roping and sheeting

Just found this on FB (please delete if not allowed). Athersmith’s after the Brady takeover. Tidy looking rig and sheeting. Yes, Dennis, roped over the flysheet… Toilet paper reels, definitely from Bowater Scott, Barrow, but destination? I took reels to Kimberly Clarke (who now own BS) at Prudhoe and Larkfield. Maybe a false memory, but I think also St. Andrews mill in North London.

John.

John West:
Just found this on FB (please delete if not allowed). Athersmith’s after the Brady takeover. Tidy looking rig and sheeting. Yes, Dennis, roped over the flysheet… Toilet paper reels, definitely from Bowater Scott, Barrow, but destination? I took reels to Kimberly Clarke (who now own BS) at Prudhoe and Larkfield. Maybe a false memory, but I think also St. Andrews mill in North London.

John.

Cowboys John !!! Now that is a fly sheet and a half if ever I saw one ! Obviously they must have got some reels wet to go to the extremes of using fly sheets that long and wide ! :blush: :wink: Cheers Dennis. PS IIRC they bought 6 F88’s 4X Brady’s and 2 X A/Smith livery.

Loads of different heights: two ERFs and a Scammell. Robert

Tidy looking rig and sheeting. Yes, Dennis, roped over the flysheet…

I’ve worked on firms where you would have got the sack for roping over a flysheet. And what would be the point of putting it there?

David

Well explanation required ! The term “fly sheet” was also referred to as “a flapper” sheet which in days gone by with the proofing of the cotton sheets not being 100% a “flapper” sheet would keep the inclement weather out, more-or less, as there would be an “airyated” gap between the sheets . But with the introduction of PVC coated Nylon fly sheets there was no need to have a “flap” between the mains and the fly ! so there was no problem with putting the “odd” ( very odd ) rope over a slack PVC fly sheet it just looked and travelled better and nothing got wet either ! Cheers Bewick.

You’re right Dennis but I remember Mr. Thompson saying “If you rope over a PVC flysheet the ropes will wear the PVC coating and the sheet will still leak so the instruction remains the same”.
Yes Boss!

David

I spotted this the other day near Leeds

Punchy Dan:

Your talent is wasted Dan’l ! you should get a job at D.C. Thomsons in Dundee writing captions for The Dandy & Beano ! Cheers Dennis. PS and who have your borrowed the Mag off then ?

Hiya,
I always referred to the method of using extra rope to add tension to the
rear crossed ropes as a Dundee cross, see you Jimmy.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

It also creates a better pull on the rope to put the dollies on the longer vertical side of the cross that goes over the top of the load rather than the short side of it coming around the back of it. :bulb: :wink:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Well “H” I reckon the cross got tighter the further north you went so I have also heard it called an “Aberdonian Cross” ! Cheers Dennis.

Carryfast:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

It also creates a better pull on the rope to put the dollies on the longer vertical side of the cross that goes over the top of the load rather than the short side of it coming around the back of it. :bulb: :wink:

I think that you’ve just got your rope in a tangle CF… :astonished: :open_mouth: :confused:

disagree short side round the back is always best

Carryfast:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Carryfast:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Oh! no “CF” what a load of bollox ! I doubt whether you could sheet a single bed, never mind rope it as well ! Is there ■■■■ all you can’t do ? Well yes there is i.e. Sheet and rope a load :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

You got there in the end :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

image.jpeg

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Your talent is wasted Dan’l ! you should get a job at D.C. Thomsons in Dundee writing captions for The Dandy & Beano ! Cheers Dennis. PS and who have your borrowed the Mag off then ?

That looks like “CF” to me Dan’l ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Punchy Dan:
You got there in the end :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 01

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Hiya,
Spiderman Eh’ he’s not all that good dragging away at that rope and he hasn’t
even got a dolly in it, he wouldn’t even get a start at Bewick’s fast as he is.

Punchy Dan:
You got there in the end :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: 01

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

That’s what we used to call a Pig Net. Only used by drivers who hadn’t been taught properly.
And Scotsmen.

Bewick:

Carryfast:

Oh! no “CF” what a load of bollox ! I doubt whether you could sheet a single bed, never mind rope it as well ! Is there [zb] all you can’t do ? Well yes there is i.e. Sheet and rope a load :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Bewick.

Blimey with all your expertise I thought you’d realise that my way creates enough space along the rope for two dollies not just one and there’s no way that you’ll create the same amount of stretch even with one by putting it on that piddling short length around the back.On that note I wouldn’t have trusted you to rope the stacked pallets I sometimes carried Bewick.Although I’d have definitely got you to sheet them if you really wanted to.With my roping skills and your sheeting skills we’d have made a great team. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing: