Rookie mistakes

made a silly mistake yesterday after fuelling up and forgot to put the fuel cap back on and drove off and left said cap at the petrol station. Very luckily for me, about an hour later on my way back, I got back to said petrol station and my cap was sat in one piece on the opposite side of the road. Never lost no fuel and all was dandy again.

Now how many of you folks have made rookie mistakes or still make them on occasion?
I don’t care who you are or how long you been in the game but whoever says that they never make a foul up of the simplest nature are full of ■■■■!

I ain’t been driving for years but I ain’t ashamed to be making simple mistakes occasionally as we are only human!

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Few years ago had to take a double decker from Stoke to Doncaster,drop the trailer and run down to Coventry solo to collect another trailer…can anyone guess where my number plate was which I didn’t realise til I got to Coventry? :blush:

Not a rookie mistake as I had been driving 20 years, but I once stopped at a factory in Leicester to enquire about directions to an address in the town that wasn’t listed in my old out of date A-Z, took my delivery note with me…and left it there! Didn’t realise until I had tipped and needed it signing so had to rapidly retrace my steps back to the factory where luckily I found it laying on a pallet. :blush:

Pete.

I.ve been at it for 27yrs and still have the odd one,
last week my truck was for service so parked the trailer in the corner and the left the truck with them overnight, i came in next morning bright and early so i could get to Glasgow for an 8am tip, guess who got 5miles up the road and realised they had left the trailer in MAN,s workshop yard :blush: :laughing:

Never ever made one mistake as im a professional driver, and i got the driver card. :wink: :wink:

truckyboy:
Never ever made one mistake as im a professional driver, and i got the driver card. :wink: :wink:

What about before the card?There was no such thing as a proffesional driver in the Olden days,not before the card was introduced!!!
We were all just mere mortals before the card :open_mouth:

I think there should be a rule on this thread no slaughtering anyone! Am no telling you mine till this rule is established :laughing:

I once left off the fuel cap,but being a pro. driver I fixed the problem with a plastic bag and a girls hair scrunchie thing.

alamcculloch:
I once left off the fuel cap,but being a pro. driver I fixed the problem with a plastic bag and a girls hair scrunchie thing.

This is worrying…why did you have a girls hair scrunchie thing in the first place :laughing:

My biggest rookie mistake was having to go to boalloy bobtail for a new trailer,id never been before so waited about arf hour then went in the office to see when this bob taylor was starting so i could follow him to boalloy :blush: :blush: :confused: :laughing:

ckm1981:

alamcculloch:

This is worrying…why did you have a girls hair scrunchie thing in the first place :laughing:

Leave him alone - a lot of killers take a souvenir. :open_mouth: :grimacing:

merc0447:
I think there should be a rule on this thread no slaughtering anyone! Am no telling you mine till this rule is established :laughing:

Agreed. :wink:

26t rigid with a kit box at the back, took all my straps off, rolled 'em up and put them neatly away with slings and whatever else was in there. Went for dinner and came back, 1 pallet to go to Liverpool so strapped the thing down and got myself off to Liverpool (40 mileish) and found I’d left the box open, everything gone :S

Lost count of the times I’ve had that uneasy feeling at any time of the day and had to stop and make sure it’s closed…

Does reversing into a brick gate post (turning a 13t in a tight cul-de-sac, thinking “must not hit that car, must not hit that car” when in my blind spot behind the truck, bang. Just knocked to top off. No damage to bricks or top, just needed re-mortaring) and dropping a pallet of slabs off a tail lift (pallet weight 980kg, parked on a hill, p-ing down with rain. Pallet started running away just as it was about on the tail lift, I brace but slip on the wet floor and off the end it went. As it was nearly on the lift, I did not have time to pull the leaver, it had already gone off. Customer and boss great about it though. Boss told me of when he and another driver did the same thing with bricks) count as rookie mistakes? Both happened the same week, but not the same day.

NB

I turned up at a delivery in EK yesterday, one truck was already in getting tipped. 10mins later the other truck leaves and I reverse up to the door. Grabbed the paperwork only to realise I was at the wrong place. Fortunately I was only 5mins away from the right place.[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]

Managed to drop a cage full of tomato ketchup off a taillift onto the pavement outside of gino de campo (sp?) place on Fleet Street in London. Could of killed someone tbh but lucky for me there was a break in foot traffic. Made a mess like I had killed someone as there was ketchup everywhere.

15 years old my gaffer gives me keys to his Discovery, “go and fill that up for me before I go on holiday” (driving to Wales)

3 hours later I went to unlock the diesel tank to fill up a lorry, and there was the Disco’s fuel cap next to the pump. Cue a rather sheepish phone call. Gaffer just ran round all week with a rag stuffed in the top :open_mouth:

Oops…

First day working for a door double glazing firm. Nicely strapped and loaded. Drove off to first drop. Like an idiot id put first drop right at the back so had to Un strap most of load. Unloaded and off I went, got to next drop, opened back doors… The whole ■■■■■■■ lot smashed to pieces. About £70,000 worth of gear were ■■■■■■. I had forgot to strap back up. Rang gaffer and said during first drop a big old wagon had whoosed past me to close and the sway of the it had knocked everything over!

Agreed to a week at dx !

Kaistar:
26t rigid with a kit box at the back, took all my straps off, rolled 'em up and put them neatly away with slings and whatever else was in there. Went for dinner and came back, 1 pallet to go to Liverpool so strapped the thing down and got myself off to Liverpool (40 mileish) and found I’d left the box open, everything gone :S

Lost count of the times I’ve had that uneasy feeling at any time of the day and had to stop and make sure it’s closed…

I drove to Manchester with my kitbox left open, didn’t lose a thing.