Romania

Should be going to Romania next month, somewhere near Bucharest. I’ve not been there since 1997 and I’m sure it will have changed a lot, can any recent travellers offer any hints, tips, advice etc?

Harry Monk:
Should be going to Romania next month, somewhere near Bucharest. I’ve not been there since 1997 and I’m sure it will have changed a lot, can any recent travellers offer any hints, tips, advice etc?

Didn’t Limeyphil go there recently ?

Went there on an aid convoy in 2006, although not since. Our route was Nadlac-Arad-Timisoara-Drobeta Turnu Severin-Craiova-Bucuresti. Some things to be aware of:

• You need to buy a vignette on the border. Once you’ve stuck them on the windscreen, they’re a PITA to get off. They required green card and V5C (or equivalent). The border might be easier now Romania has joined the EU.
  • Some of the roads which cross the mountains north of Craiova have an HGV ban.
  • The currency is Romanian Lei. You can’t buy it in the UK, you’ll need to get it on the border, or preferably at a bank in a town near the border, which will give you a better exchange rate (although many places will take Euro).
  • The view down the Iron Gate Gorge as you approach Drobeta Turnu Severin is fantastic. The road, however, was narrow, winding and badly pot-holed, even though it’s the E70.
  • Bucharest ring road was terrible. It was a single carriageway with crossroads every mile or so; there was no control at the cross roads, it was just a game of “who’s going to give way first?” chicken. Obviously in a truck, you’ve got advantage over the cars :slight_smile:
  • Going into Bucharest, the sign that directs you to “Centru” (or something like that) actually directs you on to the ring road, not to the city centre. :wink:
  • Watch out for missing drain/manhole covers.

MrFlibble:

1. Going into Budapest, the sign that directs you to “Centru” (or something like that) actually directs you on to the ring road, not to the city centre. :wink:
    [/quote]
    Would that perhaps be because you were 800 odd kms away from the centre? :laughing:

Sorry, Mr. F., couldn’t resist :wink: :slight_smile:

hvn’t been yet myself, supposed to be going summer this year on a job, so would be interested how you get on.
heard lots of stories, but take stories with a pinch of salt.

re the annoying stick on vignettes. i always put a tiny bit of cardboard/paper, under 1 of the top corners, makes it alot easier to peel off when your done with it!

go in via the border towards arad. there is a new motorway further north, but i’ve no idea where it starts. i’ve tried to find it, and ballsed it up.
when you get to the border, get a vignette (cash only).
if you havn’t much time left, then park in the old customs area on the Hungarian side.
remember they are 2 hours ahead of us.
head for Sibiu, then turn left at the roundabout, as you can’t go through the city. this will take you to a nice new motorway.
watch your speed down hill, and round bends, they have the odd purdge with the speed cameras. if you see one, then you’ll see many more.
don’t leave anything of value in your cab, they will nick anything.
they have weekend lorry bans, so make a sign saying humanitarian aid, put it in your window, and they will wave you on. :laughing:

Presume Lux, Germany, Austria, Hungary is the way to go with this one?

Harry Monk:

I don’t even bother going Lux, Aachen and keep going, Austria, Hungary.
As Phil says Vignette type system I get mine from the OMV garage at the border, they accept cards.
Keep your wits about you only park up in numbers etc.etc.
Watch your speed every village has no gas/electric or water but seem to be able to afford a couple of coppers with a speed gun.
A good restaurant at km141 called International on your right next to a petrol station look for the Union Jack on the sign, owned and run by Rick (ex Bergen’s driver), even does a full English breakfast if you need to know anything about Bucharest he’s your man.
Not sure what fuel cards you use but can’t ever recall seeing a Shell or Total garage out there.

Good point, I’ve got Eurotraffic and UTA fuel cards although I will probably also have a company credit card. Will look out for the International, thanks.

Are the lay-bys still full of gypsies with dancing bears? :wink:

hey harry been too romania 3times in the last 2years… as been said you will need to buy the vignette… if your goin in the summer the roads shut for hgvs when it gets hot… The roads arnt the best and watch out for horses and carts… theres a new bit of motorway around sibu but it only by passes the city… a few good and big places to park up there… be aware the local drivers are nutters as well… i paid in euros when i was last there over the summer and got a great meal and drink for 5euros… also if you park in some garages the attendant will try to charge you to park… gave him 2e to keep him happy

Do you mind me asking, who are you driving for now Harry?

Pirate:

A small haulier in Hoo. :wink:

make sure you get the vignette, otherwise the romanians will royalaly shaft you without lube.

the roads are crap well until you get on the motorway

Harry Monk:

Pirate:

A small haulier in Hoo. :wink:

Nice one. Good luck in Romania Harry

Spardo:

MrFlibble:

1. Going into Budapest, the sign that directs you to “Centru” (or something like that) actually directs you on to the ring road, not to the city centre. :wink:
    [/quote]
    Would that perhaps be because you were 800 odd kms away from the centre? :laughing:

Sorry, Mr. F., couldn’t resist :wink: :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Oops. I keep mixing those two up…

(and no, I don’t think I’ve ever mixed them up badly enough to go to one of them when I should be going to the other. I hope I’m not that stupid :wink:

Harry Monk:

that’s the way i go.
AS24 about 10 minutes from the border on the left, blink and you miss it.
there’s another next to a hotel about 2 hours in. easy to find you can see the signs from about a mile away. good food in the hotel too. i paid about £25.00 for a room for me and the missus, this inclued an evening meal, breakfast and drinks.
also, if you pay to stay in the hotel, your lorry is safe.
let the hotel manager know that you have your lorry outside, and he will sort it.

A few other things to remember are to make sure you don’t overtake anything on a bridge, its a big no no and the police won’t be best pleased if they see you do this- even on a straight road, look out at railway crossings as they are so uneven and always loads of big pot holes - you soon notice this on the Arad ring road - its not uncommon to be held up for an hour or so just queuing up to go over a rough railway crossing. The thing with travelling to Romania now is that its all motorway near enough to the border since Szeged has a great new motorway to bypass it, so as soon as you hit Romania its back to two way roads save for the odd dual carriageway or two lane uphill stretches which soon brings your average speed down. Can anyone shed any light for me - coming out of Arad towards Naglac there is a right hand turning which is signed for Budapest - where does this go or is it a wind up?

Leave the women alone, it’s the pox capital of europe. And take some copies of the “Big Issue” there is a strong demand for them.

Ben9:

Harry Monk:

I don’t even bother going Lux, Aachen and keep going, Austria, Hungary.
As Phil says Vignette type system I get mine from the OMV garage at the border, they accept cards.
Keep your wits about you only park up in numbers etc.etc.
Watch your speed every village has no gas/electric or water but seem to be able to afford a couple of coppers with a speed gun.
A good restaurant at km141 called International on your right next to a petrol station look for the Union Jack on the sign, owned and run by Rick (ex Bergen’s driver), even does a full English breakfast if you need to know anything about Bucharest he’s your man.
Not sure what fuel cards you use but can’t ever recall seeing a Shell or Total garage out there.

Interesting, if its the Rick i knew when i was on for them it doesn’t shock me one bit. I believe the rest of the guys i drove with are still out in Morocco too.

One thing i will also add to mate is be very careful of the railway line crossings unless they have changed as they where a real nightmare, and if your set up is low you can easily rip your landing gear off. Avoid staying on the East side of Sibiu, again unless its changed that was a good haunt for ladies of the night and there accompanied heavies.

Ex Haulier:
Leave the women alone, it’s the pox capital of europe. And take some copies of the “Big Issue” there is a strong demand for them.

Apart from the Russian Federation, the prevalence of Aids in women is higher in Spain, Italy & France than Romania.