roping and sheeting

ramone:
Am i reading this right , your headbord must be as high as your load?. What if you were carrying empty pallets, or wool or glass bottles or any number of high cube loads. The headboards would have to be 16 ft high with some of these , and this in an eco friendly world . FFS what next

gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance
"Height of the load
Another issue to consider is the height of the load in relation to the height of the headboard.

Where a vehicle is laden with a large indivisible load, the headboard can provide support as long as the load cannot topple over the height of the headboard.

If the load could topple over the headboard then additional securing will be required, such as cross strapping to the front, if indeed the chosen vehicle is suitable for the load.

Items above the headboard
Individual items which are above the headboard (such as scaffolding pipes or large wooden planks) will need either:

extra suitable securing to increase the down force
an intermediate bulkhead"

Enough straps to increase down force and good to go I reckon?
EDIT red highlight is mine, text is direct quote

no not really as its not posible with empty pallets 22 high but they want to see load secured if its above a headboard

ie cross straps they dont like rope these days

as dan says they dont like gaps either so they want to see goods blocked or chocked

its all common sense stuff really but most of the time not practical

Mike Ponsonby:
no not really as its not posible with empty pallets 22 high but they want to see load secured if its above a headboard

as dan says they dont like gaps either so they want to see goods blocked or chocked

We have approximately 1 ton bales of waste coming out of our place, i cringe when i see how they load them . Doubled up two across then a gap so that when they are unliaded at the docks the wrapping doesn’t get damaged. They ratchet strap each block of four , but when they get moving the bales settle and because of the too and fro movement they look like a recipe for disaster. Surely not legal . There’s one haulier from Hull that loads them on flat trailers
it makes no sense to me

Last week A82, Ferguson carts a lot of farmed fish feed, ropes not straps, note the average speed cameras.
Oily

A few more.
Oily

ramone:

Mike Ponsonby:

We have approximately 1 ton bales of waste coming out of our place, i cringe when i see how they load them . Doubled up two across then a gap so that when they are unliaded at the docks the wrapping doesn’t get damaged. They ratchet strap each block of four , but when they get moving the bales settle and because of the too and fro movement they look like a recipe for disaster. Surely not legal . There’s one haulier from Hull that loads them on flat trailers
it makes no sense to me

Never had a load slip forward, 90% of our loads were either wool or bottles 14 to 15ft high roped and sheeted not strapped on a trailer with a 2ft headboard, what a load of balls. Les.

They would be buggered with a load of corn stooks off to thresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les-p:

ramone:

Mike Ponsonby:

it makes no sense to me

Never had a load slip forward, 90% of our loads were either wool or bottles 14 to 15ft high roped and sheeted not strapped on a trailer with a 2ft headboard, what a load of balls. Les.

You have to see these loads Les to believe it . The bales are wrapped in black plastic , none are that good 2 across 2 straight on top then a gap and then the same again. Not tied in just one on top of the other . They load them on curtainsiders mainly but now and then a flat. The leechate runs out of the bottom , i cant believe none have gone yet , Mr Vosa will have a field day if he ever checks one.

How would these trailer loads go, they were ok in West Aus but in the Northern Territory they wouldn’t load with out at least a sheet of ply against the head racks.
I might add this was a few years ago things may have changed now.

Dig

DIG:
How would these trailer loads go, they were ok in West Aus but in the Northern Territory they wouldn’t load with out at least a sheet of ply against the head racks.

Dig

They look perfectly safe to me Dig, especially if the pipes are butted against the racks, and the racks are strapped, or roped, securely back. But you do surprise me, I always thought of the Territory being less regulated than the States. In my time the only time we felt the restrictions of the law was the road train ban in Kunnanurra, which is as you know, after we left the border and into West Aus, :confused:

ramone:

Mike Ponsonby:

it makes no sense to me

if there sheeted and roped in between i dont see a problem thats how we roll but your modern day driver would have no clue

Mike Ponsonby:

ramone:

Mike Ponsonby:

it makes no sense to me

if there sheeted and roped in between i dont see a problem thats how we roll but your modern day driver would have no clue

Well yes but i dont mean a small gap i mean wide enough to get the fork lift clamps in without touching the next stack , 1 strap over each stack of 4 and off they go. The sheet would stop them moving back n forth but the bales aren’t even that good. Something will give eventually

Spardo:

DIG:

Dig

They look perfectly safe to me Dig, especially if the pipes are butted against the racks, and the racks are strapped, or roped, securely back. But you do surprise me, I always thought of the Territory being less regulated than the States. In my time the only time we felt the restrictions of the law was the road train ban in Kunnanurra, which is as you know, after we left the border and into West Aus, :confused:

You would have liked this job David,the pipe was Poly pipe being laid for several kms on the surface so an iron ore mine could pump water out of the mine area.
The job involved me taking one trailer at a time along a track bulldozed in the bush and unloading the pipe one at a time along the track the trick was having a chap standing on the load and a 4wd ute following me with a fella in the back with a rope with a hook on one end he would throw the hook up to my passenger who would hook it in the front of a pipe the ute would stop and the pipe would slide out the back and the hook would be detached and thrown back up again to start the whole procedure again .This pipe is heat welded together by a machine which travelled behind us.
Don’t think the mine safety officers ever visited this operation. :wink: :wink:
I couldn’t take any photos of this operation as I was to busy driving without getting bogged or staking tyres on fairly rough little track.

Dig

DIG:
You would have liked this job David,the pipe was Poly pipe being laid for several kms on the surface so an iron ore mine could pump water out of the mine area.
The job involved me taking one trailer at a time along a track bulldozed in the bush and unloading the pipe one at a time along the track the trick was having a chap standing on the load and a 4wd ute following me with a fella in the back with a rope with a hook on one end he would throw the hook up to my passenger who would hook it in the front of a pipe the ute would stop and the pipe would slide out the back and the hook would be detached and thrown back up again to start the whole procedure again .This pipe is heat welded together by a machine which travelled behind us.
Don’t think the mine safety officers ever visited this operation. :wink: :wink:
I couldn’t take any photos of this operation as I was to busy driving without getting bogged or staking tyres on fairly rough little track.

Dig

Hang on now, that last picture looks a whole different kettle of fish mate, not so much the danger of pipes shooting forward but I would be worried that the smaller ones at the top could squash sideways thereby slackening the ropes/straps securing them. It looks to me that the larger pipes between the bolsters are secured independently by ropes or straps tensioned with ratchets, so they are fine though. Did you really travel with those top ones like that, or was that taken as you were in the process of preparing to drop the 2nd trailer and begin the ‘shedding’ process?

Now I know that the pipes were not steel, the whole thing leaves me more relaxed. I had an issue with Econofreight about carrying 20 foot long but very small diameter steel pipes (about 6 inches I think) in 2 pyramid stacks. A hell of a lot of rope was needed as each layer was roped before the next went on, not hitched, the ‘new’ layer nestled between the lower ones and tightened the rope which was then hitched before being thrown back. A lot of running back and forth from side to side but even worse at Liverpool docks where most of them went. There the danger was enhanced as, left alone on the stack attaching muliple hooks, one driver from another firm was killed as he slipped after the ‘wrong’ ends wre hooked and a whole layer followed him to the ground and crushed him. I, as union rep, requested that we always travel in twos thereby avoiding walking on the tops of the pipes. Refused. But we got round it by refusing ourselves once at the docks until another load arrived for the drivers to pair up. A very dodgy business nevertheless.

A couple of cap tarps secured the few lengths of smaller pipe I took them off while i was waiting for the pipe crew to arrive ,I have never seen rope used to secure pipe in any form sounds bloody dangerous.

Dig

DIG:
A couple of cap tarps secured the few lengths of smaller pipe I took them off while i was waiting for the pipe crew to arrive ,I have never seen rope used to secure pipe in any form sounds bloody dangerous.

Dig

No choice before the advent of straps, and in the case of the very small diametre pipes, they probably performed better than straps would because as each pipe nestled between the 2 below it that tightened the rope on that lower layer. When the pyramid was complete the rope that was pulled over was double hitched forcing the whole stack even more downwards. The lower pipes could not be pushed aside because all that did was tighten the ropes on that layer.

The danger was not in the traveling but in the unloading. Even with 2 drivers helping each other it was dangerous. At Liverpool, the only docks that I remember taking them to sadly, the method used was a doddery old 3 wheel mobile crane would pull up alongside. It had probably 12 chains hanging from the block each with a hook on the end. The lorry driver had to hook the ends of 6 pipes before tightrope walking along the topmost pipe to the other end and hooking the remaining pipes there. If he got it wrong and put one hook on a wrong pipe, that is, one that was not hooked at the other end, that pipe would be lifted unevenly with the hook then falling out. It was anyone’s guess where that pipe went then and the poor driver was often in the firing line for it. All this was done on a layer of pipes from which the rope had been removed, thus very unstable to walk on without all the other stuff going on. Dockers would simply not allow time for a driver to hook and then jump down to release the rope. It was an outrage that it was allowed to happen and our unilateral action at Econofreight in waiting for another wagon to arrive so that drivers could help each other and not walk on pipes at all, was a lifesaver.

As regards ropes and pipes in principle.
I was taking loads of pipes of all sizes, steel and concrete, out of Stanton Ironworks for years, all with ropes and mainly to roadside or even off road sites. Never had a problem. If you do the job properly, double hitch where necessary, protect from sharp edges and keep an eye out for slackening, tightening if required, what could go wrong? :wink: :laughing: The loading crews at Stanton were excellent with strategically placed scotches and chocks, nailed to the deck, all the driver had to do was make sure everything stayed where it was supposed to do. :smiley:

Dig, is that truck one of Verdon’s?

Star down under.:
Dig, is that truck one of Verdon’s?

No mate mine but painted when I took delivery in the company colours of Clan Contracting of Derby West OZ who paid for the paint job i.m pleased to say.
Dig

Cheers Dig. When I put mine to work for Big Hungry Pricks, they gave us a 4 litre tin of the cheapest enamel available.

Star down under.:
Cheers Dig. When I put mine to work for Big Hungry Pricks, they gave us a 4 litre tin of the cheapest enamel available.

Mine was touch and go as the paint shop had 7 days to do it and then the sign writer one day I pretty well drove it out from
under him.
Did they supply a soft broom with the paint .
. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: