Romanians

Have they started coming over early? Reason I ask is last night at the diesel pumps there was a foreigner, only he didn’t look like your typical Eastern European. He was in the process of filling his unit and asked me in his best broken English whether ‘black’ was the right one for his truck. A bit later I saw him really struggling to get onto a bay and another driver passed comment too. It just struck me as really odd, y’know when something doesn’t seem quite right? This isn’t intended as a dig at foreigners either (there’s some great foreign lads in work) but something seemed a bit odd. I hope it’s not a sign of things to come once the flood gates open, driving standards arnt the best as it is :frowning:

Bit of a non topic Tarrman. Could have been any number of reasons, newly passed, first day, didn’t know the procedure, didn’t have/understand the operation, stressed out, struggles with English (spoken/written). Your title and reference to the guys perceived nationality says more about you IMHO.

Did you offer to help him out?

Sounds like he could have been from sunderland.

Slackbladder:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

дизел for Tarrman

Wheel Nut:
дизел for Tarrman

Malc, How did you know he was Bulgarian from that description.

Come again :laughing:

Of course I helped him out, pointed him in the right direction to drop his empty trailer and before that confirmed that ‘black’ was indeed the right colour for his unit. As for him reversing I was in a queue waiting for a bay, there was me, another truck and then the bloke. I did wonder what the hold up was but it’s not uncommon to be waiting behind another truck/trailer.

Can I just point out that I’m in no way having a dig at foreigners or new starters (being new myself), what struck me as odd was how he couldn’t tell the difference between white/red diesel. Surely that’s a no brainer? He may well of been new, come to think of it he may of been trying to start conversation. Just seemed odd at the time.

Slackbladder:

Or tipton lol

I know the op is not having a dig at the Romanians or for that matter the Bulgarians, but I would like to point out one thing. They have had the right to come to this country since they joined the E.U.
The only thing they have had is a restriction on what jobs they could do when the first arrived. Most Bulgarians I know came over and started being self employed, they also had to take out private medical insurance as de-manned by the boarder agency to obtain their work permit cards,
If they were lucky enough to be able to work in a job which was unrestricted i.e. was part of a college course ect then once they had 12 months worth a wage slips they were then free to take any job they wanted.
All the ones I have spoken to recently think its quite funny that the British in general think that they are all waiting at the boarder for the restrictions to end on the 1st of Jan, and flood to this country.
I will say one other thing all of the families and single people I have met and that is quite a lot as my partner is Bulgarian has NEVER claimed any state benefits, with the exception to child benefit which they automatically get when they registrar their children here for schools. but that is the same for anyone coming to Britain to live. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Plenty Rumanians ready here 2-3 years.plenty work ready for lorry drivers.i know at least 5-7.just some peoplke hided who he from Bulgaria.plenty people at factory or farm .but if people just come to England -he can t work for drivers.because all agency ask full Uk licence.but exchange licence taked time.

Plenty Rumanians ready here 2-3 years.plenty work ready for lorry drivers.i know at least 5-7.just some peoplke hided who he from Bulgaria.plenty people at factory or farm .but if people just come to England -he can t work for drivers.because all agency ask full Uk licence.but exchange licence taked time.

Tarrman:
This isn’t intended as a dig

Of course it is a dig, and one i agree with … :unamused:

Had a guy in our place today loading a fridge full of booze, probably to much weight in my opinion, started it up drove out didn’t wait till air up ripped mud flap off.
went over to see if he wanted a few tie straps to hold it in place, in broken English said it was ok.

Who was he on for, British company or Rumanian?

49er:

Tarrman:
This isn’t intended as a dig

Of course it is a dig, and one i agree with … :unamused:

…What have the Romanians ever done for US ■■ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

MONTY PYTHON.png

Fallmonk:
Had a guy in our place today loading a fridge full of booze, probably to much weight in my opinion, started it up drove out didn’t wait till air up ripped mud flap off.
went over to see if he wanted a few tie straps to hold it in place, in broken English said it was ok.

They’ll keep wages lower by working for buttons and undoubtedly run as long as the job takes so TM’s will be in their element but reality will hit home eventually with repair and damage costs and VOSA pulls .

Cheaper rarely equates to quality.

Slackbladder:

Absolute quality. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Been thinking about this,and one or two things came to mind.The ‘problem’ ,I think arnt the foreign guys coming here to work, its the BRITISH companies ,with BRITISH management,activly encouring this sort of thing,when you here of large BRITISH companies ,advertising jobs in this country abroad,but not here…yer gotta admit ,something aint right

I only know two Romanian drivers, one a middle aged geezer and one about 30, they are both polite decent respectful blokes and competent drivers to boot (old school through the system) who don’t have the increasingly British habit of finding work interferes with their far more important social life…check out the Christmas anti working threads for examples.

If the rest of them are like these two, and i would employ both without a moments hesitation, some of our wingeing work shy natives had better pull their socks up or face bleak state subsidised futures.

If you want to stop uncapped immigration and regain control of our own borders, a different argument altogether, then don’t vote for pro EU parties…ie the Lib Lab Con…your futures are in your own hands so don’t blame anyone else if you vote for more (and it will accelerate) of the last 16 years.

The problem is, a lot of unscrupulous companies will employ these guys on less money than their British counterparts, knowing that whatever they earn, will be more than what they earnt at home, so forcing wages down for those British that want to work. As our cost of living is far higher than the flip flops costs at home, then you can understand why people get upset.

Ken.