roping and sheeting

Carryfast:

Bewick:

Carryfast:
It also creates a better pull on the rope to put the dollies on the longer vertical side of the cross that goes over the top of the load rather than the short side of it coming around the back of it. :bulb: :wink:

Oh! no “CF” what a load of bollox ! I doubt whether you could sheet a single bed, never mind rope it as well ! Is there [zb] all you can’t do ? Well yes there is i.e. Sheet and rope a load :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Blimey with all your expertise I thought you’d realise that my way creates enough space along the rope for two dollies not just one and there’s no way that you’ll create the same amount of stretch even with one by putting it on that piddling short length around the back.On that note I wouldn’t have trusted you to rope the stacked pallets I sometimes carried Bewick.Although I’d have definitely got you to sheet them if you really wanted to.With my roping skills and your sheeting skills we’d have made a great team. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Let me guess “CF” you once had 4 m/t pallets on the back of a Skate Board with drop sides so they couldn’t fall off regardless of you weaving a rope net over it ! :wink: :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick

Did you ever come across drivers who gained extra leverage on a dolly by somehow looping the rope around their foot and pulled down on the dolly with both hands and a foot? After watching one driver do this I tried doing it myself once and nearly fell over… :blush: Reckon you needed plenty of practice for that and good balance.

gingerfold:
Did you ever come across drivers who gained extra leverage on a dolly by somehow looping the rope around their foot and pulled down on the dolly with both hands and a foot? After watching one driver do this I tried doing it myself once and nearly fell over… :blush: Reckon you needed plenty of practice for that and good balance.

Yes I have seen that done, the chap reckoned it was the best way to get extra tension on as his hands and arms were not that strong but as I haven’t a clue about sheeting/roping I will leave comments to the experts. Over to you CF… :wink:

Pete.

gingerfold:

Graham…“Putting the boot In” when roping up was something I did very often. During my years
of Roping & Sheeting, I was never more than 9 stone in weight…wet through, and only 5ft 4ins
in height. So to make sure that the load was secure, I did a lot of “Double Dollies”, and very often
“Put the boot In”. With regard to the present posts about putting a “Scotchman” on the back of
the load…If there was a centre hook at the rear of the lorry/trailer, I would do a Scotchman from
the centre of the crossropes, straight down to the centre hook. Any surplus rope would be wound
into a ponytail, and tied to the cross. Kind Regards, Ray.

gingerfold:

That’s the way my Dad taught me
Cheers Gary

image.jpeg
Is this what you had in mind for CF Dennis ? :wink:

Punchy Dan:
Is this what you had in mind for CF Dennis ? :wink:

“CF” should have been under the net Dan’l ! :wink: But having said that he wouldn’t be able to “fathom” the straps eh! Cheers Dennis. :confused: :confused:

I would never “put the boot in”, my opinion was it was easier and safer to double dolly the rope if I thought extra tension was needed. I would start the first “dolly” as high as I could reach then the second one at normal height for a hitch, this was adequate for most loads. I once saw driver put his back out when using his foot, when the loop came out, a lesson I never forgot. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
I would never “put the boot in”, my opinion was it was easier and safer to double dolly the rope if I thought extra tension was needed. I would start the first “dolly” as high as I could reach then the second one at normal height for a hitch, this was adequate for most loads. I once saw driver put his back out when using his foot, when the loop came out, a lesson I never forgot. Regards Kev.

Hiya,
Same method with me Kev but when I got to the required tension
I removed the second dolly usually enough rope to get to the next
hook, well you always needed a bit of extra rope for the Dundee
cross on the arse end I could never master hand and footing it.
thanks harry, long retired.

kevmac47:
my opinion was it was easier and safer to double dolly the rope if I thought extra tension was needed. I would start the first “dolly” as high as I could reach then the second one at normal height for a hitch, this was adequate for most loads.

Which,as I told Bewick,only works in the case of the front and rear crosses by putting the knots on the correct side of the cross which obviously means the long stretch over the top and not short bit round the back. :bulb: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

Hiya,
Same method with me Kev but when I got to the required tension
I removed the second dolly usually enough rope to get to the next
hook, well you always needed a bit of extra rope for the Dundee
cross on the arse end I could never master hand and footing it.
thanks harry, long retired.

I used to employ the same “dodge” occasionally “H” as once you had tightened it with the second hitch it was t-i-g-h-t as a crabs arse at a 100 fathoms eh! Cheers Dennis.

Carryfast:

kevmac47:
my opinion was it was easier and safer to double dolly the rope if I thought extra tension was needed. I would start the first “dolly” as high as I could reach then the second one at normal height for a hitch, this was adequate for most loads.

Which,as I told Bewick,only works in the case of the front and rear crosses by putting the knots on the correct side of the cross which obviously means the long stretch over the top and not short bit round the back. :bulb: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Oh! yes Master I bow to your superior, unapparelled, skill in the craft of Sheeting & Roping ! Cheers, Glass Hopper ! :confused: :blush: :frowning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

kevmac47:

Can you not make the side piece as long as it needs to be?

still disagree

Carryfast:

kevmac47:

dave docwra:

Carryfast:

kevmac47:

Can you not make the side piece as long as it needs to be?

Why when you’ve already got the optimum length on the ‘right’ side of the cross. :confused:

While if you bring the bit around the back to a hook further forward for a longer stretch you’ll end up with the point of the cross at the top of the load not in the middle. :bulb:

Hiya Mike,

Where are you posting from ? the middle of France on a changeover ? :wink: Look the Bold “CF” only joins in on some of these posts after he has boned up from reading the Truck Comics, so don’t be fooled by his spouting about roping ! I’ll wager he cant fasten his own shoe laces so he wears those pumps with the Velcro straps ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
the Bold “CF” only joins in on some of these posts after he has boned up from reading the Truck Comics, so don’t be fooled by his spouting about roping ! I’ll wager he cant fasten his own shoe laces so he wears those pumps with the Velcro straps ! Cheers Dennis.

:wink: :smiley: :smiling_imp:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45587&start=750#p1070253

Smart bit of sheeting there Bewick

Credit to your driver of the day.

OzzyHugh:
Smart bit of sheeting there Bewick

Credit to your driver of the day.

Obviously attending ROF’s ‘overpriced sheeting and roping course’ paid dividends for that driver? :wink:

Pete.