road tax

had a situation arrise that i would like to air on here to get other opinions.

started doing traction for a company with a mixed fleet of trailers. picked up the first, tri-axle on air, no problem. picked up the next, twin axle steel! did the job, thought about things for a while, then put it to another driver that as our units are taxed as either 2+3 or 3+3 ALL on air, we wouldnt be legally taxed for pulling steel sprung trailers.
we have stopped doing the job now, but wondered if my thoughts were correct?

THANX FOR THAT :unamused:
i would never have tought on that as in Austria is there just one Tax for heavy Artics,except for special transport were it others.
You may be right as for 6axle may be a other Tax then for 5axle or 4axle
:bulb: good to know,just,how find it out :question:

I think the steel just cuts your weights down but a twin instead of a tri could change your tax bracket.

Roadhog, without repeating it all, but basically you’re line of thinking is correct. I’f you’re taxed say 2 + 3, you can’t legally pull a tandem.
The steel/air thing isn’t so much an issue here…that’s more to do with being allowed to run at max weight. 44T. May apply to 41/42T aswell not sure.

Driveroneuk:
Roadhog, without repeating it all, but basically you’re line of thinking is correct. I’f you’re taxed say 2 + 3, you can’t legally pull a tandem.
The steel/air thing isn’t so much an issue here…that’s more to do with being allowed to run at max weight. 44T. May apply to 41/42T aswell not sure.

so how come i,m taxed for 3+3 but i can run at 3+2 as long as i dont go over the gross weight for a 3+2 combination?

Er…I think they’ve scrapped all that… :bulb:

2 secs…will go Google :wink:

Here you go…
dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxatio … %20Haulage

Basically it’s still done on number of axles and MGW…but all that guff about only being able to pull a tandem on a tandem tax disc has been simplified. :wink:

Basically it’s still done on number of axles and MGW…but all that guff about only being able to pull a tandem on a tandem tax disc has been simplified

I didn’t know that. :blush: I’ll try to find time to study the link later.

fred Kanka:

Read the tax disc.

jammymutt:

fred Kanka:

Read the tax disc.

and heres me thinking TAX were for keeping carpets down :laughing:

ohterry:

jammymutt:

fred Kanka:

Read the tax disc.

and heres me thinking TAX were for keeping carpets down :laughing:

Noooo Thats Tacks. You can use the other type those as well, but it won’t do as good :wink: :sunglasses: :laughing: :sunglasses: :laughing:

i actually thought about this yesterday and had a look a the dvla site which, like all goverment sites is about as clear as mud but as i read it 6x2 + tri all on air = band E, 6X2 + tandem on air or steel/ tri on steel = band G and a fair bit dearer :confused:

Thank you Paul. :laughing: