Rookie mistakes

Kaistar:
26t rigid with a kit box at the back

Posh bar steward ! My kit box is a plastic tub thrown in back[emoji3]

My rookie mistake was putting the rose tints on and thinking driving was the dogs danglies!

After the day in Manchester today with suicidal ■■■■■ on pushbikes, moronic taxis and old ■■■■■ in vans they needed to be very dark rose tinted!

But I’m a professional and just brush it off! [emoji6]

NewBlood:
. and dropping a pallet of slabs off a tail lift (pallet weight 980kg, parked on a hill, p-ing down with rain. Pallet started running away just as it was about on the tail lift,

NB

Done the same thing with a tonne pallet of animal feed on a farm at about half 5 at night in the pitch black! As soon as that pallet lifted, off it went and ran away with me at the rear. It was at the tipping point on the end of the lift and I was literally hanging off the pallet truck as a counterweight lol. Was quite hilarious as I couldn’t move as if I had of let go, the pallet would have fell. Lucky for me there was a quite attractive young lady on hand to watch me and laugh and was nice enough to lower the tail lift for me while I hung toght. Good times on agencey when I was just getting started!

■■■■■■■:

ckm1981:

alamcculloch:
I once left off the fuel cap,but being a pro. driver I fixed the problem with a plastic bag and a girls hair scrunchie thing.

This is worrying…why did you have a girls hair scrunchie thing in the first place :laughing:

Leave him alone - a lot of killers take a souvenir. :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Nice one :laughing:

Radar19:

Kaistar:
26t rigid with a kit box at the back, took all my straps off, rolled 'em up and put them neatly away with slings and whatever else was in there. Went for dinner and came back, 1 pallet to go to Liverpool so strapped the thing down and got myself off to Liverpool (40 mileish) and found I’d left the box open, everything gone :S

Lost count of the times I’ve had that uneasy feeling at any time of the day and had to stop and make sure it’s closed…

I drove to Manchester with my kitbox left open, didn’t lose a thing.

Can probably get away with it with some boxes, depends on the type of box. Some have a lip that will stop things sliding and some don’t. Some have a door that opens up so will help to keep kit in even if it is unlocked and some open down offering no resistance at all. Some doors only open half way coz they’re held up by a chain.

You got lucky :wink:

This thread has made me chuckle :grimacing: (Bob Taylor :laughing: and chaversdad, that’s quality :laughing: )

seth 70:
My biggest rookie mistake was having to go to boalloy bobtail for a new trailer,id never been before so waited about arf hour then went in the office to see when this bob taylor was starting so i could follow him to boalloy :blush: :blush: :confused: :laughing:

Quality. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I once went to Shotton on Teesside when I should have gone to Shotton on Deeside. :stuck_out_tongue:

Today I go with 3 jobs: 2x3ton skips drop and one 4 ton tip&return. So I’ve done my first two jobs and then realised I don’t have 4ton skip for my last job :slight_smile:

Remember a tour a while ago. 3 sprinter vans.

2 of them turned up in Newcastle upon Tyne, the other as you might have guessed, ended up in Newcastle under Lyme.

Needless to say it resulted in the gig being pulled due to a “technical difficulty” and got rescheduled for after the rest of the tour. Still don’t let the guy forget about it :laughing:

Back when I only had a 7.5T license I did an agency shift for a company. There first runs for me were 4 drops in East Kilbride. I went into office and guy gives me paperwork and keys. Thats you mate,he says. So does my checks and sets off. From Paisley to EK in morning rush time took about 35-40 minutes. Arrived at first drop. Just back it over there driver,i’ll get the forklift driver to you. No probs,says I,and duley reverse over and hop out. Open the back door to see…Nothing. Box was empty. Turns out loading gets done before you leave yard in the morning,NOT the night before as I assumed :blush: I justify it to myself by the way noone told me this was the setup and that I got given keys,paperwork and told off you go. But I still felt like a ■■■ going back with a sheepish look and a red face :laughing:

Harry Monk:
I once went to Shotton on Teesside when I should have gone to Shotton on Deeside. :stuck_out_tongue:

Got to be the paper mill ■■?

I’ll have to come back to this one when I’ve thought of one that’s not too embarrassing.

Parking a wagon on a grass verge! Loaded or empty! And then admitting it on truck forums lol

Being informed that after filling two diesel tanks each holding 3000 ltrs of red diesel and the other of white white that the land slopped and the trailer was likely to catch the end of one I drove away and caught the first one which of course hit the second one and knocked them both arse over ■■■ too, ooops!!

ckm1981:

truckyboy:
Never ever made one mistake as im a professional driver, and i got the driver card. :wink: :wink:

What about before the card?There was no such thing as a proffesional driver in the Olden days,not before the card was introduced!!!
We were all just mere mortals before the card :open_mouth:

The only Pro Driver is when hes in court for a driving offence,any other time hes just an annoying driver

Tail lifts :-

1. Down when it should be up. X lots
  2. Up when it should be down. X many
  3. Door down,locked,sealed and seal recorded: Lift controls switched to internal X several
  4. Falling off of and breaking collarbone. X 1
  5. Medical staff asking for date of birth before administering treatment. X quite a few
  6. Medical staff laughing and saying “Happy Birthday”. X nearly as many

Bloody tail lifts.

Victa1:
Agreed to a week at dx !

Oh ■■■■ me you poor soul. I did some 7.5t work for them (Nightfright). Forgot my tacho card and when I went back for it (panicking because I thought I’d left my tacho, my drivers licence at a military base in Stoke-on-Trent, and my credit card at ASDA), they were handballing an entire trailer off. I was thinking “■■■■ me I’m glad I don’t have to do that”.

Got the tacho. Found licence and credit card in a different pocket :blush:

Cue going home after 10 minutes (when I said I’d be about 3 hours) saying I’d found them all in the other pocket…

Edit: Cue not Que

had a fair few:

pulled away forgot to disconnect airlines x 2
almost dropped trailer on its knees x 1
taillift closed all up and realised inside controls hadn’t been switched over x lots.
had a reel of paper work loose and smash through rear doors knocking a wall down ( refused to sign for it too )

being banned from several site for ‘allowing myself to get wound up too much’ x few (young and highly strung days)

parking up for the night and waking up 5 hours later than I should have x 1.

Many moons ago not long after i got my licence, i was doing a shift for agency and i was sent out with a second man and before we left i asked him if he knew where we were going and he said he had never been there before but he would find it…

so off we went from Govan to East Kilbride and after about an hour or so of driving around in circles he was getting more and more irate and eventually he told me to stop and he leaned out of his window and asked a passerby…" excuse me…where is West Kilbride ? " :open_mouth:

we were only about 40 odd miles out !! :laughing:

Going to Iceland Luton instead of Swindon.

Taking an ‘empty’ trailer to Lichfield to collect a load of 5 metre stillages full of double glazing profiles, only to find that the trailer was full of empty stillages belonging to a different firm.

One of my first jobs on agency after coming back to driving - Driving a rigid fridge from Halesowen on multi drop. Carefully checked the truck and the load; it was full to the back doors with pallets of yoghurt. Set off and when I got to the first roundabout I misjudged things and had to brake a bit sharp. When I got to the first drop, all the pallets were leaning forward. I hadn’t realised that there were only 10 pallets on a 12 pallet truck and they had left gaps (for air circulation they said■■?). The delivery was refused and I had to take the whole lot back. Funny thing was, they asked for me to go back there the following week - I refused because they had blamed me for the damage and I thought that they were idiots for loading it like that.

Driving at 40mph into a village where I knew perfectly well there was a camera and the limit was 30.