Right exit on roundabout

There seem to be two schools of thought on this…

One is that if your exit is to the right then you approach the roundabout in the right lane, go round on the inside of the roundabout, indicate to exit left at the appropriate place and cut across to the outside and your exit lane.

The other is to approach in the left lane (being a LGV and wanting to defend your vulnerable nearside), go round the outside of the roundabout until your exit, then indicate and head off at your exit.

Which is ‘correct’'? I know every roundabout is different, and lane markings may direct you to one or other approach, but in the absence of specific markings what is the preferred rule of thumb?

If its a small one then I hog both lanes. A large one then I’m in the right hand lane to turn right unless directed otherwise.

The first scenario is the correct way to do it. Some drivers choose the second option for the reason you mention. But it’s prone to problems when other vehicles want to leave the roundabout and it’s blocked by an artic in the wrong lane.

It’s not right, it’s not professional and there’s no need. A competent driver wont have any problems doing it correctly.

To use the second scenario on a driving test would be an instant fail in every case.

There will now be a selection of comments about “driving in the real world” etc. Good luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ORC:
The other is to approach in the left lane (being a LGV and wanting to defend your vulnerable nearside), go round the outside of the roundabout until your exit, then indicate and head off at your exit.

Extremely dangerous, what about traffic going straight on and using the right hand lane to perform that manoeuvre assuming there is two exit lanes. Could end up with a vehicle hitting the side of the truck.

A big no no!

Paul :smiley:

Depends on the size of the roundabout how wide the road is and trailer size but pinching both lanes if it’s smaller is better stops lemmings trying to be clever leaving you to concentrate on the roundabout.
Tin hat on here but there are times when you have to cut across to turn right not often but you got to get round and yes I know lol hiding behind the settee :unamused:

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

If there is not enough space for a large vehicle, then you should position yourself in order to take only as much space as you need. Without causing danger to other road users.

Who’s school of thought is this then :question:

Many variables at roundabouts. Are the other roadusers in the correct lane? Have any painted arrows worn off? etc

Best thing to do in my opinion is do as you were taught,but always be alert and ready to adapt to a changing situation. I personally find it slightly different in an artic than I did when I was driving rigids. Size of roundabout obviously is a major factor in this as some people in cars aren’t quite sure which lane you are in.

Keep vigilant in your mirrors and you wont go far wrong. On a couple of occasions I have accepted my fate when I have found myself in the wrong lane but a lane change (regardless of indicating),would have been potentially dangerous.

Swampey2418:

The French (obviously swapping right for left). To misquote paul at elmet training above to not do so in your truck driving test here is an instant fail. In fact you have to stay in the outside lane and indicate as if you are going around the roundabout whether you are going straight on or turning left, to protect your inside.

Flat out x all lanes possible and don’t indicate.

Well that’s what the majority of car drivers do so it must be right.

LGV theory question , answer is left lane indicating right. I

And after you decide on the correct way for you,
goto Swindon, and tackle the magic roundabout in an arctic lol
1 central roundabout, then 5 satellite roundabouts surrounding it,
loadsa fun and beeping horns :laughing: :laughing:

images.jpg

I had training routes covering the similar roundabout at Hemel Hempstead in the early 70’s. Great if everyone knows what they’re doing and where they’re going. Otherwise, chaos!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m a regular around Hemel Hempstead’s magic roundabout, and yes it can be much fun and chaos!

I guess my problem is that I’m trying to learn the trade but I’m on my own out on the road, so the best way to learn is to watch how the professionals do it and copy them, right? Wrong, it seems. Despite seeing many other artic drivers adopt the left lane, right turn approach, I am comforted to see here that it is technically incorrect so I shall stick to what I was taught.

How does one learn this job safely, if copying the other professionals on the road leads one into so many bad habits… :confused:

Swampey2418:

Virtually anyone from the other side of the Channel, IME…

And a good many of them even do it when there are clear and unambiguous lane markings telling them to do otherwise.

I always take the right lane for turning right,unless the road marking say otherwise.
Unless im in an artic in which case I take every ■■■■■■■ lane there is,and every lane the whole way round before taking the whole road upon my exit from said roundabout. Everyone hates us anyway,might as well take advantage of it! :laughing: :laughing:

interestingly the only road user that can choose to always keep left when taking the last exit (right turn) off a roundabout is a cyclist, this is due to them being a vulnerable road user that might be at greater danger using the right lane on a busy roundabout, however they often cause chaos for drivers trying to exit the roundabout!

Frankly if I was you i’d worry more about intermediate junctions and what lane to use, 1st and last exits are easy but the ones in the middle when you have 5 or more exits off the roundabout? erm… try to read the signs and road marking carefully so you get in the correct position and good luck!

Tockwith Training:
interestingly the only road user that can choose to always keep left when taking the last exit (right turn) off a roundabout is a cyclist, this is due to them being a vulnerable road user that might be at greater danger using the right lane on a busy roundabout,

Also horse riders

nobodys mentioned the ladies choice yet??

womans directions.jpg