Rigid about about a rigid

Yep, although I’m pretty confident these days with the artics, tomorrow I’ve to take a 51 plate Scania 6 wheeler.

I’ve not driven a rigid since my C test.

I didn’t really want to take the rigid, but if I hold out for an artic on this job it will be a mega day of Dutch trollies, whereas if I man up and take the rigid I get a late start and early finish.

No contest really as I’m working Sunday too.

Nerves are back! [emoji53]

Oh and for those that remember my situation, I’ve ditched the office job now so it’s trucking all the way now! [emoji3]

Rigids are Ok, just take it easy, we get a few of our Rigids coming into the yard with pallets shot over the deck, whereas the Artics don’t seem to suffer the same problem, (perhaps they drive a bit more carefully)
Don’t forget- it’s You who’s gonna be picking up the boxes if they’ve parted company with the pallets. Lol.

That’s not an issue, it’s Dutch trollies, which if loaded corectly fill the back with no space to move.

I’m worried about corners and turning circles and reversing as it feels to me like an artic is easier. Less overhang too. :-S

Bet you turn the wheel the wrong way when starting the reverse :laughing:

I’m going to go in early to play with it in the yard before I have to go to the customer, I should have a full 45 to play in it. There’s some pretty tight roads on the way so I guess just slow it all down… Gonna feel so weird when it doesn’t bend!

ROG that’s exactly what I’m thinking!! Darnation, I’ve just gotten relaxed too, I reckon it will take me twice as long to get on the bays! :frowning:

TheMissus:
I’m worried about corners and turning circles and reversing as it feels to me like an artic is easier. Less overhang too. :-S

I drive a 26t rigid, lowly me for you CE lot!

To be honest think only thing you’ll suffer, as you’ve already mentioned, is the turning circle. They don’t have one! I can guarantee that you’ll start turning and wonder where rest of your steering is when you hit lock.

Turning into roads/yards you’ll be starting to turn way before where you would in an artic or you’ll never get round.

Other than that, following your normal lines that you would in an artic won’t be far wrong.

Have fun.

Thanks dgcpx! Good point, I’ll look at the entrances differently. Fortunately the first site has a huge turning area!!

Do you know the dims on your 26t? Need to adjust my satnav and have no clue what length might be, this is a scania p series 26t. Height will be in cab, can’t guarantee rest.

TheMissus:
Thanks dgcpx! Good point, I’ll look at the entrances differently. Fortunately the first site has a huge turning area!!

Do you know the dims on your 26t? Need to adjust my satnav and have no clue what length might be, this is a scania p series 26t. Height will be in cab, can’t guarantee rest.

65’ long and 8’ wide is what I’ve left mine on. As for actually driving one, watch your swing and cut in hard. You can improve your turning circle if you lift your tag axles but you then massively increase your overhang.

Mine has a fat arse.

65’ some size[emoji4]
Think mines on 8m and 2.2wide 13’ 7" high - Scania P280

Length and width don’t really bother , I look at road and decide if I want to go down it or not.

ROG:

I do that when running bobtail. :open_mouth:

It’ll be like riding a bike. Once your in it you’ll be wondering why you was getting yourself in a twist about it.

I do it with our Artic. Get all worked up CUs I don’t drive it that often but once I’m in the cockpit, it all falls Into place.

mrginge:

ROG:

I do that when running bobtail. :open_mouth:

I do this also as one day I will have the drag then the next day without… Makes me chuckle when I do it as I look like I have lost the plot swinging the wheel from side to side [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Had to drive 6 wheeler a while ago for whole day. Scary stuff :smiley:

1. You may been caught on T junctions as 6 wheeler have “smaller” hard lock on steering wheel!
  2. Innormous tailswing when lifting axle is up.
  3. Steering wrong way when reversing.
  4. You don’t see in mirrors what you get used to at roundabouts and junctions (how your trailer behaves as you don’t have one).

I drive this, it’s 35 foot long 8’2" wide and 11’8" high at the beacon. To reduce the turning circle raise the rear lift axle but watch the swing (that is if your not too heavy)

Thanks to all, it was mega stressful to start with.

It was a bit of a pooheap which didn’t endear it to me. I’m not what I’d call fussy but it was proper manky.

The overhang was massive, kept the rear axle down at all times and even then it was about 9 feet or so. It was so slow to pull away, really struggled at busy roundabouts.

But, mostly turned the wheel the right way reversing, didn’t hit anything or break anything, which, given where I was going was pure luck I think!

Going to try and add some pics from my phone in a sec. Nice short day though and back in an artic tomorrow :smiley:

Definitely not a pretty boy.

Suddenly a bit happier not in an artic after all.

Sorry, it wouldn’t let me put them all in one post for some reason.

Least it’s all done and out in a bendy tomorrow :smiley:

Work don’t send me out in a rigid very often but when they do must get the award of “chump of the week” trying to reverse it into places reverse as normal then can’t work out why it’s going the wrong way lol he he all fun :blush: :smiley: