ROI- Smoking In The Cab

I was told this week that you are not allowed to smoke in the cab of a lorry in the Republic Of Ireland, since it is a “workplace”.- Is this true?

Since Scotland is bringing in similar anti-smoking legislation, I wonder of it will apply there too (if it is true)

Personally I gave up earlier this year, but would be interested in knowing the answer, since it seems a little extreme to me, if the driver is the only person who ever sits in that “workplace”.

Vince

DHL tried this one out on us!

Because the company policy was a no smoking ban within the workplace except in designated areas. It was a no-no. Unless the driver of the opposite shift agreed with it.

It will probably be taken to court to define the workplace. The problem is trying to get your opposite number to agree to smoking in his workspace.

If I go on holiday, I always get a no smoking room although I smoke. If I am in a restaurant, I object to someone sat on the same table smoking. In France as you know Vince, the anti smoking ban was brought in many years ago and they have to segregate us smokers.

In Norway, there is a total ban on smoking while driving.

It is only a matter of time :frowning:

yes it is true,i know a few lads that work for an irish company and they where saying that this is the case.now weather they stick to it is another case. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

now let our jack try bring that one in up here. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s at that point that I need another job. :cry:

This is taking things to the limit.

No one will stop me from smoking in my cab, I respect the wishes of others, if I have to use their cab and they are non-smokers and I will also abide by company policies at points of collection/delivery.

BUT my cab is my 2nd home and therefore my space to relax. End of story.

Smoking

John

im all for the ban i worked with a guy once who puffed away all day in the cab i was only agy so i didnt wanna rock the boat sore throught all day and i stank at the end of the day :stuck_out_tongue:

PMAC, I agree that a non-smoker has the right to breathe clean air, but if Paddy McGinty (insert any other stereotypical Irish name here) is the only person who ever drives that vehicle then it seems to me that he should be entitled to do this.

I’m saying this as a non-smoker myself.

The areas I have to share with others should be smoke-free, but I see no reason why I should be against smoking in a truck that I will never, ever sit in. It’s none of my business.

Vince

Ive thought about this my self this week. as im the only smoker on our firm, and altough its rare for for us to swap trucks it does happen, i take great care to clean the truck with dash shine and smelly polish, and have a new air freshner as often as is needed to kee the cab sweet, and find that this and the window open all day keeps the cab fresh.

But i was thinking about smoking in the cab, with all the talk of bans etc, this week, my boss has never said owt, nor any of the drivers i swaped with, but if the boss was to ban smoking in the cab, i would not mind, but im sure he would when i stopped every now and then for a smoke.

Total [zb] in my opinion…open a window for gods sake…what is the world coming to?

Just another reason why I got out of the UK/Europe…to much [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] :frowning:

Bully

My [zb] finger hurts now! :unamused: Sorry mate, but it’s one rule for everyone. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (Share the sentiment though…:grimacing:) L.

Bully:
Total [zb] in my opinion…open a window for gods sake…what is the world coming to?

Just another reason why I got out of the UK/Europe…to much [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] [zb] :frowning:

Bully

although i agree bully,surely there is quality [zb] over in the states

What I find even more objectionable is the practice of some drivers putting these smelly things from the bathroom in the cab, you know, the smelly blocks in the plastic holders.
One wagon I drove, I had to have both windows open to keep the sickmaking aroma down.
I later discovered that the driver had broken one of these smelly blocks up and stuffed the bits in the air vents.
By the end of the day, my eyes were streaming, I had a splitting headache and felt very sick.
I don’t live in the bathroom at home, I don’t like living with the smell of these thing in my workplace either.
I find it very weird in the extreme that someone would want to drive a wagon that smelt like a toilet. :imp:

kitkat:
although i agree bully,surely there is quality bs over in the states

:smiley: :smiley:

Totaly agree with you Jim!

Was it not some states of America that started this bullcrap?

best reason to be in the UK in my honest opinion!
when you enter some towns in the good old usa you have to put your ciggy out, then you can light it again when you have moved past the town limits! :open_mouth: :smiley:

the way it is going we will be better off driving on the moon!

I always have a window open whilst puffing… I also stop smoking 15mins before I drop the truck back and fully open the windows for a minute or two…

By the time i’ve got in and out a couple of times back at base, you can’t really smell owt…

I can’t believe this’ll work, unless the cops are able to bust you for it… If it’s just the employer, then they’ve got to prove it first… !!!

As for Norways total smoking-whilst-driving ban… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Have you read Kate’s recent post about the NY statewide smoking ban :question:

Bars have lost over 30% in trade, a great deal have had to close, and a vast percentage of people have been put out of work :exclamation:
We used to go out drinking two or three times a week but now we stay in and booze up here, we still go out for a meal, but come right home again. One bar we always went to had it’s turn over cut by 80% :exclamation: They now have been granted a smoking ban exemption and are packed full with those who once went to other bars :laughing:

The ban includes all company buildings And all company vehicles but I still smoke in mine as do all the smokers I know, there is no way they could inforce this ban really, I would certainly look for another job, driving for Vermont company, which is only 6 miles east of us. Nobody else drives my truck but even so the mechanics tell me they didn’t know I smoke, I clean the cab every time I leave it in the yard and there is always an air freshener in there :exclamation:

OK, Pat, we heard you the first 3 times…

Seriously, though, the local health department did investigating-doing patron counts at several establishments before and after the ban, and found…no signifiacant difference, aside from a drop for a couple of months right after the ban went into effect. They did, however, find a drop in respiratory problems among waiters and bartenders.

Oh, BTW, they offered a few of those temporary smoking licenses last new year’s eve, and found widespread ignoring of the rules concerning where the exeption would be allowed. as a result, they will not be offering any more exemptions in my county.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I have no idea what happened there :question: I submitted it once, then lost trucknet :laughing:

sorted that out for you pat,jb

I have no idea what county you live in Alex but in Granville alone, which is quite small, there were 7 bars before the ban, there are now 4, due to loss of business. ‘Happy Daze’ was the most popular and it was hard to find standing room on a saturday night, if you go in now you will be lucky to find half a dozen in there.
Vermont has has a smoking ban for some years now but bars are excluded if they have separate rooms for smokers, … a good idea :exclamation:

I remember my dad coming home from work nearly 40 years ago and telling us about one of their drivers who nearly got the sack because somebody reported him for smoking while he was driving.

People used to smoke pretty much anywhere then, but it was the ‘while driving’ bit that got him in trouble. Was that just his company being particularly strict or have attitudes changed?

i don’t smoke

but if you want a ciggie in my cab be my guest, smoking gives you cancer but so does half the crap you eat and breath.

mine is pure and simpley a financial choice,the wife smokes,i don’t have a problem with that.

jon

They will never be able to enforce a non smoking in the cab rule for a start how are they going to enforce it as i wouldnt imagine the police will be looking for the extra work and as far as i know there hasnt been a gatso smoke detector invented yet

simon