roping and sheeting

DIG:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Star down under.:
:lol: the one bum wide and two high applied to any sleeper in my day. We didn’t have any of the flash, high rooved Taj Mahals, unfortunately.
B61, swinging two, you needed pairs of thongs. With only one pair, you’d still burn your feet on the floor. Those quads could generate some heat.

Yes they did get a bit hot, but halfway through the Victoria River I stopped in the middle and fell out of the cab, just to cool down.
Afterwards somebody told me there were crocs in there. :open_mouth:
Of course, it might have been Aussie humour. :laughing:

We would see the humour David, but there are salties in Victoria River. Maybe they were crocodylus persnicketyus. :wink: :wink:

David croc shooting was in full swing in your era it stopped in the late 60s in WA my kids learnt to swim in the Fitzroy river we rarely saw one, they started to appear 3 or 4 years later I was stalked by one about a 12 footer on the low level crossing at Myrooda where i had been stoping each night to wash the lights and screen, the truck in front of me saw him in the water near where I had been stopping and waited until i arrived. no more night time paddles after that.
Dig

We are lucky in that respect not many crocs in the river aire , but we do have wild animals looting loads and syphoning diesel

Gees Ramone
At least we know where the crocs are in the rivers in northern Oz but don’t recall any Dingos or Kangaroos being to much of a problem plus a few wild Camels but wild animals Looters and fuel theft etc sounds like desperate animals and :open_mouth: people and would need a strong police presence. :open_mouth: :wink:

From the Schubert family album,The Schubert family sheared 13,000 sheep at Hamelin Station in 1977, here being loaded for transport to Perth. Not sure what make the truck is, have a guess at Nissan.

OZr Philiphist cc by sa 4.0 The Schubert family shore 13,000 sheep at Hamelin Station in 1977, here being loaded onto their trip for transport to Perth.jpg

oiltreader:
From the Schubert family album,The Schubert family sheared 13,000 sheep at Hamelin Station in 1977, here being loaded for transport to Perth. Not sure what make the truck is, have a guess at Nissan.

Hi Oily great photo, Its got an 8 stud front axle, Rather unusual for a three axle unit, Regards Larry.

oiltreader:

Mitsubishi Fuso.

Star down under.:

oiltreader:

Mitsubishi Fuso.

Thank you star down under.
Oily

oiltreader:

Star down under.:

oiltreader:

Mitsubishi Fuso.

Thank you star down under.
Oily

Good one Oily and SDU I recently put this on the HH site one of Gassys Fodens this particular one could have been a subby’s truck and the wool would have been loaded at one of the Gascoyn/Murchinson stations.
Dig

Hey,

Was roping & sheeting ever outlawed in the UK, or is it just that more secure methods have taken over?

Jamie MP:
Hey,

Was roping & sheeting ever outlawed in the UK, or is it just that more secure methods have taken over?

Curtainsiders was the death for R&S and as for ropes in our current legislative DVSA state they are considered insufficient so everything has to be strapped to within an inch of its life.
Some loads are still sheeted on flats but once again has to be ratchet strapped
All a load of bollox, as there’s probably more shed loads out of curtainsiders than there ever was from R&S loads

robthedog:

Jamie MP:
Hey,

Curtainsiders was the death for R&S and as for ropes in our current legislative DVSA state they are considered insufficient so everything has to be strapped to within an inch of its life.
Some loads are still sheeted on flats but once again has to be ratchet strapped
All a load of bollox, as there’s probably more shed loads out of curtainsiders than there ever was from R&S loads

Interesting. The issue with curtainsiders as well must be that it’s hard to tell from the outside how secure the load is. With rope/sheets, you can quite clearly see something is strapped down or not. I’ve done some trolly-dollying with sainsbury’s before, blasting carts down to the end of box trailers before, and using pallet truck to unload those. Though it takes substaintially longer to unload a box, you know for sure, that it’s not going to exit the trailer via the sides. Makes you wonder if they missed in a trick by allowing curtainsiders, evidentally makes the DVSA’s job harder to detect insecure loads from a distance.

I didn’t know that roping was against the law now but if it is I think it is a shame as, properly done, it was as safe as ratchets and straps. More flexible in fact for getting round awkward bits and it is possible that straps lead to over confidence with less areas being secured.

Regarding curtainsiders, there has always been a doubt with hidden security/non security because of the long history in continental Europe of tilts.

Spardo:
I didn’t know that roping was against the law now but if it is I think it is a shame as, properly done, it was as safe as ratchets and straps. More flexible in fact for getting round awkward bits and it is possible that straps lead to over confidence with less areas being secured.

Regarding curtainsiders, there has always been a doubt with hidden security/non security because of the long history in continental Europe of tilts.

Hiya,
Tilts, now that is a dirty word especially when your notes stated
“seal only to be broken by recipient”.I’d rather rope and sheet
two 40 footers than ■■■■ about putting a tilt back together when
picked up ready stripped down.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Tilts, now that is a dirty word especially when your notes stated
“seal only to be broken by recipient”.I’d rather rope and sheet
two 40 footers than ■■■■ about putting a tilt back together when
picked up ready stripped down.

Especially if the tilts were anything like so many of WhiteTrux’s, nothing seemed to fit, the bays all seemed to have different dimensions. Thank goodness there were usually a few of us at Savona delivering containers in them for the bold Colonel in Libya.

Just a reminder. :slight_smile:

les-p:

Just glancing over this S & R article I note with amusement the “advised” rope requirements for a 40ft flat are 5/6 200ft lengths ! FFS !!! :open_mouth: that equals about 1200 ft of rope or---- enough to form a net over the load IMHO . I recall that our 40 footers at BTS were always kitted out with 6/7 90 ft lengths which were usually adequate for most of the traffic we carried ,and each Driver always had the odd extra rope if it was needed. Obviously the Geezer wot writ this article considers himself to be an “Expert” but anyone with experience in the Craft will know otherwise ! :blush: :unamused: :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

les-p:

Just glancing over this S & R article I note with amusement the “advised” rope requirements for a 40ft flat are 5/6 200ft lengths ! FFS !!! :open_mouth: that equals about 1200 ft of rope or---- enough to form a net over the load IMHO . I recall that our 40 footers at BTS were always kitted out with 6/7 90 ft lengths which were usually adequate for most of the traffic we carried ,and each Driver always had the odd extra rope if it was needed. Obviously the Geezer wot writ this article considers himself to be an “Expert” but anyone with experience in the Craft will know otherwise ! :blush: :unamused: :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Somehow I thought you might have a comment Dennis, :smiley: ,I see the article came from Truck mag 1977 when most loads would be rope and sheet, maybe he was a rope salesman. Les.

les-p:
Somehow I thought you might have a comment Dennis, :smiley: ,I see the article came from Truck mag 1977 when most loads would be rope and sheet, maybe he was a rope salesman. Les.

No mention in that of ratchet straps, even said it would be ropes for the foreseeable future, or words to that effect. I am sure my brother and I bought straps in the 70s, I even still have 3 here now.

No longer needed for loads on lorries, they have held up trees which might be a danger till I could get round to them, helped with the felling of said trees, lashed a dead fridge freezer to a sack barrow to get it out of the house and helped me pull myself out of the steep sided pond after a swim. :laughing:

Plus loads more uses. I can’t remember how much we paid for them, but whatever it was, it wasn’t enough. A real bargain. :smiley:

I bought a few sets of Span Sets as their brand name was called in the 70’s they were a bit more handier than chains and dwangs but you had to be careful about putting them over 'owt sharp even though they had small sliding sleeves to cushion them over anything “debatable” ! But chains and dwangs were always used over anything sharp and 'ard ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Weren’t Span Sets the up and over tensioners rather than ratchets? Or am I thinking of something else? I had both at one time or another but the heavy duty ratchets were unbeatable.

And you are right about sharp edges. A driver of ours scattered a full load of steel sheets all over Mansfield Road Redhill (Nottingham) and I couldn’t understand how it happened, until I went there to help with the clear up and saw the sliced straps and not a sleeve in sight. We kept him on, duly chastised, because I knew if he was sacked the next bloke might do the same thing, but he never would. And didn’t. He, and we, were very lucky not to face charges for that though.