RHA vs the home office

Taken from bbc.co.uk/news/business-57782920.amp
"
The industry is pushing for drivers to be added to the so-called Shortage Occupations list, allowing them to qualify for a skilled worker visa.

“We need long-term solutions to recruit a new generation of British lorry drivers into the trade, but short-term there is an urgent need for foreign drivers to be allowed in, under the Shortage Occupations list,” said Rod McKenzie, managing director of policy at the Road Haulage Association (RHA).

The government wants the industry to employ British hauliers.

But the industry said that it was impractical in the short term because of the immediacy of the need and the training costs involved.
"

Didn’t take very long to stop talking about improving pay and conditions if you can’t hire drivers. Let’s just revert back to importing foreign labour, for the short term…honest… then we will crack on and address the issues.

Which translates roughly to “We, the RHA will do our utmost to protect our customers and defend their insatiable drive for cheap labour and while we’re at it… sod the drivers, they’re not our concern”.

Hate to say i told you so, RHA and others putting Johnsons misfit crew under pressure to allow in bassets allsorts was always going to be their game plan.

Given Johnson’s rubber band backbone suggest getting any pay rises negotiated sharpish during this short window of time before the flood gates reopen and the race to the bottom resumes.

The time has come to make it very clear to the RHA and HMG that if the RHA’s wishes for cheap foreign labour are seriously considered by HMG then there will be random 48 hr stikes.

The word short term probably means open ended

cav551:
The time has come to make it very clear to the RHA and HMG that if the RHA’s wishes for cheap foreign labour are seriously considered by HMG then there will be random 48 hr stikes.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Best of luck with that one trying to get drivers today to stick together to stand up for them selves.
10 to 15% would not have the desired effect I’m afraid.

Biggest positive I have heard so far, is the fact the home office is flatly refusing to cooperate with this nonsense. Border controls were a pretty big element of the whole Brexit jobbie after all.
Of course if they decided to import drivers it won’t just be Europeans this time I suppose :open_mouth:

robroy:

cav551:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Best of luck with that one trying to get drivers today to stick together to stand up for them selves.
10 to 15% would not have the desired effect I’m afraid.

Probably less than that too. I fail to understand why drivers feel that they do not need a union when you look around and see the state the industry is in, in terms of terrible pay, long hours, micro managed, cameras in trucks etc etc and just accepting that is how it is. There will be those who may have a decent job without a union and that of course is a fact, but with the majority not having that luxury and being treat like they are 10 a penny , it just surprises me. I doubt very much that it will make any difference if the RHA can get a drivers position to be classed as skilled and put on the essential workers list, why would an EE worker want to return here when their own economy is picking up. Next wave they will try for is Africa. No driver shortage for good terms and conditions and pay structure, only amongst the lower end of the scale.

the maoster:
Which translates roughly to “We, the RHA will do our utmost to protect our customers and defend their insatiable drive for cheap labour and while we’re at it… sod the drivers, they’re not our concern”.

Of course moaster, twas ever thus. It’s why I keep saying “enjoy the short-lived wage increases while they last” as the masses get all excited in anticipation of earning the big bucks. Nope! Back to £10 per hour for you, take it or leave it, as Rashvinder and his pals from Bengaluru will happily do it for that money and even less.

The thing is though there’s a shortage over in the EU and wages have gone up over there too. Who in their right mind is going to come to the UK to drive on our roads and put up with the crap you have to in the UK as a lorry driver where for the same money or not much less they get much better working conditions, especially when you think about all the costs involved and the current issues around travelling back home to see family because of covid travel restrictions.

I think they’ll get a shock if they do do this short term visa and you won’t get more than a handful at most.

Conor:
The thing is though there’s a shortage over in the EU and wages have gone up over there too. Who in their right mind is going to come to the UK to drive on our roads and put up with the crap you have to in the UK as a lorry driver where for the same money or not much less they get much better working conditions?

Yep.
Wages in Poland have doubled in the past ten years.
EU workers coming here will be tied to a sponsoring employer. They won’t have automatic rights to live here etc or change jobs. They’ll likely be on temp contracts.
The steady and reliable ones might well choose to go to another more welcoming country.

The UK is a hostile environment nowadays. Why would choose to stick yourself on an island and be hated for it? Where cost of living is higher than in most other countries and wages dont match it.

As has been said before, rates have risen in other counties too and their costs of living are much less. I too think that not too many would be willing or have a desire to come back on a “short term” basis.

Don’t forget IR35 would play a fairly sizeable role in this too.

Conor:
The thing is though there’s a shortage over in the EU and wages have gone up over there too. Who in their right mind is going to come to the UK to drive on our roads and put up with the crap you have to in the UK as a lorry driver where for the same money or not much less they get much better working conditions, especially when you think about all the costs involved and the current issues around travelling back home to see family because of covid travel restrictions.

I think they’ll get a shock if they do do this short term visa and you won’t get more than a handful at most.

Forget EU and eastern Europe. that’s been done and worked for the past 20 years.
Now what happens if the skill shortage visa starts for truck drivers.
Eddie stobarts hires a recruitment agency in the Philippines and advertises jobs in the UK for 8 pound a hour plus overtime with accommodation provided on site in portocabins.
There will be millions of applications.
These lads in Philippines are only on 10 quid a day.
Philipenos and Indians go and work in the middle East for peanuts like 2 or 3 pound a hour.

Themoocher:

Conor:

Forget EU and eastern Europe. that’s been done and worked for the past 20 years.
Eddie stobarts hires a recruitment agency in the Philippines and advertises jobs in the UK for 8 pound a hour plus overtime with accommodation provided on site in portocabins.
Philipenos and Indians go and work in the middle East for peanuts like 2 or 3 pound a hour.

The only possible saving factor is if the UK government stick to a minimum salary for immigration requirements on the skills shortage lists.

Themoocher:

Themoocher:

Conor:

The only possible saving factor is if the UK government stick to a minimum salary for immigration requirements on the skills shortage lists.

£26,500 currently I think?

Franglais:

Themoocher:

Themoocher:

Conor:

£26,500 currently I think?

Yeah that’s for a basic 40 hours a week.
which is nearly 13 pound an hour.
By the time haulers pay for the visa and immigration lawyers fees with the risks of hiring a foreigner it’s probs not worth the risk.

Themoocher:

Conor:

I think you are on the right lines with this , moocher. Throw in accom as well and you can do all sorts of trickery with the numbers to make it too attractive to the Filipinos to pass up whilst flouting the NMW rules. I wonder if we’ll see this first in the farming sector as many of those operations provide you with a caravan to live in on site.

Part of the visa criteria is a salaried job from a sponsor. This doesn’t quite fit with the manure being posted above.^^^^

Themoocher:

Got to pass UK driving tests, not just one but three at a time where test capacity can’t even meet native demand.