Right - You Moanning Lot

After all the grumbles on the “Digi-Tachos” thread, where Rikki points how few people actually responded to the Consultation Document.

New LGV consultation

A NEW QUALIFICATION for professional bus and lorry drivers should lead to better motoring for everyone. whether driving in the UK or on the continent, according to the DSA.

Consultation is currently taking place on proposals for new rules for all professional lorry and bus drivers to hold a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) as well as their vocational driving licence in order to work in the road transport industry.

The CPC, seen by many as the latest piece of legislation in an already over-regulated industry, will have to be renewed every five years.
Paul Butler, Policy and E-Assessment Director for the DSA, said: "Our roads are getting more crowded all the time. Vehicles are getting larger. More is being demanded of our professional drivers.

The introduction of a Europe-wide certificate should result in higher common standards for all lorry and bus drivers across Britain and the rest of Europe."

The consultation Paper can be found on the DSA’s website on www.dsa.gov.uk

Source: Driving Instructor magazine

It is coming. It’s an EU requirement. And it will involve 35 hours of learning.

But at least you can influence the content and the method of delivery and contribute your opinions to the Regulary Impact Assessment.

:confused: The CPC which is already required to operate vehicles has nothing whatsoever to do with driving standards.
So what ever this new peice of legislation is, it will need a new name.
How about the Driving Test? :unamused:

if you have a current cpc will you still need to do this driver version and also who,s gonna pay for it .i suppose vosa will enforce it and the rest of europe will ignore it

only if you drive full time :open_mouth: , if you are ie… fitter transpot manager etc and only drive partime ie taking trucks to mot etc then you dont have to sit the cpc cobblers joke aint it,

one question, who pays for a week in a classroom every five years? more euro bull :angry: :angry:

Carl:
if you have a current cpc will you still need to do this driver version

The two CPC’s are different.

This exam is nothing to do with being able to either act as a transport manager or as a owner driver,
It is a exam which is for the person who wishes to drive a heavy goods vehicle,the aim from the EU is to improve the standard of all drivers ,
those drivers who fall into the Grandfarthers rights catergory will only have to do 35hrs but those others will have to take part ina much longer training course ,
AS a matter of intrest in Holland .Germany they have had a training system in place for many years,in Germany you have to either study for 3 years or if you have beendriveing for over 5years a heavygoods vehicle you may take the shortened route of 6 months,due to you haveing the experience .
the course covers all points that one needs for the work,

FROM, ADR/HAZERDOUS—all classes and both groupage&tanks,
forklift training+test, load restraint,mechanical subjects from A–Z
first-aid.traffic rules+regulations, drivers regulations, freight paper work
from CMR,CEMT:CARNAT; etc.

all this for £6-£7 an hour , :unamused: :angry: think its time to jack

thanks for the clarification lads.can i ask who really thinks every firm in europe is gonna pay for every driver they have to do this test.if theres a driver shortage now just wait till this kicks in.

I found some infomation on the this, but I can’t find now DOH! :blush:

But basically it was the UK Governments consultation about how they saw the best way of tackling this.

From my understanding of what I read, you don’t have to do a 35 hour training course at the end of every 5 years to keep you licence. There is also no requirment that you take any exams after your training.

What you must complete is 35 hours training in a 5 year period, each training blok must be no less than 7 hours, So one day a years training would cover it.

There is a sylubus, but you and your employer can choose what would be the best parts of it to suit your particular needs. The training also doesn’t have to be classroom based, it could be pratical or on road training.

I’ll try and find the document and post the link.

they are hell bent on making it hard to stay in this job, it makes me tired. im gonna be really racked off if the person training me aint even got my experience!

ah well, years of sterling service and i have to take some balls of a test! i spose its swallow the ■■■■ or pull the pin, i generally swallow it, what else can a boy do?

reminds me when the citb garbage came out around 90 summat, i got my hiab ticket for listening to a load of cobblers off some bloke that couldnt even drive one, and yet id done the job with success for 5 yeras, it’s certain the world is run by the principle of madness.

I can see that Section 3, paragraph 3.6 ‘Company Image’ being fun for some. :confused: :laughing:

its made up my mind im looking for a diffrent job.

wtd (cuts the money i can earn), digital tachograph £38 for your first one then £19 every 5 years, medical expenses (when i reach that age). not forgetting the money spent in getting the bloody licence in the first place

and now iv’e got to train to do a job i’ve been doing for the last 6/7 years and if i don’t do it im up the creek without a paddle.

you drop on a year where you have to renew your medical ,training and digital tacho its going to be a waste of time going to earn money in the first place

absolutley [zb] crazy :smiling_imp:

jon

So long as i’m getting paid i dont care if i have to do it.

No one’s ever too old to learn and no matter how long you’ve been in a job you never know ‘everything’ I’ve worked with a few people who thought they did, and they could never admit when they cocked up. Vehicle technology is constantly advancing, just look at the number of questions you see on here like 'how do i work this gearbox" etc

If at the end of the day though, you’re a highly experience proffesional driver the you shoudl fly through any such course without even having to think about it. Shouldnt you?

I think it’d be a good thing though, it goes further than teaching people to pass the test then letting them loose in 40 tonnes of steel with no further supervison. Insurers may look more favourably on new drivers who’ve done it. Hope fully it’ll also sort out the wheat from the chaff with regard to existing drivers. Plenty of 7.5t drivers who dont even know how to indicate will certainly be in for a shock.

jonboy:
you drop on a year where you have to renew your medical ,training and digital tacho its going to be a waste of time going to earn money in the first place

absolutley [zb] crazy :smiling_imp:

jon

You don’t have to do 35 hours training at the end of the 5 years, just have completed it the 5 year period. I’ve forgotten the exact words, but it was something like they will take a broad look on who will be an acredited training organisation. This means your company could apply to be a training organisation, so training would be on the job, maybe one day a year.

dennisw1:
… you shoudl fly through any such course without even having to think about it. Shouldnt you?

If that’s going to be the case then what’s the point of it?

I would imagine it’ll be something along the lines of the exams I’ve had on this thread.

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14214&highlight=&sid=cd01f4169a6f328c1daab75ec85f1c5e

Or the same as Mal pointed out , by someone who knows squat about the job!

Just another way for someone to rip us all off.

The Directive also gives details of a new initial qualification regime that new drivers must go through before they can drive professionally for the first time.

you’ve paid all that cash out ot get your licence,but if you don’t do the extra training (cpc for drivers)what you got nothing.

a employer cant take you on,they certainly aint going to stump up for a just passed driver to do the training. you can’t get them to give you a go know.

if it does become part of the driving test ,well i personally think that new drivers have to go through enough [zb] now ,without the extra stress of another exam/ extra training.

jon

jonboy:

The Directive also gives details of a new initial qualification regime that new drivers must go through before they can drive professionally for the first time.

you’ve paid all that cash out ot get your licence,but if you don’t do the extra training (cpc for drivers)what you got nothing.

a employer cant take you on,they certainly aint going to stump up for a just passed driver to do the training. you can’t get them to give you a go know.

if it does become part of the driving test ,well i personally think that new drivers have to go through enough [zb] now ,without the extra stress of another exam/ extra training.

jon

Fair point Jon, why cannot the new CPC course and tests become part of the theory test for Provisional Licence holders, so at least you may have to pay a bit more for the training element but not pay twice, once for Licence and then again for CPC.

jonboy:

jon

That’s not the way it’s going to work, the CPC will be part of the HGV test. The options are either a certain amount of hours training or a longer test. It’s upto the Government to decide whoch is the best for the UK.
Some of the things required by the CPC are already covered in the Driving test so won’t be duplicated, other things would include a practical test on load security and a test on tacho regs.