roping and sheeting

Carryfast:

matamoros:
I often wonder how ‘poxy pieces of canvas’ with no load bearing capabilities managed to be the main driving force for many thousands of sailing ships carrying millions of tons of shipping around the world for many hundreds of years :smiley:

Haven’t you ever heard of having to climb into the rigging to reef/furl the sails for a storm.Why was that. :bulb:

youtube.com/watch?v=sUhKBZb7A7c

youtube.com/watch?v=qDjwqpRG2CU

Everything has a breaking point, even ratchet straps, the point is that the ‘poxy canvas sheet’ has considerable load bearing capability when tensioned and no one is saying that a canvas sheet is suitable for every load restraining situation.

A load of Pig Iron ( loose in lumps) destined for the Ford foundry at Dagenham so how would “CF” propose to keep that load on the flat without sheeting it ? Bewick.

Bewick:

windrush:
Ideally it needs just a few more straps or ropes to contain this lot, yet another driver who thinks that sheets don’t retain the load! :wink:

Pete.

Over to The Great Leatherhead Pillock for further advice !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Blimey.We’ve got the full house of muppetry no need for gloves when heaving on ropes all day,the sheet holds the load,the ropes hold the sheet and lets’ use a flat to haul a load that should go in a tipper.You don’t need my advice carry on but leave me out of it. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Spiers Foden FG St Ivel.jpg

Sentinels of Spillers.jpg

Two of examples of loads where anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the job, let alone intelligence, will agree that the sheet is an integral part of securing the load, irrespective of it weather proofing the products. If the ropes alone were used then every stack would require roping on all three loads and there aren’t enough rope hooks available for that. If I had been sheeting and roping the packs of flour on the Sentinels then over the sheet one rope on the first stack, then alternate rope hooks until the back wheels, then every rope hook to the rear of the flat. The Foden’s load probably would require every rope hook, and judging by the lack of hooks on the cross members then some split hook roping would be necessary. I might have been driving a desk for more years than enough but from being 14 years old I was entrusted to sheet and rope loads unsupervised.

We regularly took loads of 45gal/205 litre drums of liquids. They were on flat square pallets but not secured to them in any way. The bases of the drums weren’t inside a rave as they were when hand-balled on.
How would one secure them without a sheet?
Cover them with a sheet, rope between pallets to keep the drums centralised on the boards, and away you go.
Hand-ball drums on a trailer with a rave, all you need to secure them is a cross with a couple of barrel hitches above the swage lines and all’s good.

Carryfast:

dave docwra:
I agree with everything Carryfast said, but I would still do it the proper way :smiley:

What could possibly go wrong as you explain to the copper the ropes hold the sheets and the sheets hold the load and he says what load all I can see is a ripped to shreds sheet hanging on the truck. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Never had that issue as the load was roped or if required sheeted and roped to keep it in place wether it needed to be kept dry or not, I wonder how many rope hooks you would need to use to sheet a load of potatoes in sacks without sheets?

dave docwra:

Carryfast:

dave docwra:
I agree with everything Carryfast said, but I would still do it the proper way :smiley:

What could possibly go wrong as you explain to the copper the ropes hold the sheets and the sheets hold the load and he says what load all I can see is a ripped to shreds sheet hanging on the truck. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Never had that issue as the load was roped or if required sheeted and roped to keep it in place wether it needed to be kept dry or not, I wonder how many rope hooks you would need to use to sheet a load of potatoes in sacks without sheets?

And loads of tyres without sheeting them first. I’m sure the old Spiers of Melksham and Brian Harris drivers would have some comments to make. Those two firms carried tyres on flats every day.

Look Carryfast i told you to sheet the f—in pig, " sorry guys " .Les.

images.jpg

dave docwra:

Carryfast:

dave docwra:

Hang on Dave while the VOSA Man consults his book of words ! Yes we have a decision " one strap over every tatie" well that’s what his book says so it must be reet ! :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

> Carryfast:
> Haven’t you ever heard of having to climb into the rigging to reef/furl the sails for a storm.Why was that. :bulb:

Some of us have CF - possibly Ramone - but I have:- Square riggers, Luggers & Ketches, you reef the sails because their power will take you under or smash your masts & rigging.

What council boats did you learn on while searching for the Golden Rivit ■■ :blush:

whisperingsmith:
> Carryfast:
> Haven’t you ever heard of having to climb into the rigging to reef/furl the sails for a storm.Why was that. :bulb:

Some of us have CF - possibly Ramone - but I have:- Square riggers, Luggers & Ketches, you reef the sails because their power will take you under or smash your masts & rigging.

shipspotting.com/gallery/pho … lid=601163

gingerfold:

Two of examples of loads where anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the job, let alone intelligence, will agree that the sheet is an integral part of securing the load, irrespective of it weather proofing the products. If the ropes alone were used then every stack would require roping on all three loads and there aren’t enough rope hooks available for that. If I had been sheeting and roping the packs of flour on the Sentinels then over the sheet one rope on the first stack, then alternate rope hooks until the back wheels, then every rope hook to the rear of the flat. The Foden’s load probably would require every rope hook, and judging by the lack of hooks on the cross members then some split hook roping would be necessary. I might have been driving a desk for more years than enough but from being 14 years old I was entrusted to sheet and rope loads unsupervised.

Yes not an ideal situation and it’s not rocket science to understand that the sheet was being used to compensate for the lack of rope passes over all the seperate rows of sacks itself a risky undertaking but probably not a deal breaker.

Unlike comparing the apples v oranges situation of roping ‘between’ paper reels or drums,thereby being totally reliant on the integrity of the sheet to secure that specific type of load v the tension of the ropes v the restraining forces of the load acting on it.

At which point you’re getting into the realms of why bother with the ropes at all might as well just dolly the sheet ties.What could possibly go wrong. :open_mouth: :unamused:

You lads have missed an opportunity here, CF stated that you can’t rope and sheet without gloves for a week without needing skin grafts, proof, not that its required, that CF is talking out of his arse! I never used gloves after the first time I roped a load on, I’ve also never had a skin graft and I’m sure lots of you will say the same.

Talking of apples to oranges, over here in the colonies we do things differently, the sheets are called tarps and they’re a similar material to a fly sheet, we use straps as ropes, A, don’t have a WLL stamped on them (working load limit) and B, a rope put on in a southern state would be about as flexible as a length of rebar anywhere north of I-40 in the colder months. Oh and C, most of the clowns over here couldn’t tie their own shoelaces, let alone be trusted to secure a load with ropes.

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Bewick:
As the saying goes " Give a Bloke enough rope and he will hang himself" and The Great Carryfast is defo exhibit No.1 ! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya,
Dennis, there’s an Ah’ but here, would the learned gentleman know “where
given sufficient rope” would know to put the said rope in the correct place
to ensure his speedy demise.

Hi “H” I reckon I’ve enough rope left here to “do the honours” and make a noose for “CF” !! :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:
and if that’s not enough rope for the job “H” I’ll just knock up a longer length ! What’s that Clint Eastwood film called " Hang 'em High" ? Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
A Dundee cross to tighten the arse end up should use that bit up Dennis.

No explanation really needed off me, see the post off Franglais CF!

That is exactly how I sheeted and roped the drums of vinegar, sheet it as tight as possible and then start in the middle with the ropes, working towards the front first and then the back, that way there was enough sheet to go between the drums, if I started at the front I found that the sheet was too tight to create a valley as you reached the back. It was one of those loads with one way to do it right and a million ways to do it wrong.

pete smith:
No explanation really needed off me, see the post off Franglais CF!

Great example Pete, great example!!! Erm… hang on… it’s about the load isn’t it… I’ll get me coat…

newmercman:
You lads have missed an opportunity here, CF stated that you can’t rope and sheet without gloves for a week without needing skin grafts, proof, not that its required, that CF is talking out of his arse! I never used gloves after the first time I roped a load on, I’ve also never had a skin graft and I’m sure lots of you will say the same.

Talking of apples to oranges, over here in the colonies we do things differently, the sheets are called tarps and they’re a similar material to a fly sheet, we use straps as ropes, A, don’t have a WLL stamped on them (working load limit) and B, a rope put on in a southern state would be about as flexible as a length of rebar anywhere north of I-40 in the colder months. Oh and C, most of the clowns over here couldn’t tie their own shoelaces, let alone be trusted to secure a load with ropes.

I can’t use ropes with gloves on, the gloves are to thick, so can’t really “feel” what I’m doing, if that makes sense?

Franglais:
We regularly took loads of 45gal/205 litre drums of liquids. They were on flat square pallets but not secured to them in any way. The bases of the drums weren’t inside a rave as they were when hand-balled on.
How would one secure them without a sheet?
Cover them with a sheet, rope between pallets to keep the drums centralised on the boards, and away you go.
Hand-ball drums on a trailer with a rave, all you need to secure them is a cross with a couple of barrel hitches above the swage lines and all’s good.

Absolutely. I once did a load of palletised drums, exactly as you describe, in the winter of 1970 when I was 21. The load was for ICI at Billingham, loaded the previous afternoon on a Seddon 14/4/400 rigid, 12 pallets 48 drums, 10 pallets on the flat, a second tier of two pallets on top. A full skein of rope was needed for those two pallets alone, over the sheet. Next morning, 05.00 start and a frosty morning with about 3" snow, roads were reasonably good, salt spreaders had done their job. Decided to go A58 Blackstone Edge, Littleborough to Ripponden instead of going round on the level via Todmordon to Mytholmroyd, the M62 wasn’t fully joined up back then. The climb up to the summit of Blackstone Edge was good, then when I got to the Lancashire and Yorkshire border the Yorkshire side hadn’t seen the gritters or snow plough, and the snow was deeper. it was definitely squeaky bum time with that load and I went down the steepest hill into Ripponden in second gear, frightened of touching the brake pedal. It was one of those occasions when I thought to myself “why did I come that way”.

80 x 45 Gal drums safely secured !

Load of Pig Iron for Midland Roller makers Crewe----had go on a flat and was unloaded by magnet.
So I wonder what pearls of advice the Leatherhead ■■■■■■■■ will be passing down to us Muppets !!