Right - You Moanning Lot

see this document [dsa workshop]here](http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/policy/766-01_REP_DSA_CPC_Stakeholder_Workshop_Version_1-1.pdf)

its all in post graduate speak so make of it what you like, you also need adobe to read it

new drivers either have to do a minimum of 280 hours inital traing and is subject to other conditions, or the govermant may go with accelerated training of 140 hours also subject to conditions.

or

a detailed 6 hour test which invovles 4 hours 2 part therotical test and a 2 hour practical test consistant of 1 1/2 hour driving and 30 minute vehicle and document test.

if you come in to this industry fresh faced and as in most cases on the newbie forum dont know how to fill out a tacho that is just to much pressure

jon

jonboy:
see this document [dsa workshop]here](http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Documents/policy/766-01_REP_DSA_CPC_Stakeholder_Workshop_Version_1-1.pdf)

its all in post graduate speak so make of it what you like, you also need adobe to read it

new drivers either have to do a minimum of 280 hours inital traing and is subject to other conditions, or the govermant may go with accelerated training of 140 hours also subject to conditions.

or

a detailed 6 hour test which invovles 4 hours 2 part therotical test and a 2 hour practical test consistant of 1 1/2 hour driving and 30 minute vehicle and document test.

if you come in to this industry fresh faced and as in most cases on the newbie forum dont know how to fill out a tacho that is just to much pressure

jon

Surely that’s the point so you learn about tacho regs, load security etc, before you start work.

It’s a bit like having you airline pilot say I’ve just passed my test, it only involved flying a circuit round the airport, I’ll learn about the navigation, ILS, etc on the job.

I have a couple of “issues” with this latest pile of bog wipes to come from Brussels.

1,I’m an O/D so I’m gonna have to pay for it.

2,Whether it’s 1 day a year (which unless it’s a weekend costing extra no doubt means 2 days) or 5 days at the end of 5 years thats still a weeks money lost = 1800- 2000 on top of the course fees

3,What will it consist of? will it Be sombody telling me how to drive my own lorry whose only experience ha come from a text book?

4,What would you be able to learn in the second 35 hours that you didn’t learn in the previous 35?

5, Are we gonna be the only ones in the EU enforcing it as Teflon Tony finds another “income stream” from the fines

I shall add more as I think of 'em.I’ve not put a lot of thought into it yet :wink:

muckles:

jonboy:

or

jon

Surely that’s the point so you learn about tacho regs, load security etc, before you start work.

It’s a bit like having you airline pilot say I’ve just passed my test, it only involved flying a circuit round the airport, I’ll learn about the navigation, ILS, etc on the job.

it doesn’t take 280 hours to learn tacho regs and strapping. as for the airline pilot its not even in the same league.

jon

jonboy:
it doesn’t take 280 hours to learn tacho regs and strapping. as for the airline pilot its not even in the same league.

jon

The 280 hours is for 18 years old taking a C or C+E test, 21 year olds get accellerated training. But from what I’ve read the UK is likely to go for the test option. Which will basically be a longer HGV test covering the CPC sylabus.

The Difference with an airline and a truck driver, you have 2 pilot in the cab and don’t have a load of idiots doing the school run or going to work to deal with. :laughing:

mrpj:

dennisw1:
… you shoudl fly through any such course without even having to think about it. Shouldnt you?

If that’s going to be the case then what’s the point of it?

because there will be some who dont know as much as they think they do. as i said it will separate out the wheat from the chaf and maybe get rid of some of the idiots we have on the roads.

You always hear people moan on here about bad drivers, yet when something comes along that might put pay to some of them.

Personally i’m not worried, i’m always keen to learn and i have no worries about passing it.

dennisw1:
because there will be some who dont know as much as they think they do. as i said it will separate out the wheat from the chaf and maybe get rid of some of the idiots we have on the roads.

You always hear people moan on here about bad drivers, yet when something comes along that might put pay to some of them.

Personally i’m not worried, i’m always keen to learn and i have no worries about passing it.

Well said, I was just going to post something similar

regularly on here we hear moans about driving standards, poor standards of training etc , and when the Governments come up with a plan to train drivers more it’s moan moan moan again :open_mouth: :confused: :unamused:

If this is to be training incorporated at the test stage, it’ll be a good thing. I remember the first Tacho disc I ever used was put into the head the wrong way around, and didn’t record anything. This was because, it was the first time I had come across one. No one had even mentioned tachographs to me, let alone load security etc. However, to force qualified drivers to undertake such training is absurd. Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach (or work for agencies!).

This EXAM is for all drivers of the EU and for any driver from a ““NON-EU””
CONTRY WHO WISHES TO work for a european firm and is directly based in the EU member countrys ,which means all drivers who are behind the wheel of a EU REGERSTIRED VEHICLE will have to take this EXAM so therebye stopping all those who are not comptent enough ,these means higher standards all round and even us OLDIES will have to go back to school,which should not be a problem for us as we are of course professional drivers are we not,

REMEMBER that the learning of a job never ends .

In which case, who are going to be qualified to teach the already qualified, if driving standards are really that bad already, it’s surely not going to be put into the hands of existing training companies, who obviously aren’t doing a good enough job now.

Sound like another way of fleecing an already over burdened industry to me. :unamused:

brit pete:
the course covers all points that one needs for the work,

FROM, ADR/HAZERDOUS—all classes and both groupage&tanks,
forklift training+test, load restraint,mechanical subjects from A–Z
first-aid.traffic rules+regulations, drivers regulations, freight paper work
from CMR,CEMT:CARNAT; etc.

So, are we to believe that after taking this course, you will be qualified for all classes of ADR & have fork lift licences? or just be aware that you require them?
And what use is this to me? I’ve already got both!

I have due to where i am liveing and working TAKEN A EXAM IN 1988 which here in GERMANY means that i am reconised as a fully qualified
and tested professional driver, but even those who have this qualifacation
will have to take the 35hrs course,WHY because modern transport evolves and changes which inturn means that the person,s useing the equipment
must change and learn again,This will be good for the EMPLOYMENT.
as standards rise then so will the amount of drivers avalible diminish which inturn will bring about better pay and working conditions,as the employer will wish to retain his good drivers,

but its all down to the employer having to put his hand in his pocket, which is already stressed to the max. ok companys like dhl,exel ,wincantons will have no problem but joe bloggs transport running on a thread its just another cost they can ill afford.

you order a new truck with a fancy auto gear box,doesn’t some one come in to train the drivers to use it already,to get the best fuel ecconomy. digital tachograph will take about half an hour to learn how to use. why do i need 35 hours in a 5 year period [zb] refresher course.

plus the fact the only member state upholding this [zb] will be the uk :smiling_imp:

jon

Denis F:

dennisw1:

Well said, I was just going to post something similar

regularly on here we hear moans about driving standards, poor standards of training etc , and when the Governments come up with a plan to train drivers more it’s moan moan moan again :open_mouth: :confused: :unamused:

I dis-agree.

The bad drivers will still be bad drivers (afterall they have already been trained to a professional standard when they passed their C/C+E test.

All that will happen is they will do enough to pass the test & then walk away saying the course was a load of carp and they know more than any course because THEY already think they are the best driver on the road!

If EVERY drivers has to have one then how does that seperate the wheat fRom the chaff?
A better idea would be to leave the status quo and introduce a “voulantary” course that would certify anybody taking it as basic through to advanced/expert to show their skills level.

Also this will do nothing to alleviate the “driver shortage” we keep hearing about.

What about the person who already has a C/C+E who had a change of career but is thinking about coming back to wagoneering?
When they find out they’ll have to spend a week in a classroom paid for out of their own pocket … do you think this legislation will encourage them back?

NSH this may be true in some cases but sorry I do belive that this will help the driver improve his place of employment and also where appropiate the employer will look after his or her drivers much better than before,

brit pete:
I have due to where i am liveing and working TAKEN A EXAM IN 1988 which here in GERMANY means that i am reconised as a fully qualified
and tested professional driver, but even those who have this qualifacation
will have to take the 35hrs course,WHY because modern transport evolves and changes which inturn means that the person,s useing the equipment
must change and learn again,This will be good for the EMPLOYMENT.
as standards rise then so will the amount of drivers avalible diminish which inturn will bring about better pay and working conditions,as the employer will wish to retain his good drivers,

I have also taken an Exam, 2 infact. The driving test, in which it was found that I am competent to drive the vehicles for which I was tested, and a CPC after which I was found to be competent to hold an operators licence. My fleet doesn’t evolve, its just lorries. Drivers can either do the job or they can’t.

brit pete:
This will be good for the EMPLOYMENT, as standards rise then so will the amount of drivers avalible diminish which inturn will bring about better pay and working conditions,as the employer will wish to retain his good drivers.

:confused: I pay as much as possible at present, to drivers who do a good job & are reasonably happy with the work/pay ratio. If I am forced to pay higher wages due to there being less available drivers there will be no jobs here at all. Therefore, not at all good for employment.

The EU seem to want to grind all the small haulage businesses into the ground as they wrongly presume big is best.
It would appear that VOSA have a similar goal, believing that the large fleets on full R&M contracts are better maintained.
I know my fleet inside out, I know every little dent and scratch. I konw this because I own them, they are how I pay for my house ,kids school, food etc. Can you say that about a stuffed suit in a large fleet’s office? No, I didn’t think so.
I ask again, who’s going to teach the people who are already at the sharp end? Someone who has been in the training game for the last 10 years, who has loads of training, but no practical experience?
I’m all for increasing the difficulty of the initial test, but once we’ve passed that and therefore been deemed capable, leave us alone to get on with making a living.

brit pete:
NSH this may be true in some cases but sorry I do belive that this will help the driver improve his place of employment and also where appropiate the employer will look after his or her drivers much better than before,

I do too, I have no problem with additional training and yes as self employed I will have to cough up the fee. I do consider myself a professional and to be certified as such will “sort the wheat from the chaff.” as already has been quoted.

brit pete:
WHY because modern transport evolves and changes which inturn means that the person,s useing the equipment
must change and learn again,

Forgive for being naieve but isnt that what on the job training does already.

If your company gets new equipment surely they will train you in it’s use before letting you work with it.
If you start a new job that uses equipment you’ve never used before you tell the company and they train you on it.

this is what you do if an…

Brit Pete:
…employer will wish to retain his good drivers,

Ladytrucker679:
I do consider myself a professional and to be certified as such will “sort the wheat from the chaff.” as already has been quoted.

The point I’m making is you have already been certified as a professional driver by passing your C/C+E test & if every driver must have t is new cpc how does that seperate the wheat from the chaff as they will both have the same certificate ?

tramper you say your drivers can do the job ,well ,good, But sorry you do not just jump in a lorry into days enviroment and toddle off down the road,

the aspects of our job are changeing all the time and it is in every ones intrest to get the best training and qualifications.At my place of employment we do training evety 3 months in various subjects,
WHY because the rules and the job is changeing all the time,and ignorance does not stop the enforcement officer when they find you not complieing with the latest laws,regulations which cover that aspect of the work in which you are participateing. sorry i am for better training and qualification ,which inturn improves the all round safety aspect as well,

NOT every firm teaches their drivers any thing at all they just chuck the keys over and say drive, NO this exam is a way of getting better employers who
are qualified as required by law . What about the ISO 9002 NORM
TO get good contracts nearly all BLUE CHIP firms in operation wish their transport & haulage firms to have this certificate with the addition that the drivers being so qualified as laid down by the EU this will help with getting work , i do belive,

This exam is meant for the new driver and allows also that the older driver to be tested,In the UK we do not really have such a scheme and therefore it is haveing to startup ,i have seen advertisements for potential instructors on the web,This is where the EUROPEAN COUNTRIES who have a teaching system
are in front we need to have personal sent abroad to checkhow the european neighbours do it, in say Holland,or Germany,
TRANMPER why not take a good look at what advantages this will bring for you in the long run, andas of yet no one knows how the courses will be run or financed ,if the employer has to pay this must be able to offset it on the yearly -tax return surely,

NSH::: this EXAM all though you have seen or heard that it is called CPC
it has nothing at all to do with the CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE (?)
that you or any one has to take in order to have a transport company,
This is just like say a "“GCE” OR ““O”” level exam which proves that the person who has passed such test is acreddited with being fully qualified
in those subjects of the drivering job which they carry out,