Right exit on roundabout

Very clever! PMSL

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I regularly do one. Right hand lane for 3 large roundabouts to head from the north access road to the southbound dual carriageway.

Right hand lane, but taking it carefully as they cut me up. They use the left hand lane to pass me on the left to go where I’m going. The only time I tried it had a car try and rearrange my bumper by turning left fro. My right in that right hand lane.

Some, I’ll spread out a little so the trailer wheels don’t clip the kerb, slow down and let them race off.

Asserting my road position there will result in them vanishing from view followed by some crunching noises.

So give them space, and just get on with it.

Tockwith Training:
interestingly the only road user that can choose to always keep left when taking the last exit (right turn) off a roundabout is a cyclist, this is due to them being a vulnerable road user that might be at greater danger using the right lane on a busy roundabout, however they often cause chaos for drivers trying to exit the roundabout!

Frankly if I was you i’d worry more about intermediate junctions and what lane to use, 1st and last exits are easy but the ones in the middle when you have 5 or more exits off the roundabout? erm… try to read the signs and road marking carefully so you get in the correct position and good luck!

Aye, this is a terrible piece of advice. What a way to introduce uncertainty to an already challenging road situation! Always reminds me of the American system of allowing undertaking.

Go round the island, realise you’re in the wrong lane when you spot “AIdoesn’treallymatteranywayyou’regoingonthetollnowyoutwat” then use all 3 left side mirrors to bodge your way over. Then give the guy you cut up a thumbs up for not trying to flag you down to kick your head in.

That’s how I do it anyway.

Tockwith Training:
interestingly the only road user that can choose to always keep left when taking the last exit (right turn) off a roundabout is a cyclist, this is due to them being a vulnerable road user that might be at greater danger using the right lane on a busy roundabout, however they often cause chaos for drivers trying to exit the roundabout!

Frankly if I was you i’d worry more about intermediate junctions and what lane to use, 1st and last exits are easy but the ones in the middle when you have 5 or more exits off the roundabout? erm… try to read the signs and road marking carefully so you get in the correct position and good luck!

I’ve found that if there are more than 4 exits then there is better signage and lanes on the road to tell you where to go. Usually.

Some islands I take in what is technically the wrong lane. I can think of one island where to turn right the road markings say right hand lane. However, I approach in the middle lane which is for going straight on. I go round the island in the middle lane which then becomes the left lane without me having to change lanes. I’m now already in the correct lane to exit the island. No one gets cut up and I don’t have to change lanes halfway round the island.

IMO it’s a badly marked out island and it’s not the only one. Although I’m sure on a test I’d get a minor mark.

Terry T:
Some islands I take in what is technically the wrong lane. I can think of one island where to turn right the road markings say right hand lane. However, I approach in the middle lane which is for going straight on. I go round the island in the middle lane which then becomes the left lane without me having to change lanes. I’m now already in the correct lane to exit the island. No one gets cut up and I don’t have to change lanes halfway round the island.

IMO it’s a badly marked out island and it’s not the only one. Although I’m sure on a test I’d get a minor mark.

The roundabout where you come off the M6 north for Hams Hall is like that.

Steeps

Nobody has mentioned on here,the ’ 12 o clock rule '.

eagerbeaver:
Nobody has mentioned on here,the ’ 12 o clock rule '.

That if its close to lunch time you can just charge right on and go any way you want? Including going counter clockwise? :laughing:
Ive used that one myself when I saw a battered Astra pull up and a guy with woman and three kids was going to get to the snack van before me.
No way was I waiting while they ordered umpteen rolls and spend half my 45 deciding what they wanted (UK law dictates you wait till at front of queue to decide,esp if lots of people waiting. Deciding beforehand is preposterous) so I envoked the 12 o’clock rule and got there first.
Or am I in the wrong? (Im usually in an artic so surely I always have right of way anyway?) :laughing:

I knew wouldn’t be long before someone jumped on my post lol!!

Sods law its my old mate Snowman. Its always a bolloxed astra PMSL.

There seem to be loads of large roundabouts with unhelpful markings. For example, it starts with two lanes and tells you to get into the right hand lane, then out of nowhere a third lane appears by splitting the LEFT lane, and you’re supposed to then magic yourself across to what is now the middle lane…but you can’t because you’re now stranded in the right lane where they told you to go initially.

I am finding the right lane approach quite dangerous, albeit technically correct. There are so many halfwits undertaking round the outside of the roundabout on the left, I can certainly understand the temptation to take the left lane to protect the lorry…and its occupant.

eagerbeaver:
Its always a bolloxed astra PMSL.

Either that or a council works van. It must be some sort of policy that there always has to be one sitting at a snack van :laughing:

ORC:
There seem to be loads of large roundabouts with unhelpful markings. For example, it starts with two lanes and tells you to get into the right hand lane, then out of nowhere a third lane appears by splitting the LEFT lane, and you’re supposed to then magic yourself across to what is now the middle lane…but you can’t because you’re now stranded in the right lane where they told you to go initially.

I am finding the right lane approach quite dangerous, albeit technically correct. There are so many halfwits undertaking round the outside of the roundabout on the left, I can certainly understand the temptation to take the left lane to protect the lorry…and its occupant.

Its a real problem on some islands. I tend to take a right turn on islands by staying as far to the left as is safely possible. Some of the undertaking moves Ive had put on me on islands have been nothing short of suicidal.

I do exactly the same as you Terry. Getting the load delivered safe and sound without damaging anyone/anything. Keep as far left as sensible/safe.

Theres so many knobs who change lanes suddenly,its unreal.

ORC:
I guess my problem is that I’m trying to learn the trade but I’m on my own out on the road, so the best way to learn is to watch how the professionals do it and copy them, right?

You do realise these ‘professionals’ your copying might have only passed their test themselves only a month ago? Never seen a truck with those silly green P plates yet lol :laughing:

ORC:

ditto :frowning: the big worry then is will the right (side) lane take me to the exit I want, albeit in the right (faster ) lane or will I need to change lane (if the traffic on my left will let me ) or do I go all the way round and try again ■■ usually the easiest /safest :slight_smile: as they said on soap " confused■■? you will be " :slight_smile:

The-Snowman:
(Im usually in an artic so surely I always have right of way anyway?) :laughing:

When I first started riding my motorbike my dad always told me ‘its not who has right of way, its who ends up in hospital’. So your reasoning here seems to fit nicely with my dads advice :wink:

Now for a sirious question. Sometimes I come to a roundabout when driving a 3.5 ton truck (van according to snowman :stuck_out_tongue: lol, it has a flatbed) and I don’t have a clue which lane I should be in. Sometimes in these cases I’ll take the outside lane, do a full loop of the roundabout, then, having learnt what it looks like and my exit make a planned exit. Is it not possible to do this in an LGV? I had always thought the highway code allowed you to go round a roundabout up to 3 times before you must exit.

I have also used this method to jump a quew without cutting anyone up or taking their right of way. No one seems to notice and they even seem to thank me when I let a few out before rejoining the quew half a mile ahead of where I started. Why do I feel like I’m the only one doing this? Am I being :smiling_imp: doing this?