roping and sheeting

Spardo:
Weren’t Span Sets the up and over tensioners rather than ratchets? Or am I thinking of something else? I had both at one time or another but the heavy duty ratchets were unbeatable.

And you are right about sharp edges. A driver of ours scattered a full load of steel sheets all over Mansfield Road Redhill (Nottingham) and I couldn’t understand how it happened, until I went there to help with the clear up and saw the sliced straps and not a sleeve in sight. We kept him on, duly chastised, because I knew if he was sacked the next bloke might do the same thing, but he never would. And didn’t. He, and we, were very lucky not to face charges for that though.

I used to work for a heavy engineering company, most loads were strapped because of weight etc, I used to find some old cardboard boxes which can be found in pretty much any environment a lorry goes to, fold them over to make corners, with those and sleeves never had a problem, my straps lasted me for years.

Cablite advert from 1972.

sheets 1972 p.PNG

A tidy load of big logs safe and secured on a cracking outfit !

Better hope the Dvsa don’t stop it Denzil or a fine would be issued for load above headboard height :open_mouth: yea haa :wink:

Punchy Dan:
Better hope the Dvsa don’t stop it Denzil or a fine would be issued for load above headboard height :open_mouth: yea haa :wink:

Aye OK Dan’l but jealousy will get you no where ! :blush: But I doubt that you and the “Foden” could have even tackled that job unless the Customer was in no hurry and he didn’t mind some of the logs cut in half so you could load them. ! So just answer me this as it seems that you are talking through what you sit on ! as how come all the shots that the “Oil reader” puts on of the many Scots hauliers carrying round timber without having headboards you don’t get on board those shots quoting the VOSA bollox ? And that shot on P737 of those few bits of timber in the back of the Foden well I rest my case ! the word “messer” comes to mind looking at that shot ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Aye OK Dan’l but jealousy will get you no where ! :blush: But I doubt that you and the “Foden” could have even tackled that job unless the Customer was in no hurry and he didn’t mind some of the logs cut in half so you could load them. ! So just answer me this as it seems that you are talking through what you sit on ! as how come all the shots that the “Oil reader” puts on of the many Scots hauliers carrying round timber without having headboards you don’t get on board those shots quoting the VOSA bollox ? And that shot on P737 of those few bits of timber in the back of the Foden well I rest my case ! the word “messer” comes to mind looking at that shot ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

They are being cracked down on Denzil ,this isn’t a new thing either it’s a few yrs now since we had to send a rigid hiab to crick weighbridge to reduce the load height on a trailer ,you will note that all the Punchard’s trailers now have proper height headboards which could carry that load legally unlike your compadre :wink:

You my need a cherry picker Denzil to get a tarp over these :laughing: :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

They are being cracked down on Denzil ,this isn’t a new thing either it’s a few yrs now since we had to send a rigid hiab to crick weighbridge to reduce the load height on a trailer ,you will note that all the Punchard’s trailers now have proper height headboards which could carry that load legally unlike your compadre :wink:

Well I will have to come clean here Dan’l as that shot was taken quite a few years ago and that unit is long gone off the fleet I think so I do not believe that whatever Vosa rules you are quoting applied at that time ! However, I am waiting with “bated breath” to hear what you have to say about the Scots round timber Hauliers ! That will be a real bundle of laughs especially when one of them carves you and the Foden up when you are in Scotland ! The silence is deafening !! :blush: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

twitter.com/RoadPolicing/status … 5055336452
I rest my case ,I’am sure those Scottish logger men will thank you for drawing attention to them :open_mouth:,I’ve heard once you’ve been in the dock it’s a while before they leave you alone :wink:

Punchy Dan:
https://twitter.com/RoadPolicing/status/1392092405055336452
I rest my case ,I’am sure those Scottish logger men will thank you for drawing attention to them :open_mouth:,I’ve heard once you’ve been in the dock it’s a while before they leave you alone :wink:

Now come on Dan’l it was you that spouted about headboard height :open_mouth: not me ! I have never been in the dock period ! :wink: But I note that the Punchard Group keeps you and the “asthmatic” Foden out of their publicity shots ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Now come on Dan’l it was you that spouted about headboard height :open_mouth: not me ! I have never in the dock period ! :wink: But I note that the Punchard Group keeps you and the “asthmatic” Foden out of their publicity shots ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

50 lorries in the Group Denzil 98% euro 6 :unamused: not sure if that’s a good thing :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Now come on Dan’l it was you that spouted about headboard height :open_mouth: not me ! I have never in the dock period ! :wink: But I note that the Punchard Group keeps you and the “asthmatic” Foden out of their publicity shots ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

50 lorries in the Group Denzil 98% euro 6 :unamused: not sure if that’s a good thing :open_mouth:

can I ask what makes up the other 2% ? :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Regarding headboards: by coincidence I had a lift on monday with a friend who drove LAD cabbed Dodge four wheelers for Matlock Transport back in the 60’s and he mentioned that company policy at that time insisted that whatever loads they had must be stacked no higher than the headboard. Even part loads were charged as full so I suppose it made sense really.

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Pot, Kettle, Black.

Just saying like!!!

not.jpeg

L1.jpg

sprinter.jpeg

timber.jpeg

Well Dan’l I’ve seen it all now !! :open_mouth: There is a saying " Do as I say not as I do" and you certainly fit that statement. I know which outfit I would feel safer in between the MAP Scania and one of those Skateboards and it sure wouldn’t be in the Skateboard !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A very tidy job and a nice livery on the Volvo

its all gone quiet over there

Mike Ponsonby:
its all gone quiet over there

Hi Mike the royal we got one stopped last week with wire rope through wheel :open_mouth: ,load was 4tf from the headboard although not above :laughing: driver waited for sprinter to take empty pallets out to fill gap then it took Dvsa man all day the next day to return and remove wire ,he’s said picture evidence wasn’t very good :unamused:

Am i reading this right , your headbord must be as high as your load?. What if you were carrying empty pallets, or wool or glass bottles or any number of high cube loads. The headboards would have to be 16 ft high with some of these , and this in an eco friendly world . FFS what next

ramone:
Am i reading this right , your headbord must be as high as your load?. What if you were carrying empty pallets, or wool or glass bottles or any number of high cube loads. The headboards would have to be 16 ft high with some of these , and this in an eco friendly world . FFS what next

My thoughts entirely, Ramone. :unamused:

There are headboards and headboards, but equally there is expert securing and less expert securing. What do they teach in driving schools these days? I never had any formal training, I never took a test, and, in 50 odd years, I never lost a load.

And for many of those journeys, I had no headboard at all. At Midlands Storage we had 40’ Pitt trailers, completely flush deck, carrying giant loads of roped and sheeted Raleigh bikes, amongst other things.