road tax

what would yu do if on your first da into new job , they gve u a untit ith 5 month out of date road tax in windscreen ?

stevo09uk:
what would yu do if on your first da into new job , they gve u a untit ith 5 month out of date road tax in windscreen ?

Just remind the gaffer that the disc in the window is out of date & go to work, doesn’t mean the truck’s not taxed as he could’ve done it on-line on Friday & the disc won’t land till Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ross.

It’s all computerised on a database now, so the actual disc in the window is becoming irrelevent.

Personally I’ve not had a tax disc in the window of my Landy for 5 years now, that’s not to say it isn’t taxed, it is and always has been.

It’s the registered keeper who gets the fine if the truck is out of tax, not the driver.
Just crack on drive :smiley:

true then again it might nothave any tax at all or mot or insurance . i was told a tax disc must be displayed in winscreen and its a fix penalty offence even though its taxed ■■? some many laws and no enough commonsence out there , after all were not terorist e just want to earn a living for are familys

its a offece to drive without valid tax dix displayed , drivers responsible driver gets the fine . personaly i think its a load of bollox lol

point out it’s out of date, if they don’t agree to pay any potential fines, then don’t take it out.

max £200 fine for taxed but failing to display.

whilst unlikely to get done, but it does happen, i don’t see how the risk : reward ratio stacks up for the people who don’t bother to display, it takes about a minute with a tea break :confused:

From Tax your vehicle - GOV.UK

"Displaying your tax disc
Your vehicle tax disc must be displayed on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, you should display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.
A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.
If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires."

Doesn’t say who has to pay the fine, but I’d bet the driver is first on the list…

Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (c. 22).

Not exhibiting licence

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if–

(a) he uses, or keeps, on a public road a vehicle in respect of which vehicle excise duty is chargeable, and
(b) there is not fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle in the manner prescribed by regulations made by the Secretary of State a licence for, or in respect of, the vehicle which is for the time being in force.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 1 on the standard scale.

(3) Subsection (1)–

(a) has effect subject to the provisions of regulations made by the Secretary of State, and
(b) is without prejudice to section 29.
in force.

i was also told it could be seezed and crushed?

Perhaps the previous driver took current one with him when he left.

tallyman:
From Tax your vehicle - GOV.UK

"Displaying your tax disc
Your vehicle tax disc must be displayed on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, you should display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.
A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.
If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there’s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires."

Doesn’t say who has to pay the fine, but I’d bet the driver is first on the list…

Only if things have changed, was pulled a few years ago with an out of date tax disc VOSA guy just said he would be reporting the vehicle owner for it.
Told me it wasn’t my problem, only the keeper of the vehicle.

stevo09uk:

It could, but it won’t be.

cieranc:

stevo09uk:

It could, but it won’t be.

My neighbour would disagree with you on that one

It won’t be siezed if you’ve just been pulled.
It’ll get siezed if it’s left parked up, the DVLA/Council put warning notices on it, you don’t move or tax it.
Then they’ll lift it.
From that point, it takes 3 months before it can be disposed of, they’ll send you multiple warnings and offers to return the vehicle if you pay up.

If you don’t pay up, or just ignore them, or they can’t trace you, after 3 months they can list the vehicle as abandoned and dispose of it.

Not much actually gets crushed, it usually goes to salvage agents to be broke for parts.

cieranc:
It’s all computerised on a database now, so the actual disc in the window is becoming irrelevent.

Personally I’ve not had a tax disc in the window of my Landy for 5 years now, that’s not to say it isn’t taxed, it is and always has been.

It’s the registered keeper who gets the fine if the truck is out of tax, not the driver.
Just crack on drive :smiley:

Your lucky! you can be given a FPN (Fixed Penalty Notice) for not correctly displaying a valid tax disc in your Landy.

Although the police have no input as to a prosecution or an endorsable offence, they are able to issue a FPN based on this.

I agree with it being electronically stored now it does pretty much render the tax disc pretty useless nowadays.

Interesting.
So if the Police issue a fixed penalty, and you decline it, what happens then? They can’t arrest you for it.

cieranc:
Interesting.
So if the Police issue a fixed penalty, and you decline it, what happens then? They can’t arrest you for it.

I would suggest that they would report you and see you in court

The registered keeper is responsible for the RFL (Tax)…

if you’ve got a smartphone, go to vehiclelicence.gov.uk o to ‘vehicle enquiry’ put in make and reg number and you can check if it’s had roadrent paid

you can also check insurance at askmid.com

No tax displayed - it’s not legal so it wouldn’t go out with me driving it unless they put the tax disc in the window first.

If the company can’t be arsed to do that simple task, what else is lurking they haven’t done? Important maintenance maybe?

Unless you potentially want a ticket don’t drive it until it’s sorted. :wink: