taken over by United Glass

robthedog:
Couple of robsons dafs

Here’s a better version of the same picture: I was the one who took the photo! It was taken at Farthing Corner on the M2. I was also the driver and I may have sheeted it myself or picked it up in the yard already sheeted. And yes, other posters are correct in thinking that it is loaded with new milk bottles out of United Glass in Queenborough, Sheppey. That would have been about August '89 IIRC. One windy day I very nearly went on a ‘magic carpet’ flight, as I was just putting the flysheet on and a gust lifted it with me still standing on it. Sixteen foot is a long way down. I stepped back off it and let it go across the yard. You wouldn’t be allowed up there today

Ro

robthedog:

atlas man:

Or was it GEODIS ?

I remember Bunzil taking them over as I worked for Atlas at the time, they closed us down and I think it was after that Geodis came and I think Robsons were part of the Bunzil group but could be wrong

coomsey:
Bet he was ready for a sit down after sheeting that up. NMP off FB

I recall a dozer was under that tarp possibly to hide it. :laughing: :laughing:

Dig

DIG:

coomsey:

I recall a dozer was under that tarp possibly to hide it. :laughing: :laughing:

Dig

Wouldn’t be the first time a tarp was used to disguise the load, rather than protect it. :laughing:

Bewick:

Stanfield:

Driven by Colin “Chuffer” Ellis a long serving Bewick driver loaded with 24 ton of high quality glossy mag paper en route to Manachester. We ran quite a number of P cab 112’s which gave excellent service. Cheers Dennis.

Just wondered Dennis where would that load have been picked up in London?
Spent all my school hoildays around that area in and out of the wharfs in the 70,s.
You always had the reeds paper company motors on the woolwich ferry and still got old back load numbers of firms like Edwards of hull greenwich etc
Dai

scania81:

Bewick:

Stanfield:

Driven by Colin “Chuffer” Ellis a long serving Bewick driver loaded with 24 ton of high quality glossy mag paper en route to Manachester. We ran quite a number of P cab 112’s which gave excellent service. Cheers Dennis.

Spent all my school hoildays around that area in and out of the wharfs in the 70,s.
You always had the reeds paper company motors on the woolwich ferry and still got old back load numbers of firms like Edwards of hull greenwich etc
Dai

Hi Dai
LIFT comes to mind as it was imported paper that we hauled back north from London .
Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

scania81:

Bewick:

Stanfield:

Dai

Hi Dai
LIFT comes to mind as it was imported paper that we hauled back north from London .
Cheers Dennis.

God that name still haunts me Dennis, spent many an hour or 5 waiting to be tipped at the LIFT.

coomsey:

Thought I had seen this pic before and here it is before and after definitely in disguise.

Dig

DIG:

coomsey:

Thought I had seen this pic before and here it is before and after definitely in disguise.

Dig

And folk wonder why they invented curtain siders. I’m glad I were on the tippers cheers coomsey