Reversing Stress

Hello folkies, passed my Class 1 just before christmas :smiley: learning in a flat bed rigid with trailer. My first job through an agency was with a tractor unit and 50’ boxed trailer. Which started out a fair bit nervous with a few sticky moments, but i quickly eased into it, travelling from Samworth Brothers in Leicester to Tesco’s DCs’ in Doncaster.

It was when I got to Tesco’s then the problems started. Driving forward was no problem, just gives things a slightly wider berth than the rigid and trailer :stuck_out_tongue: but reversing onto a bay■■? Well I can only describe it a shocking performance!!! :cry: … To make matters worse there was nothing for three bay’s either side of me and bags of room infront. I eventually did it, :wink: but it was messy (to be honest, I actually did it after about 3 or 4 shunts…but when checking the rear, the passenger side was touching .but the drivers was about 6" away so deciding to straighten it, which took another 6 or 7 shunts…other drivers were just staring and wondering…“Embrassing”…)

Since then i’ve done about four more class 1 shifts of the same natured work, and each time the same problem. :imp: Have to get the old boy’s to guide us in.
I simply cannot mentally work out the correct angle or intial postion to reverse it in, how much steering lock to use, actually keep the vehicle straight and not snaking all over the place…which gets worse when the box unit suddenly blocks out the view of either wing mirror ( driverside isn’t so bad, but passenger…ur’e stuffed) and i try to straight it, to regain viewage. I’m at a total loss
Now even before leaving my front door paranoia sets in, about the fact I’m going to have to reverse
:open_mouth: and look an idiot, holding up everyone else…

I SIMPLY DON’T KNOW HOW TO REVERSE THESE ■■■■ THINGS!!!

:angry:

Please has anybody got any tips on how to reserve these things up to a loading bay…and just general reversing■■?

I do not want to get caught out one day on a conjested road…holding up traffic and have to reverse for whatever reason…

One is at the present, seriously tempted to go back to Class2…be happy I’ve got my Class1 now…and use it when and if needed…a nice small Class2 truck suits me fine…but I know…got to keep trying…it’s only a matter of experience…and everyone else said they had the same problem

Which remind me to say to everyone at Samworths and all the other drivers I’ve meet at the various DC’s, a great many thanks for your words :slight_smile:

Welcome to trucknet SuperSmiley :wink: :laughing:

Firstly take a deep breath, it’s ok and it’s perfectly normal to be feeling the way you are right now.
There is a valid argument against people training in a wagon and drag because of this very situation.

When you are aproaching a bay on your right position the wagon approx 6’ from the trailers to allow for swing then when the cab is two bays past the one you want steer hard left until the unit is facing 90 degrees, keep going for a few feet then swing to the right until the unit is facing your original direction and stop when all your tyres are in line. Lean out of your window and the back of the trailer should be lined up nicely, engage reverse and push her back SLOWLY, :wink: watch where she is going then turn the wheel a quarter rotation at a time, more if needed but don’t go mad (the less you put on the less you need to take off). As she comes round start bringing your unit back in line and you shouldn’t be far off.
You hold the wheel of an artic at the front but you are steering the back you will soon get used to the backend being your priority.

This is only one reverse, they are all different but this one is a common one and remember if your trailer is in your mirror and you don’t want it there then steer at it. With practice you will be able to predict where your trailer is going to go and how the overhang will behave. Try to reverse on your side, reversing to the left is called blindside and for good reason as you have discovered. Make best use of the space available and always follow the golden rule of GOAL, (Get Out And Look). If there is someone available then ASK for help you will look less of a [zb] with someone watching you back than you will if you wipe out the contents of the yard. :laughing:

It does get easier though you may find that hard to believe and you are already showing signs of being a great artic driver by coming here and asking for advice. Don’t quit now you have done the hard bit by getting your licence.
The learning thing never stops but it does get easier. :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

Hello and welcome SuperSmiley,

Like Ladytruker said, it’s normal to be ‘uncomfy’ about manoeuvring until you’ve had do it a few times.

Believe it or not, most people find an artic easier to reverse than a wagon & drag; a ‘longer trailer - shorter prime mover’ combination is more forgiving.

There are a few key tips that we use with our driver training students the first of which is try to understand the ‘theory of reversing’ i.e. think why you steer the opposite way to what you want to go when you first start the manoeuvre. Hopefully your instructor took you through this process and you know why you do as opposed to ‘doing because he said’ but never actually understanding the reasons why or theory behind it.

Try to get odd bits of practise (in the yard) of just reversing the combination in a straight line; key points your looking for are the ‘rule of thirds’ in your mirrors (i.e. each mirror is a ‘picture’ of the view behind you and should be made up from inner third - side of the vehicle, middle third - area immediately behind the vehicle, outer third - the remainder of the area behind). Aim to maintain a balanced picture in both mirrors and notice how each movement of the steering wheel affects those ‘pictures’.

A golden rule - Drive slow, steer quick! And if you’re not sure of your vehicle positioning, unlike on your test where you couldn’t, you can now GOAL! (Get Out And Look).

Always try to avoid blind-side reverse situations. If you end up a bit skewiff (sp??) on a bay and the drivers-side mirror is not helping you, it’s probably better to pull forward on a slight angle so you can see the bay from your window.

Don’t become too focused on watching your trailer at the expense keeping an eye on the bay you’re aiming for. Look at where you do want to go and not where you don’t! The human eye-brain-action process has a few weak links in the chain; if you keep looking at the guide rails (for the bay) thinking “I must avoid them!” invariably you will end up touching them. Keep your mind/eye on the actual bay (i.e. the dock leveller plate) where you do want to go. We have a (subconscious) habit of going where our eyes are looking, irrespective of what our brain might be telling us! (I think that’s how I ended up married!! LOL)

There are quite a few more ‘tips & tricks’ but it’s better you get to grips with the basics first. Keep posting and let us know how it is going and if you need anymore advice.

Unfortunately, your situation sounds to me that you are a classic example (victim) of the train of thought of many driving schools that they ‘teach you to pass the test’ (which is, to a point, understandable) but with no thought of teaching you any ‘real world’ driving. Hence, day one for most newbie’s is a shock that near puts some of them off for life!! Stick with it Smiley - it gets better!! :wink:

Hi mate,

Well it looks like your having the same problems that everyone comes across when they first start (even if they dont admit it :unamused: )

I suffered the same problem when i started and know exactly what you mean. One thing i used to do when i first started was if i got told to go on a bay and there was another truck on the bay next to it. I would jump out and go and have a word with the guy, something along the lines of “excuse me mate, sorry to bother you but this is my first day out and would you mind just eeping an eye on me getting in since i dont want to take your mirrors off” 9/10 times they will help you.(you can use this excuse every day they dont know) Also make it clear that you dont want help just them to keep an eye on their own ruck!! it usually sways the situation. :sunglasses: :open_mouth:

Also to break the stress if you are aware of someone watching you etc. Try and make a “joke” out of it… i used to say “You should be paying to watch something as funny as that” :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the actual reversing its all about preperation. Watch other trucks and the angles they take. look for black lines on tarmac etc to indicate previous lines used(not very good in this weather)

Get well forward and get a decent angle on the trailer the way you want it too bend. And the last one i use and still do to this day sometimes just as a sanity check. Which ever way the BOTTOM of the steering wheel is going that is the way the trailer is going to go (TRY IT)

And the last thing is just dont be afraid of it… we all went through it and it will come. Ive only been on class 1’s full time just over a year and now deliver to some of the smallest,difficult shop yards that im sure there is.

all the best.

dont worry about it mate. i passed my test 8 years ago but i only started driving artics in may last year for the same reason that you want to go back to rigids. lack of confidence!
its now january and occasionally, i get it spot on both normal or blind side but normal circumstances dictate i need a shunt. i just cant get the trailer between the lines/on a bay without the back end sticking out a bit so i need a shunt to straighten up. dont worry about it. it will come with practice and so will the confidence. dont make the mistake that i made though. dont give up. keep at it and 6 months from now, you will be all over the place when you are driving a rigid :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the best way for you to learn to reverse in the real world.

make sure its on your good side and not blind side

when passing bay go to left across the yard on angle simular to the standard reverse test manouver to wher the b pole should be(imagination) the bay then becomes the garage on the reverse and use same method as on test.

as you become more experienced the panny will drop

i,ve shied away from it for so long that i,ve actually got to train again!
One thing i remember though is that when your reversing back straight, you’re
checking the mirrors, and if the trailer starts to “fill” the right mirror, you steer to
the right, same with the left, i couldn’t get it to go exactly in a straight line without
having to make slight correctional steering either to the right, or the left as you
checked both your mirrors.

Which begs the question, how do you reverse em between two other trailers
when they’re parked so close together, you couldn’t slip a ■■■ paper between
em?

sidan:
Which begs the question, how do you reverse em between two other trailers
when they’re parked so close together, you couldn’t slip a ■■■ paper between
em?

our trailers can be close together so the way i do it is as follows:
get lined up so that you are straight and check the room on the nearside. then simply pop your head out the window and back in slowly all the while watching the rear corner of the trailer. correct any movement immediately but not too much and it should go in. the occasional glance in the other mirror is advised but you should be ok unless the trailer decides to go that way. as long as you lined up correctly, you should only need to worry about the offside which is on purpose since you can see down it anyway :wink:

Hi SuperSmiley,

First off welcome to trucknet mate. :exclamation: :exclamation: Now then reading your post takes me back sixteen months to when i passed my class 1, and like you i passed in a wagon and drag then landed a full time job driving a Daf 95 xf ssc complete with double deck trailer. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I was running nights to the pallet hub in coalville.

The first night i got to the depot and the manager (a top bloke) showed me round the truck,told me if there were any problems to phone him no matter what time it was and then left me to it. So off i went and was pleasantly surprised at how well things were going,i got to the hub and went through the scanner joined the long queue of trucks waiting to unload…then it was my turn…it cant be that hard…or so i thought. I got sort of lined up to reverse but when i started to reverse i went blank and the trailer started going the wrong way (bear in mind directly opposite the bays there are about 30 trucks all lined up and watching you).

Anyhow another driver put it on the bay for me and plenty more offered loads of advice but to be honest i felt like leaving the ■■■■ truck and walking home (all 200 miles)…but it did get easier after about a month or so i could often get on the bay first time :smiley: :smiley: .

I also know how you feel when you say about other drivers staring and wondering, cos at first they dont know youre new to the game and you feel like a complete pratt waddling all over the place :unamused: :unamused: …i just used to tell them that if they want a laugh i’d be doing my reverse in a moment and i seemed to make loads of mates with all of em telling me of their first times out and the disasters they had :laughing: :laughing:

After about four months the firm closed the depot i was running out of and due to the distance to head office it wouldnt have been viable to run there so i was made redundant…(and just as i was starting to get used to it… :cry: :cry: )…iv’e been on class 2 since then but was laid off just before christmas and i’m now looking for class1 work again but feel i’ll be starting all over again and i’m dreading the reverse once more…but knowing it gets easier will help :confused: :confused:

I also posted on here when i was struggling and the advice the guys and girls give is spot on.

Keep on and it will get easier and remember to keep us informed.

P.S. I’ll probably be asking you for tips in a couple of weeks if i get back on class 1… :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

SCAN

one thing you should remember is that sods law will apply whenever another trucker is around. when you are on your own, you will get it spot on but no one will see it but as soon as others are around, you will make a mess of it :laughing:
this applies to ALL drivers, not just new ones. i have talked to guys who have been on artics for years and they still make mistakes so dont worry about it. take your time and be careful :wink:

Reversing ?

Best bit of advice I can give is don’t worry about it… I assure you no one gives a dam, just don’t hit anything and take as many shunts as you like.

If you want to practise do so, maybe at an MSA, tuck it in from all angles and eventually the penny will drop. Careful with the mirrors though, they might not ring true, the trailer might seem perfectly straight till you get out and look down the line, so you might need to compensate a little.

You’ll get there… if not do what I do, “if you can get it in there mate feel free” :laughing:

I keep scratching my head how…British HGV drivers get such a bad image■■?..(well we all know why…but still!!!)…when there are great people out there like u guy’s…ooops…and Ladies…had this been on a legal begals forum…the 50 quid bill for advice, would be dropping through the letter box already…anyhow…wonderful advice and support :smiley: from all…which I’ll take onboard next time I’m out…

Been talking to the agency guy’s today…and we’re thinking about sending me to a company to do some shunting…alongside the main shunter…to get the pratice in…but working to oneside…with no pressure…on voluntary terms… :bulb:…which I’ve seriously thought about before and don’t mind…prefer to lose a day or two’s wages…than rapidly age through the stress : :open_mouth:…either which way I’ll keep you guy’s updated…

Love the site…was up til 6 this morning…learning and amusing myself with some of the stuff :smiley:

Hi guys!!

just been reading the thread in preparation for when i do my artic training later this year and gotta say, your advice is top!! :laughing: :wink:

My step-dad is a low-loader driver and he told me that every driver always gets uber nervous when it comes to manouvering in the first few days, weeks, months, etc, but it comes in the end and that you should never let anyone rush you. :laughing: :sunglasses:

Say Steve_24…what is an MSA…please■■? :confused:

SuperSmiley:
…what is an MSA…please■■? :confused:

Motorway Service Area :slight_smile:

Take heed of all the above advice it’s good stuff. Like you I passed on a waggon and drag, though not a flatbed, and found reversing an artic a bit of a mystery. The mystery being where it was going to finish up. My problem was oversteering, well, one of them was. It takes a lot longer to get used to it than you expect but it comes with practice and patience. My other fault was not using the space available. Which went against my training cause they always told me to use all the space available, but me being a smartarse didn’t think I needed it.

Believe me when I started i was the same as you ,paseed in a wagon +drag,I did’nt have a clue,It will take time to get the hang of it.
Always reverse in from your good side never blindside unless you cant avoid it,give yourself plenty of space,always pull further forward than you need to to start the manouvre.when you get the back of the trailer sort of right remember that the front does’nt need as much steer to correct to the back of the trailer.

I always look out of the window mostly,checking the mirrors occasionally,slowly but surely is the key,you’ll get there in the end :wink: :wink:

scanny77:
you will be all over the place when you are driving a rigid :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

If I have to jump into a rigid after being in an artic for a while, guarenteed I start reversing and steer the wrong way!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Super Smiley.

Advice,

1. Calm down a bit, the more stressed you get the more the reversing goes to pieces. I mean needing 6-7 shunts.
    One of my first reverses took 20 plus shunts :blush: :laughing: to get into the loading bay. And today after driving Artics for 12 years I had to park it between to trailers and it took me ages because the reverse was tight and with a race trailer damage is not an option, so better to go round have a look and take the extra shunt.

2. You’re not going to see a lot in the passenger mirror once the truck turns. Don’t worry line yourself up on the drivers side and got that right, if you think you are close on the passenger side get out have a look. Better than hitting something.

3. Try and be gentle with the movements, loads of steering from side to side ends up making it worse.

4. Try and look for a line to guide the trailer wheels, this is why sometimes it’s easier to reverse in a tight spot, there are more reference points.

5. You will get better, it just takes practice and most of us had similar problems, so we do understand. :wink:

SuperSmiley:
I keep scratching my head how…British HGV drivers get such a bad image■■?..(well we all know why…but still!!!)…when there are great people out there like u guy’s…ooops…and Ladies…had this been on a legal begals forum…the 50 quid bill for advice, would be dropping through the letter box already…anyhow…wonderful advice and support :smiley: from all…which I’ll take onboard next time I’m out…

That’s whats this forums here for, help, advice and encouragement. :smiley:

SuperSmiley:
Been talking to the agency guy’s today…and we’re thinking about sending me to a company to do some shunting…alongside the main shunter…to get the pratice in…but working to oneside…with no pressure…on voluntary terms… :bulb:…which I’ve seriously thought about before and don’t mind…prefer to lose a day or two’s wages…than rapidly age through the stress : :open_mouth:…either which way I’ll keep you guy’s updated…

I was going to suggest finding somewhere to practice and this seems a good way, :wink: with somebody there to give you advice. Okay you don’t get paid, but you’re not paying for the extra training. :smiley: