roping and sheeting

dave docwra:
I agree with everything Carryfast said, but I would still do it the proper way :smiley:

What could possibly go wrong as you explain to the copper the ropes hold the sheets and the sheets hold the load and he says what load all I can see is a ripped to shreds sheet hanging on the truck. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

You know what, I can’t understand why you found it difficult to get a start in transport Carryfast, you would’ve been an asset to any lorry man with your superior knowledge of all things.

I do wonder how many miles of rope you would need to properly secure a load of cases of tower stacked crates or sacks as you would need to rope over every column of crates or sacks, you would have to have a load of extra hooks welded onto every trailer you pulled, although with that much rope you could probably get away without using a sheet as there would be so much rope over the load it wouldn’t get wet if you submerged it.

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Bewick:

Carryfast:
Oh wait.It puts Common Sense and old school practice into language that Richard Heads can understand.So did you read the short concise clear advice related to the use of Sheets ?. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

So come on pray tell when did you change your name by Deed Poll to “Richard Head”—Matron must have filled the documentation in for you I guess ! Cheers Bewick.

Answer the question Bewick did you read it or not ?.If so write in big capital letters what it said. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

F.Y.I. “[zb]” I did start to read the info but very quickly realised it was nothing more than an explanation of the bleeding obvious i.e. COMMON SENSE ! It was so much bollox I really do wonder about the likes of you Pal so much so that if you were offered info on “How to go to the Bog” and they missed out the bit that you had to “drop your kecks” first what would happen ■■? So when you were walking like John Wayne it would be no good saying “well the book said nowt about dropping 'me kecks first” eh! So who would have to clean that lot up ? [zb] ! Cheers Bewick.

You know Dennis that is exactly how i see this industry now, VOSA men “well its not in my rule book so i will have to do ya” no idea of how anything works but rules and rule books a plenty

Mr Carryfast,
Not wanting to sound rude, but how much roping and sheeting did you have to do on your parcel truck and the little tipper you drove for the council?
The phrase “Armchair Haulier” springs to mind, Thank you

Carryfast:

Bewick:
A 10ton load of loose Westmorland water worn rockery en route to the S.east so “CF” can you observe that it is the sheet that is keeping the pieces secure and then the load is roped over for additional security ! Cheers.

If you use a sheet in any way to ‘secure’ a load it’s a nick for an insecure load whichever side of the Atlantic it is.Bearing in mind that it’s common to either ‘secure’ a load without a sheet or without roping/strapping over the sheet.Let alone the silly idea of roping over the sheet but between the load thereby using just the sheet as the only means of securement which we’re talking about here. :unamused:

‘‘Straps first then the sheets’’.Feel free to explain how that works going by your logic. :bulb: Let me guess you’ll then say that bungees,( or sheet ties ),will do the same job as the straps or ropes in holding the load by just using them to tie down the the sheet over the load.IE the whole bs idea is trashed by the inconvenient fact of un sheeted loads or places where the expected practice is to rope/strap and then just sheet. :unamused:

youtube.com/watch?v=Aoqk2e1zk1A

Crikey Carryfast, have you ever been closer to a truck than this forum?
If I was asked to tow that trailer in your video, the prime mover would want ambulance tinted windows, so nobody could recognise me!

Some great comments but its like water of a ducks back where there’s no sense there’s no feeling. Les

Bloody hell , I could have had that load properly roped , sheeted and halfway there while he was buggering about . I don’t know where the font of all knowledge gets his whackey ideas from , but I never had to work with him thank goodness . He seems to try to teach his grandma to ■■■■ eggs as the saying goes .

As the saying goes " Give a Bloke enough rope and he will hang himself" and The Great Carryfast is defo exhibit No.1 ! Cheers Bewick.

newmercman:
You know what, I can’t understand why you found it difficult to get a start in transport Carryfast, you would’ve been an asset to any lorry man.

I do wonder how many miles of rope you would need to properly secure a load of cases of tower stacked crates or sacks as you would need to rope over every column of crates or sacks, you would have to have a load of extra hooks welded onto every trailer you pulled, although with that much rope you could probably get away without using a sheet as there would be so much rope over the load it wouldn’t get wet if you submerged it.

As Bewick said I’m obviously only going by the ‘common sense’ rules which I was taught.But no one said it was going to be easy.Especially in a country where trying to pile an 8 wheeler or even an 8 wheeler and trailer sized load onto a four wheeler seems to have been the default choice from day 1.:smiling_imp: :laughing:

On that note yes with hindsight trying to do whatever it took to emigrate to the ‘common sense’ of NZ or Oz was probably the best option for me.:wink:

pete smith:
Mr Carryfast,
Not wanting to sound rude, but how much roping and sheeting did you have to do on your parcel truck and the little tipper you drove for the council?
The phrase “Armchair Haulier” springs to mind, Thank you

More than enough is the right answer.You seem to have conveniently missed out my time working with a flat drop side 7.5 tonner carrying everything from stillages loaded with truck components to fibre glass tanks made by a large boat building firm.In addition to a considerable time spent on general haulage either using a tilt or a tilt stripped to a flat.In which I always went by the rule only sheet anything if I absolutely had to ( rarely except for paper reels which meant usually ) and if I did a sheet is not meant for anything other than keeping the load dry.As for the council I ‘actually’ mostly drove a Clydesdale multi lift again mostly using a flat body on it for general and plant haulage.

Really can’t understand the issue here.It’s not just some bs personal and incorrect view I’ve got which says that sheets are there to keep the load dry not to hold it on the truck. :confused:

Oh wait Bewick also reckons that a driver can do a week’s worth of roping and sheeting without using gloves and not end up in A and E needing skin grafts. :open_mouth:

I often wonder how ‘poxy pieces of canvas’ with no load bearing capabilities managed to be the main driving force for many thousands of sailing ships carrying millions of tons of shipping around the world for many hundreds of years :smiley:

Star down under.:

Carryfast:
youtube.com/watch?v=Aoqk2e1zk1A

Crikey Carryfast, have you ever been closer to a truck than this forum?
If I was asked to tow that trailer in your video, the prime mover would want ambulance tinted windows, so nobody could recognise me!

To be fair it was more about the question how can the ropes possibly hold the sheet and the sheet hold the load work in places where they rope/strap and sheet,as opposed to sheet and rope/strap,in the literal sense as Bewick views it.

Also bearing in mind the correct advice contained in the NZ guide which I posted and which Bewick said is just old school common sense.At least until I pointed out what it said regarding the use of sheets. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I just watched the video for about 3 minutes or so to where he had fastened the front or back , what a mess the wind would pull that apart in a breath , they have a different way of doing things over there

matamoros:
I often wonder how ‘poxy pieces of canvas’ with no load bearing capabilities managed to be the main driving force for many thousands of sailing ships carrying millions of tons of shipping around the world for many hundreds of years :smiley:

Haven’t you ever heard of having to climb into the rigging to reef/furl the sails for a storm.Why was that. :bulb:

youtube.com/watch?v=sUhKBZb7A7c

youtube.com/watch?v=qDjwqpRG2CU

ramone:
they have a different way of doing things over there

Not least the question why don’t they rope/strap over the sheets ?.While no answer so far to the question would they even allow the idea of the sheet holds the load the ropes/straps hold the sheet in any way shape or form ?.I’d guess the NZ rule answers that regardless.

Bewick:
As the saying goes " Give a Bloke enough rope and he will hang himself" and The Great Carryfast is defo exhibit No.1 ! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya,
Dennis, there’s an Ah’ but here, would the learned gentleman know “where
given sufficient rope” would know to put the said rope in the correct place
to ensure his speedy demise.

Carryfast:

ramone:
they have a different way of doing things over there

Not least the question why don’t they rope/strap over the sheets ?.While no answer so far to the question would they even allow the idea of the sheet holds the load the ropes/straps hold the sheet in any way shape or form ?.I’d guess the NZ rule answers that regardless.

You obviously have no concept no experience and no idea whatsoever about roping and sheeting dont worry you aren’t alone i’m sure plenty on here haven’t either mainly because they were born too late to experience it but no matter how many videos you put up or any amount of googling you do you cant bs your way out of this one leave well alone

harry_gill:

Bewick:

Hiya,
Dennis, there’s an Ah’ but here, would the learned gentleman know “where
given sufficient rope” would know to put the said rope in the correct place
to ensure his speedy demise.

Hi “H” I reckon I’ve enough rope left here to “do the honours” and make a noose for “CF” !! :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

and if that’s not enough rope for the job “H” I’ll just knock up a longer length ! What’s that Clint Eastwood film called " Hang 'em High" ? Cheers Dennis.

Ideally it needs just a few more straps or ropes to contain this lot, yet another driver who thinks that sheets don’t retain the load! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
Ideally it needs just a few more straps or ropes to contain this lot, yet another driver who thinks that sheets don’t retain the load! :wink:

Pete.

Over to The Great Leatherhead Pillock for further advice !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: