Road kill

Hit a fox the other night after washing the wagon to within an inch of its life. I didn’t feel sorry for the fox, but was mildly miffed at the mess it made.

I wondered, what is the biggest thing you’ve hit? (no stobarts drivers with bridges please, you’re exempt)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Pheasant hitting a windscreen was frightening. Fortunately it didnt break it totally. Had a fox, badger, and a glancing blow with a deer, (it ran off), in my car. A (small) bird strike at 80mph on my bike with my head (full face helmet) was awful. Open helmet? Dont wanna think about that.
The badger took out some trim in the grill of a Passat. The Fox went underneath and damaged the bottom rad hose of same car, letting coolant out. Caught it in time, but was more than a little aggravating for me. Id guess the fox wasnt too happy either.
Deer did no damage. But a deer being hit by the front of a car can be swept off it`s legs, slide along the bonnet and go straight through the windscreen… remember that when booting it on a “quiet country road”… it slows me up.
Early morning runs into work on a Monday have had more than their share of excitement I guess.

Cyclists. May or may not be aiming.

Hit quite a few things with heartbeats over the years in lorries, no real damage with the exception of a pheasant that broke a windscreen once. I did however interact with a badger whilst driving my car one night. Heavy buggers! I was that annoyed that I turned around and went back for another go at it but the bloody thing had cleared off :smiling_imp:

the maoster:
Hit quite a few things with heartbeats over the years in lorries, no real damage with the exception of a pheasant that broke a windscreen once. I did however interact with a badger whilst driving my car one night. Heavy buggers! I was that annoyed that I turned around and went back for another go at it but the bloody thing had cleared off :smiling_imp:

I was half expecting the fox to be star fished over my front grill but alas, no. Just a star shaped blood splatter like a bulls eye on an otherwise perfectly white lorry.

Hit and killed a deer with a Ford Sierra on a main road. Did a thousand pounds worth of damage and that was in 1995. Always drive carefully after dark because the deer population is increasing and they are everywhere these days.

I hit a traffic warden once.
He bolted up an alley and went through 3 gardens but I got the ■■■■■■■ eventually

Yeah I know its an old one but much like women, the old uns are the best uns

I’ve had two deer in wagons.

The first was a Daf 55 rigid when I first started driving. I was on for Nightfreight and had already had a seriously bad day after some idiot builder who was supposed to watch me back around a bollard too low for me to se,e instead backed me straight into it, quite spectacularly bending the side rails.
As a newbie I’d already had enough knocks to be known as “Bumper” by the lads, so I was dreading what they’d say when they saw the damage. Then less than 10 minutes from the depot Bambi decides to launch itself out of a hedge, taking out the entire nearside corner of the cab, headlight and all. As I drove through the gate in what now looked like a complete scrapper you could hear the howls of laughter coming from everyone except the gaffer for three counties around, shortly followed by the screech of tyres as a couple of the warehouse boys commandeered (no pun intended!) the nearest van so they could try and find the carcass for the barbecue! :open_mouth:

The cab corner got fixed. The siderails got taken off, flattened out using the time-honoured method of driving over them with a forklift, and bolted on again. I didn’t last much longer in that job. :blush:

The second was when I was on for clothes retailer New Look, who at the time still ran their own fleet out of Weymouth, with most runs double-manned for night-time deliveries. We were steaming south out of Salisbury (me driving) down the short stretch of dual carriageway just outside town on the Southampton road when two deer came out in front of us. The first made it across, the second made a rather sickening thud, then as we sailed past (braking, but too late), clambered to it’s feet and disappeared after it’s mate. Since we were in an old Series 3 Scania with a gurt metal bumper, the truck escaped completely unharmed. :stuck_out_tongue:

The only other incident which sticks in my mind was also on New Look, only this time it was my turn in the jump seat. We were covering a West Country run midsummer so it was still light late on, and as we ran down one of the many long hills on the A38 we could see a dead - or, at least, flat badger in the road ahead. As we got closer it slowly lifted what was left of it’s head and stared at our truck coming steadily towards it. A quick too-and-fro discussion confirmed we both agreed on the kindest course of action, so my co-driver positioned us a little closer to the kerb than was strictly necessary to ensure the job was finished off. :frowning:

(Then there was the seagull I hit down near Tilbury early one week, the head of which stayed stuck in my catwalk until I got back to the pressure washer up here on Teesside 3 days later 'cos I was too squeamish to try and disentangle it by hand…And the pigeon I deliberately left splatted across the grill of my car until we sold it, simply because it made the kids squeal…And countless voles, rats, hedgehogs and bunnies…But they were just normal roadkill so don’t really count. :grimacing: )

Do any of you cook the road kill, or is it just me? I have enjoyed a fair few pheasants over the years.

Loads of pheasants, numerous pidgeons, two deer , one cat and 1 dog, now the dog was on one of those wander leads and it sat at the side of the A38 in Derby with its owner. I was waiting for traffic to clear on the roundabout, dog and owner were waiting to cross on my right hand side as I was in the offside lane attempting to make a right at the roundabout.

I dropped the clutch to make a suitable gap in the traffic, but my wheels spun even though loaded…strange? I thought… with traction reestablished and under way, I glanced in the mirror to see said gentleman with lead in hand looking at the mangled blob in the road that was his dog. I did do a circuit of the roundabout to make sure of what I had seen but the poor chap still stood there with the lead in his hand.

I didnt have the heart to stop…plus I was late for my delivery.

Twoninety88:
I did do a circuit of the roundabout to make sure of what I had seen but the poor chap still stood there with the lead in his hand.

I didnt have the heart to stop…plus I was late for my delivery.

LOL, that was an unexpected end to that story.

I hit a monkjack deer on the A34 last year. I pulled over at the next layby to assess damage, and there wasn’t any, but the mess of blood and bone was everywhere, even on the rear brake chambers. Poor thing.

alamcculloch:
Do any of you cook the road kill, or is it just me? I have enjoyed a fair few pheasants over the years.

I was a cook at the time but no I didn’t fancy venison.

The-Snowman:
Yeah I know its an old one but much like women, the old uns are the best uns

Brings back memories of an ex thats 10 years older than me no mate, they really are not! :laughing:

Bull Elk, what do I win?

flat to the mat:
Bull Elk, what do I win?

If it was a bull you’d definitely win [emoji106]

Fincham:

alamcculloch:

In the pub last night and someone offered me 8 venison legs for 50 quid. I told him that was too dear.

Nite Owl:

Fincham:

alamcculloch:

In the pub last night and someone offered me 8 venison legs for 50 quid. I told him that was too dear.

That joke has stag nated I’m afraid.

When I was in the navy,the sub I was in hit a squid,not road kill,but kind of the same

malcolmgbell:
When I was in the navy,the sub I was in hit a squid,not road kill,but kind of the same

I don’t beleive it, how could you have seen?! They don’t have windows on military subs!

malcolmgbell:

My local fishmonger buys squid that have been hit by vessels. I thought that he’d only pay a fiver but oh no, he pays up to sick squid.

Badum tish.