Rob K's rant of the night : Scania's

It’s official. I hate Scania 4-series to the same extent I hate Renault Premiums :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

Second shift completed for a local haulier in a topline Scania 420 4-series, on a 53-plate.

How can driver’s like them ? ? ? I just don’t get it. They are truly [zb] with a capital S.

Now don’t get me wrong, this one on the face of it looks like it’s a pretty tidy and well looked after motor :

Tried to unlock the door with the key; no joy. Key fits in the lock okay but the key won’t turn either way. Eventually had to get a pair of plier’s on the key and use excessive force open it up.

Went to check fluids. Pulled front corner out and it fell off in my hand. All the hinges had snapped off. Great. :unamused:

Got in, fired it up and cranked the blower on to the cold setting and set it at blower speed 4 and opened the vents. Despite the noise of the blower whizzing away there was [zb] all air coming out of the vents, regardless of what position the vents control knob was set at. Also, why does it blow out warm air when the air temp is less outside and the engine hasn’t be on for some considerable time? Really bloody annoying. Had to open the windows instead but that just results in a hurricane like effect with all your notes being blown all over the place :angry: .

Turned the headlights on and immediately considered going home and bringing some candles back with me as they’d more than likely provide more illumination. (Yes they were cleaned before anyone says, and the height adjuster adjusted correctly).

Went to couple up an empty trailer and that was when I really got mad. There is a notice on the board in the foyer stating that lift-axles must be in the lowered position before coupling up loaded trailers but there is no explanation why. I asked a driver about this ages ago and he said it’s something to do with the air dumping from the unit if you don’t lower it. Still didn’t really answer my question and I still don’t know why this is necessary.

Anyway, getting back to the tale, lift-axle was up and I had just started lowering the drive axle suspension with the console as I was reversing under. Once I knew I was under I started lifting it up to “catch” the trailer and lift the legs off the ground ready for the pin to engage. Suddenly the clutch pedal went rock hard, my left foot was catapaulted up off it - which of course resulted in reverse gear being fully engaged instead of my feathering it and the unit slammed under the trailer extremely forcefully before the engine stalled. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Upon re-starting the engine I noticed that air tank no.1 had emptied itself from 10 bar to under 5 bar, just like that. Once the air built up again everything worked as it did before. Really annoyed at the above happening. Why did it do it? Very dangerous and never had this happen with any other truck make.

Got out on the road and things didn’t improve. Why do all Scania 4-series have that feeling that the transmission and steering components have only been very loosely “secured” to the chassis? They wobble and shake about like there’s no tomorrow and I’ve known better steering response from a barge. Talking of the steering, why is steering wheel the size of Kent needed ? :open_mouth:

Now the exhaust brake is playing up. It was working as I was driving round the yard but now when I need it coming down the hill out of the estate to a T-junction it’s suddenly stopped working, despite the switch being in the ‘on’ position. This carried on throughout the night, working whenever it felt like it and not when I needed it most.

Next problem was the seat. No, it wasn’t back related either. The problem is that the seat very slowly drops down as you’ve driving along. Then it lifts you up a bit, then drops you down etc. If you try to lift it up further using the ‘raise’ switch you find that it’s already at the top, despite only just being able to see over the dashboard :open_mouth: .

I parked up for my break and decided to get an hour’s kip on the bunk. Virtually impossible due to having a tractor chugging away in the cab with me. Really? Surely not? Well okay, slight exaggeration then, but I’m actually referring to the tacho barrel which makes 300dB of noise in your lug-hole regardless of what you set the mode switch to.

Soon after trailer swapping at my destination and making the 2 hour journey back the full beam wouldn’t disengage at all and I had to drive back with it locked on. I turned the headlight level adjuster right down which helped but I apologise to oncoming vehicles :cry: . Oh and not forgetting that hitching up to my new trailer to bring back, fully loaded weight wise and with the lift-axle in the down position I was once again catapaulted under the trailer at warp factor 9 and air tank no.1 emptying itself again, despite not even getting chance to touch the suspension console this time :open_mouth: .

Surely nothing else can go wrong? Yes, it can! Was running down Leeds & Bradford road just coming round the chicane over the railway bridge at the bottom of Idle High St when the driver’s door flew open :open_mouth: . It’s a very good job I was wearing my seatbelt as my leg was rested against and it was only the seatbelt that stopped me falling out. I can assure you the door was firmly closed as you can allus tell with the Scania’s when they’re only on first notch as the wind whistles round them like no tomorrow. Reported it when I got back and apparently this has been to Scania on Geldard Rd three times for it to be repaired and guess what, they can’t find anything wrong with it :open_mouth: .

They’re an absolute bag of [zb]. Any driver that likes the 4 series needs their head examining, seriously.

In fact, I’d actually prefer to drive a Renault Premium over a Scania now. :open_mouth:

Oh I nearly forgot to mention the upper bunk smashing down to with a few inches of my head as well, when I was driving along. Couldn’t do anything about it as I was in traffic. Pulled away on an uphill gradient and then nearly crashed and 13 tonne of [zb] off the bunk rolled off it into my lap, including a portable TV, maps, mags, cab cleaning gear, bedding etc :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

i don’t know, some drivers just expect everything to be perfect :laughing:
sounds to me like it could’ve been any badge on the motor, it just aint been looked after, an 03 as well, maybe a case of “well it’s still running so it’s allright”
going back to the coupling, is that how you’d normally do it? i.e use the raise lower to lift the trailer?

paul b:
going back to the coupling, is that how you’d normally do it? i.e use the raise lower to lift the trailer?

Yes. If the trailer is empty or very light I will drop the air down, get the trailer overhanging the end of the unit then steadily reverse and raise the suspension at the same time. The pin usually engages gently just as the air is about the lift the legs off the ground. Into 1st gear then 2 tugs so check it’s engaged properly and no need to worry about the straining the legs as they’re clear of the ground. Handbrake on and away you go coupling up.

I do it slightly differently with a heavy trailer. I just make sure that I’ve closed the gap between the fifth wheel and the trailer but gently raising the suspension as I go under, let the pip engage then raise the legs off the ground as I feel it would be unsympathetic on the fifth wheel and underside of the trailer to take all the weight of the trailer whilst still reversing under it.

:sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Rob. Could it possibly be that you just had a faulty unit?

I take it you reported all of these faults when you returned to the depot?

Our company has a “fault book” and if you think it’s serious enough you can always call the engineer and complain.

ROB K i do belive that you have forgotten to take you pills again,

the post says that it was your second trip, what will you be like
after a few more,

as regards the doorlock try squirting WD-40 into the keyhole and ““gently””
turning it this is may do the trick since the kind and understanding builders
of the moterised transport branch have been on a save money and so no longer fit the keyprotector which stopped all those objects from goingintothe lock and thereby makeing it harder to TURN THE KEY

lift axle has perhaps a load sensor which will perhaps be broken when you go and hook up with it lifted and thetrailer in Q IS FULLY LOADED■■?

as for the hedlights are they H-7 bulbs if so change them as they are
on there way out it is normal with these bulbs as they start to go the light strength gets less and less

you mentioned that the air tank lost pressure try this test with the unit only
fill the air tanks to working pressure,switch off, listen for air leaks
(it may be that water is in the air tanks empty these tanks) ; IF you can find or hear the leak and the tank is still loseing its AIR-PRESSURE so quickly
THIS VEHICLE IS UNROADWORTHY and if you drive it and get checked
you will be held completely responsilble,WHY because you as driver are
reponsible that the vehicle is only taken out on the road when it is
ROADWORTHY

AND as for all the other faults i trust that you have done TWO defects reports
one for the FIRM and one for you as a record,

by the way don,t forget to take the pills, no sorry joking aside it is not fair that some drivers are more careing than others,and this is reflected in the way that the vehicles are mantained and looked after by DRIVERS;
IT IS THE SAME WHERE I WORK WE ARE LARGE COMPANY,
and only a small number of drivers take the time and trouble to do this part of our JOB right,

WELL DONE MATE FOR CAREING ABOUT HOW YOU DO YOUR JOB

:smiley: :open_mouth: Got to agree (■■■■ it :laughing: ) and said it myself, the 4-series is crap and a step downwards from the 3-series. Scania has lost the plot. No idea of the R-series, but heard enough not to worry about wanting one, same crap cab anyhow.
See avatar, noe there’s a Truck. :smiley:

sound like you got one that aint look after re the air that sounds like the pollen filter is blocked needs replacing under the bonnet theres a black box part of this is a panel that comes off take this off and pull out the yellow thing they usually need replacing every 6 months or so depending on the work

Kinda reminds you why you give up this job dosn’t it Rob :wink: :laughing:

[quote="Rob K
Second shift completed for a local haulier in a topline Scania 420 4-series, on a 53-plate.

2nd shift?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Tried to unlock the door with the key; no joy. Key fits in the lock okay but the key won’t turn either way. Eventually had to get a pair of plier’s on the key and use excessive force open it up.

Ouch! I feel a broken key lockout coming on :cry: :cry:

Went to check fluids. Pulled front corner out and it fell off in my hand. All the hinges had snapped off. Great. :unamused:

You’re such a big strong boy :astonished: :astonished:

Also, why does it blow out warm air when the air temp is less outside and the engine hasn’t be on for some considerable time?

Could have done with this motor the winter I drove my first Scanny, an 80, after a winters night shift to Bristol I was desperate to get back in my Borderer - it was
freezing :cry:

Suddenly the clutch pedal went rock hard, my left foot was catapaulted up off it - which of course resulted in reverse gear being fully engaged instead of my feathering it and the unit slammed under the trailer extremely forcefully before the engine stalled. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Tell me about it, this sort of thing only happens when people are watching :unamused: :unamused:

Talking of the steering, why is steering wheel the size of Kent needed ? :open_mouth:

Used to be a German thing, in case the power packed up - more leverage.

Next problem was the seat. No, it wasn’t back related either. The problem is that the seat very slowly drops down as you’ve driving along. Then it lifts you up a bit, then drops you down etc. If you try to lift it up further using the ‘raise’ switch you find that it’s already at the top, despite only just being able to see over the dashboard :open_mouth: .

Good God, and you being 6 foot 12 and all :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , what chance would the rest of us have?

I parked up for my break and decided to get an hour’s kip on the bunk. Virtually impossible due to having a tractor chugging away in the cab with me.

Is this the same bloke who wasn’t bothered by inconsiderate frigo drivers? :confused: :confused:

I was once again catapaulted under the trailer at warp factor 9

Captain Kirk lives. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

the driver’s door flew open :open_mouth: .

Ah! Yes! That’s easy to explain, it’s a safety feature, bit like a Harrier ejector seat. Doesn’t work if you’re wearing a belt - but you do need a Hi-Viz though :sunglasses: :sunglasses: .

Oh I nearly forgot to mention the upper bunk smashing down to with a few inches of my head as well, when I was driving along. ]
[/quote]

That’s a French invention. It’s called the guillotine :blush: :blush:

But apart from that Rob, a fairly uneventful shift then? :laughing: :laughing:
Chin up. Well up, with that seat actually.

Salut, David.

THe clutch pedal thing when coupling up is a real problem. Basically it just dumps all the air out of one of the tanks.

THe place I’m at this week has a fleet of 04 plate Scannies, all well maintained. Every single one does it BUT not all the time - about 1 in 3 chance of it happening. Seems to be related to how low the trailer is that you’re picking it up. If it has to lift some of the weight as you’re coupling up, then you get the clutch pedal issue.

I had that problem too when I drove a 4 series scania. But it went away after a While. I assume that I must have changed the way I coupled up. I think I just dumped the suspension before I started reversing. And that helped to keep the air up when raising the suspension before backing fully under.

I think the basic problem is that the air tanks are not big enough on the 4 series. Can’t remember the R series suffering from the same problem when I drove it.

Thought you had packed it in :question:

I don’t think this post was by Rob, I fear it may have been an impostor. I think this is the clue that it isn’t our Rob.

Rob K:
In fact, I’d actually prefer to drive a Renault Premium

:open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Theres some guy on here called Dave K as well - brother perhaps? :open_mouth:

I just have to agree with Rob on this one…scania just dont know how to make a truck…never have…never will…i owned a 141 when i was doing mid east…and that wasnt a bad motor…at the time it was the most decent motor in the uk…;lots of room etc…but no suspension…well scania is not doing bad for suspension these days…but the seats give me back ache…the sun visor dont protect the eyes…hence most scania drivers have the side curtains pulled…they are a heap of ■■■■■■■■■ a scania driver what he would prefer from a scania…or a daf…and all the grief rob had coupling up…why lower the axle…we all know it makes sense to lower the lift axles when reversing under a trailer…but its not necessary to lower the axles until your ready to roll…so as rob said…why…why…because its a poxy scania…nuff said

Right then

The clutch pedal going hard is the 4 way protection valve faulty, probably got the wrong one on, a faulty batch from the factory i think

The bunk slaming down is becasue someone had not used the catch to hold it up !!! Not a fault just a lazy driver!!!

Noisy tachos, yes but thats not scanias fault , they never made the tacho’s!

Needs a new lock set for the doors and iginiton

Hinges snapped off,!!! Been working with the 4 series since it was released and I have never seen a hinge snap off an a corner panel must be a faulty one, did you have to put it in the cab?

Yes some do have a very loose feel to them but not sure what it is?

the light stuck on full beam will be a headlamp bulb i reckon as the filament drops down and makes contact with the dip beam part thus putting full beam on all the time

Sound to me like you had a very very poorly looked after motor to use, Driver wise and Workshop wise!!!

They are not all this bad I can assure you :smiley:

rob i reckon you got a bad one there mate all the 4 series ive driven have been good solid motors but if they aint looked after it dont matter what badge is on em it will be a bad truck when it comes to the hinges on the corner panals ive seen break cuz the wind has caught em and cracked the fibre glass but bassically mate all the probs on that motor are down to it having a poor driver who doesnt look after it.dont lrt it put you off scanny,s :laughing:

Hating to agree with Rob too often :stuck_out_tongue: He even pm’d me to ask what was happening :smiley:

I had a Scania Topline 420 a couple of weeks ago, and Yes, I do drive a Renault Premium.

They are crap. they rattle, they are uncomfortable, the air seat is like being on a trampoline, You have time for a 15 minute break while the suspension sorts itself out when dropping or picking a trailer up!

I have driven the full range of Scanias, from 140 to 143, 80 to 86, 92 to 112 and now a 124. nothing changes, fuel consumption was no better than my Renault.

And it didn’t even have Air Con.

I hate Scanias

smeserver:
Rob. Could it possibly be that you just had a faulty unit?

Uugghh Yes a Scania, which stands for crap, once was more than enough

i have to agree with discopete here, you were very unlucky to have been on the receiving end of a very poorly cared for scania topline.

all of the things wrong should have been reported by the regular driver and repaired by the local service agent.

the air problem is down to the valve set up and could be either a faulty valve or incorrect pipe work (pipes in and out in wrong order).
i had exactly the same problem with my 4x2 when i first got it and it was sorted within an hour.

the front corner panel should have been repaired straight away, body work falling off the vehicle in a roadside check could mean a gv9 being issued.

the dipped/main beam problem could be a fault in the switchgear (like the 2 and 3 series), a new switchgear would remedy this.

the bunk falling down is probably due to the driver not hooking the securing strap in correctly or at all, or maybe they have cut it off and besides which if the bunk is up then perhaps a tv etc should not be placed on it, it would cause unnecessary strain on the bunk as the items on it is pushed into the roof lining, forcing the bunk to be sprung like.

whoever is responsible for this truck should be severely reprimanded by the company.

i will not be trading my 4 series for a r series or another make of truck, but then again i and the boss are the only people that drive it and everything is in perfect working order and it’s spotless too.