Roadworks speed limits

Just heard on the radio news that after extensive trials it has been decided to raise the speed limits through roadworks sections from 50 to 60mph. IMO this can only be a good thing as I’ve seen how much better the traffic flows in 60 limits by separating the cars and HGV’s, thoughts?

I agree, that n/b stretch on the M6 that suddenly goes from a 50 to a 60 prove the point.
All the d/heads in cars that stick to lane 2 like ■■■■ to a blanket are on their way (above my limiter anyway) instead of hogging the middle lane somewhere between 45 and 51, causing bunching and ■■■■■■ off truckers, …then the tailgating starts. :unamused:
Traffic is more spaced out, cars and trucks are more separated, free flowing traffic is the way forward.

Now I suppose I’ll get the …‘‘It’s a limit not target’’ comments off the usual resident T.net road safety experts :unamused: , but I’m on about a Sat morning for instance when it’s relatively quiet and you want to (and can) crack on…■■■■ meeting timed deliveries, need to get home you know, football on tv, cold beer and hot wife waiting. :smiley:

Ffs, It’s got to the stage on here when you nearly always have to put in some kind of ‘disclaimer’ statement to stop the usual suspects jumping in. :unamused: :smiley: )

Sounds good.
If there is a big increase in accidents in roadworks, then think again, but otherwise it sounds sensible.

Franglais:
Sounds good.
If there is a big increase in accidents in roadworks, then think again, but otherwise it sounds sensible.

Valid point. Don’t think that’ll happen though, the opposite in fact. A bit like when they raised the s/c limit from 40 to 50 in fact.

It will take effect in 4-6 months when everyone catches on to the new speed limit. Until then there will always be 1 car in every lane still going 50mph

the maoster:

Franglais:
Sounds good.

Valid point. Don’t think that’ll happen though, the opposite in fact. A bit like when they raised the s/c limit from 40 to 50 in fact.

I`m with you.
I too, expect no such increase in accidents, but if for some peculiar reason there is one, just change back.

it’s been 60mph through the roadworks Newport Pagnell area for some time…works well so far.

Sorry i know this is off topic but regarding speed limits, is there any satnav on the market that updates temporary speed changes?
I have seen this totalsatnav.co.uk/tomtom-tr … -504-p.asp
Looks to be the best truck satnav on the market but my colleague uses a garmin and says garmin are more reliable, any one with good insight as they are expensive compared with regular car satnavs

Bad idea. Should be going down to 40 or 30 not up. When you’ve got a truck in lane 1 and either a truck or coach in lane 2 then a car or transit van in lane 3 it only takes one of those 3 drives to make a small error to move sideways and hit the other one. The road surface is crap and uneven and it doesn’t take much to suddenly find you’ve been knocked to the side.

Also your going to have HGV in lane 1 sat on his limiter at 56mph but in reality his speed will be 55.2mph then in lane 2 another HGV sat on his limiter at 56mph which in reality is 55.7mph and with that 0.5mph difference it takes a few miles to pass whilst all the time cars and vans will trying to nip past in a narrow lane with a metal barrier inches away from them on their offside.

In theory it’s a good idea allowing cars to be able to get away from the trucks and pass quickly but in reality the narrow lanes and restricted space makes it a recipe for the disaster.

The bit where the trial has been done lane 1 is actually a bit wider there but in other areas it’s not.

Jppr2000:
Sorry i know this is off topic but regarding speed limits, is there any satnav on the market that updates temporary speed changes?
I have seen this totalsatnav.co.uk/tomtom-tr … -504-p.asp
Looks to be the best truck satnav on the market but my colleague uses a garmin and says garmin are more reliable, any one with good insight as they are expensive compared with regular car satnavs

TomTom maps are very slow to update, speeds and all. It took mine 3 months to realize the speed limit from j13-15 on the M1 had been changed to 60. The new part of the A14 took more than a month to show up even though it was open for use. It’s pretty spot on warning for traffic jams and road closures, though

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why tf do you need a sat nav to tell you speed limits when there are adequate signs telling you so? :neutral_face:

What they should do is ban HGVs from lane 2 as well as 3 through the road works and leave those lanes to cars. Congestion solved without 2 trucks taking 10 miles to pass each other

DickyNick:
What they should do is ban HGVs from lane 2 as well as 3 through the road works and leave those lanes to cars. Congestion solved without 2 trucks taking 10 miles to pass each other

Nah, just ban trucks from M.ways completely, then I can stay at home. :sunglasses:

DickyNick:

Couldn’t agree more. In fact I’d go one step further and ban HGV’s from motorways altogether and let them be used for their real purpose which is to let car drivers travel from shopping centre to garden centre completely unhindered.

robroy:

DickyNick:

Nah, just ban trucks from M.ways completely, then I can stay at home. :sunglasses:

That’s taking it a bit far stop being a troll

DickyNick:

I’d like this but not to relieve congestion but to make my o/a mirror safe as 99% of lorry drivers seem in capable of driving in a straight line with 2 white lines to help guide them , I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to hit my
Horn to get the ZB out of my lane & into there’s & Save my mirror , I’d bet though they could drive in a straight line with a metal barrier on the n/s !!!

DickyNick:

Did you copy and paste that from mumsnet?

DickyNick:

robroy:

DickyNick:

That’s taking it a bit far stop being a troll

There’s only one troll and we all know who that is don’t we !!

Wont affect me anyway, I work nights and they’d sooner close every major trunk route whether A road or M/way sending us through lovely scenic villages and hamlets instead of coning off lanes and enforcing mobile variable speed limits.

Thing is I can also totally understand it, especially when the fugnuggets tear arse through the live roadworks flat out inches from the road workers.

dozy:
I’d like this but not to relieve congestion but to make my o/a mirror safe as 99% of lorry drivers seem in capable of driving in a straight line with 2 white lines to help guide them , I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to hit my
Horn to get the ZB out of my lane & into there’s & Save my mirror , I’d bet though they could drive in a straight line with a metal barrier on the n/s !!!

You’ve had to get out of your lane and into theirs to save your mirror?

No further questions M’Lud.

Edit to add, just reread your post and realise that you meant you wanted them out of your lane and back into theirs. Carry on.