roping and sheeting

Don’t start crying about a “Little outfit fom ■■■■■■■■ when you’ve had your fingers in a host of related businesses, as well as running what must have been one of the biggest and smartest haulage fleets in the area. Not to mention the “alleged” dodgy sideline re-engining those Big Js destined for those nice Smith chaps in Scotland. Obviously, you would have been unwilling to pay the expenses involved in transporting all my consultant’s equipment all the way from God’s Own County.
As to photographic evidence of my quality R&S I have to say that I was far too busy trying to earn a living to play around with such new-fangled things as cameras.

How’s that, Dan? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

:laughing:

Thought so! Not too bad considering I was knackered from a hard day at th’allotment! :laughing:

Dennis loves this one, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards Larry.

Proper R&S in my opinion.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Dennis loves this one, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards Larry.0

Nice one Larry, nowt will get wet on that load, the fly sheet must be 15 ft wide by the looks of it. Cheers Dennis :wink:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Dennis loves this one, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Regards Larry.0

Hiya,
I always regarded that motor as a great looker loved the paint job
red/green or two tone blue a la Gallacher’s were my favourite’s
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,

Harry you are a man of good choice in livery,s But perhaps a bit further advanced when it comes to Barley Sqeezings if you know what I mean, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,

Crawler! :blush: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Anon 1.

Lawrence Dunbar:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,

Harry you are a man of good choice in livery,s But perhaps a bit further advanced when it comes to Barley Sqeezings if you know what I mean, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Hiya,
Yes Larry, but the “barley squeezing’s” only came to the fore in any
amount when I finally hung the keys up and if I’d over imbibed the
previous evening i wouldn’t have to turn out the next day, and I’d
even be able to have a livener knowing there was no need to drive.
thanks harry, long retired

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,

Crawler! :blush: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Anon 1.

Hiya,
Yes Dennis I’ve had to ■■■■■■ crawler a few times in the day’s of
my five pot Gardner engined driving days when mekkin’ up Shap
when being a little oer’ the knot.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,

Hiya,
Yes Dennis I’ve had to ■■■■■■ crawler a few times in the day’s of
my five pot Gardner engined driving days when mekkin’ up Shap
when being a little oer’ the knot.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

IMG_1389[8680].JPG

That is a really great picture Colin, pity the tree covers it, but I do hope there is a join there somewhere and that isn’t one great big long sheet on the 2nd trailer. :open_mouth:

Imagine rolling that sheet up, and lifting and spreading again. :astonished:

Where is it, NZ?

Lovely sheeting job looks very professional. Is this one of those platooning driverless lorries that are in the news at the moment? ? How do they propose to sheet and rope it regardless of manoevering it into a loading bay.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Spardo:
That is a really great picture Colin, pity the tree covers it, but I do hope there is a join there somewhere and that isn’t one great big long sheet on the 2nd trailer. :open_mouth:

Where is it, NZ?

It is one sheet Spardo,i’ve folded them up with drivers a couple of times. The rear trailer is 45feet long, and I took the photo in Melbourne Oz. Colin.

Retired Old ■■■■:
^^ Tidy. But of course, it’s yet another of Bewick’s easy loads! :wink:

I find the easy loads more than often pay the lowest rates . :laughing:

colinwallace1:

Spardo:

Where is it, NZ?

It is one sheet Spardo,i’ve folded them up with drivers a couple of times. The rear trailer is 45feet long, and I took the photo in Melbourne Oz. Colin.

Must be really light material then, when I was at Midlands Storage back in the 70s we had 40 foot square sheets to cover the high (and over wide) Raleigh bike loads before they started containerising them. Just possible when rolled, to stand on end, do a full squat to let it fall on the shoulders, then straighten the legs. Sidle alongside the trailer and with a quick jerk, roll it onto the bed. Sounds like an Olympic sport, and way too much for me nowadays. :laughing:

Loading was even worse if anything, because you had to go up 13 feet with the sheets (2 of those monsters for a 40 foot) and then start spreading. A good hour and a half’s work by the time you had waved to attract another forkie to get you down and then thrown enough rope to tie up a ship back and forth over that mountain.

Were we glad when the container revolution came along? You bet we were. :laughing:

And to answer Punchy Dan, yes easy loads were often the cheapest but, even though we were on a %age at Storage, we often backloaded ourselves with steel. After we’d bought some chains and stretchers on the black market, of course. Not provided by the company. :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

Retired Old ■■■■:
^^ Tidy. But of course, it’s yet another of Bewick’s easy loads! :wink:

I find the easy loads more than often pay the lowest rates . :laughing:

The words of a large Haulier who runs a substantial fleet ! :unamused: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: