roping and sheeting

pete smith:
No explanation really needed off me, see the post off Franglais CF!

No one is saying it didn’t happen.That’s not the same thing as saying it’s correct practice. :unamused:

newmercman:
You lads have missed an opportunity here,

So did I.You didn’t provide an answer to that question.Would you be allowed to ‘secure’ a load along the obvious lines of the sheet holds the load and the straps hold the sheet as you’re describing under DOT load securement rules.I’m guessing similar rules as clearly stated in the NZ information in that case ?.

pv83:

newmercman:
You lads have missed an opportunity here, CF stated that you can’t rope and sheet without gloves for a week without needing skin grafts, proof, not that its required, that CF is talking out of his arse! I never used gloves after the first time I roped a load on, I’ve also never had a skin graft and I’m sure lots of you will say the same.

Talking of apples to oranges, over here in the colonies we do things differently, the sheets are called tarps and they’re a similar material to a fly sheet, we use straps as ropes, A, don’t have a WLL stamped on them (working load limit) and B, a rope put on in a southern state would be about as flexible as a length of rebar anywhere north of I-40 in the colder months. Oh and C, most of the clowns over here couldn’t tie their own shoelaces, let alone be trusted to secure a load with ropes.

I can’t use ropes with gloves on, the gloves are to thick, so can’t really “feel” what I’m doing, if that makes sense?

The one and only time I tried roping wearing gloves the ends of the glove fingers kept getting trapped in the dolly knot. :blush:

gingerfold:

pv83:

newmercman:
You lads have missed an opportunity here, CF stated that you can’t rope and sheet without gloves for a week without needing skin grafts, proof, not that its required, that CF is talking out of his arse! I never used gloves after the first time I roped a load on, I’ve also never had a skin graft and I’m sure lots of you will say the same.

Talking of apples to oranges, over here in the colonies we do things differently, the sheets are called tarps and they’re a similar material to a fly sheet, we use straps as ropes, A, don’t have a WLL stamped on them (working load limit) and B, a rope put on in a southern state would be about as flexible as a length of rebar anywhere north of I-40 in the colder months. Oh and C, most of the clowns over here couldn’t tie their own shoelaces, let alone be trusted to secure a load with ropes.

I can’t use ropes with gloves on, the gloves are to thick, so can’t really “feel” what I’m doing, if that makes sense?

The one and only time I tried roping wearing gloves the ends of the glove fingers kept getting trapped in the dolly knot. :blush:

Yep , i was the same but i did use gloves to take the ropes and sheets off

gingerfold:

pv83:

I’m not exactly sure what he did there it’s new to me but it worked and I could/can do it just the same tying the usual dolly in the usual way wearing similar gloves and look no sheets because it’s the straps/ropes which are meant to hold the load.

That’s how I did the job and,with the exception of having learn’t something new concerning tying a dolly :smiley: ,that’s how I did the job and it’s what I can understand.While what you’re saying is alien to me and sounds like bollox. :confused:

youtube.com/watch?v=oYZIYMI7BNE

So as usual, everyone else is doing it wrong. It doesn’t matter what it is, narrow boats, engine choice, lorry spec, lorry configurations, roping and sheeting, politics, religion, football, you name it, if it’s got a time honored method of doing it, you could safely bet your life that Carryfast will do it differently and will argue to the death that his way is best.

I can imagine his younger years involved a lot of black eyes and fat lips [emoji1787]

newmercman:
So as usual, everyone else is doing it wrong. It doesn’t matter what it is, narrow boats, engine choice, lorry spec, lorry configurations, roping and sheeting, politics, religion, football, you name it, if it’s got a time honored method of doing it, you could safely bet your life that Carryfast will do it differently and will argue to the death that his way is best.

I can imagine his younger years involved a lot of black eyes and fat lips [emoji1787]

To be fair the example in the video didn’t seem to be subjected to any such witch hunt.Picture the scene Bewick and Gingerfold with their pitchforks running at him shouting you can’t do it like that.No gloves and sheet it first. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

newmercman:

I imagine his younger years involved him being on his own alot :wink:

ramone:

newmercman:

I do believe he is still kept in “solitary” at night nowadays for his own safety and even during the day he is always under close supervision. I also reckon there are a few of us on TN both past and present he would draw a “slap” off ! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Carryfast:

gingerfold:

pv83:

I’m not exactly sure what he did there it’s new to me but it worked and I could/can do it just the same tying the usual dolly in the usual way wearing similar gloves and look no sheets because it’s the straps/ropes which are meant to hold the load.

That’s how I did the job and,with the exception of having learn’t something new concerning tying a dolly :smiley: ,that’s how I did the job and it’s what I can understand.While what you’re saying is alien to me and sounds like bollox. :confused:

Come of it “CF” you are flattering yourself — Talking Bollox is alien to you ? :blush: Do me a ■■■■■■■ favour you never talk anything but Bollox so why are you claiming it’s “alien” to you ? :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Bewick:

ramone:

newmercman:

I do believe he is still kept in “solitary” at night nowadays for his own safety and even during the day he is always under close supervision. I also reckon there are a few of us on TN both past and present he would draw a “slap” off ! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: Cheers Bewick.

^^^^^^^^^^^ :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
In a perverse way I admire CF…despite everyone on here who has ever done any serious roping and sheeting telling him he’s talking ■■■■■■■■, he doesn’t give up and keeps coming back for more abuse. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Come of it “CF” you are flattering yourself — Talking Bollox is alien to you ? :blush: Do me a [zb] favour you never talk anything but Bollox so why are you claiming it’s “alien” to you ? :unamused: :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Notwithstanding the fact that yes I know holding the load on with the sheet and holding the sheet with the ropes happened.The question as to wether it’s a good idea is obviously open to argument and interpretation not only among VOSA etc here but also all around the world. :wink:

Getting back to the video not only was he wearing gloves which I agree with.But why didn’t you old uns show us how to tie a ‘dolly’ knot like he did it ? although a bit more difficult to do while wearing gloves but obviously no problem if you know what you’re doing. :smiley:

gingerfold:

Bewick:

ramone:

newmercman:

In a perverse way I admire CF…despite everyone on here who has ever done any serious roping and sheeting telling him he’s talking ■■■■■■■■, he doesn’t give up and keeps coming back for more abuse. :confused: :confused: :confused:

You mean like if someone had told me to remove all the ropes that I’d just tied down a load of reels with and only put them between the reels to tie down just the sheet to hold them.On that note you don’t know ‘serious sheeting’ unless you’ve only been given a tilt cover to get on and do it with.Then I get bonus points for not using any gloves even though I’ve still got the hard old blisters on my hands,from the healed up wounds,which were often agony to drive when doing lots of roping,which went with the territory of local general haulage,even using them let alone without. :open_mouth:

Refusal to obey the above instruction will result in two black eyes and a fat lip.Welcome to Bewick Transport. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gingerfold:

Bewick:

ramone:

newmercman:

In other words “GF” what you are saying is that “CF” gets more stick than a US Army Mule !!! :wink: :sunglasses: Cheers Dennis.

Just browsing the TN site I have just noticed that “Lord Leatherhead” has turned his full attention to sorting out the Irish Backstop conundrum so he must have accepted that his input to the Sheeting & Roping site has ran it’s course and that he finds his undoubted talents will be much more appreciated on the EU channel instead of having to dumb down and lower himself to the mundane task of trying to “edificate” us common ex Drivers ! Cheers Dennis.

newmercman:

Talking when he should have been listening…

Bewick:
Just browsing the TN site I have just noticed that “Lord Leatherhead” has turned his full attention to sorting out the Irish Backstop conundrum so he must have accepted that his input to the Sheeting & Roping site has ran it’s course and that he finds his undoubted talents will be much more appreciated on the EU channel instead of having to dumb down and lower himself to the mundane task of trying to “edificate” us common ex Drivers ! Cheers Dennis.

As you know I see the backstop issue as being no different to if Adolf had decided to make Ireland part of the 3rd Reich/Greater Germany and said he’ll either also take Ulster as part of the deal.Or just put up a border of his own as and where he felt like it there and Devalera had agreed with it. :laughing:

As for edificating anyone you did the job your way and I did it mine.Which meant using gloves for roping and going by the rule sheets are meant to keep the load dry not hold it on the truck.But definitely didn’t give anyone who did it your way two black eyes and a fat lip. :laughing:

Prior to going onto permanent night trunks,I used to load anything and everything at SoM, never used gloves to rope any load,but I did use gloves to sheet up because many Scottish loads emanated from ICI Grangemouth,and the sheets were quite contaminated with chemical spills,but no one from management seemed overly bothered when I mentioned it back in the traffic office.

David

Carryfast:

Bewick:

As you know I see the backstop issue as being no different to if Adolf had decided to make Ireland part of the 3rd Reich/Greater Germany and said he’ll either also take Ulster as part of the deal.Or just put up a border of his own as and where he felt like it there and Devalera had agreed with it. :laughing:

As for edificating anyone you did the job your way and I did it mine.Which meant using gloves for roping and going by the rule sheets are meant to keep the load dry not hold it on the truck.But definitely didn’t give anyone who did it your way two black eyes and a fat lip. :laughing:

The salient point you are missing here “CF” is I doubt very much if you have ever done any sheeting & roping ! By all the so called PC bollox you spout it would seemingly suggest that you most certainly have not operated at the “sharp end” of S & R. So when you are in the “hole” Son stop digging as you are only showing all and sundry what a real gob ■■■■■ you really are ! Cheers Bewick.

:laughing:

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Bewick:

The salient point you are missing here “CF” is I doubt very much if you have ever done any sheeting & roping ! By all the so called PC bollox you spout it would seemingly suggest that you most certainly have not operated at the “sharp end” of S & R. So when you are in the “hole” Son stop digging as you are only showing all and sundry what a real gob [zb] you really are ! Cheers Bewick.

:laughing: