Reversing Stress

muckles:

SuperSmiley:
Been talking to the agency guy’s today…and we’re thinking about sending me to a company to do some shunting…alongside the main shunter…to get the pratice in…but working to oneside…with no pressure…on voluntary terms… :bulb:…which I’ve seriously thought about before and don’t mind…prefer to lose a day or two’s wages…than rapidly age through the stress : :open_mouth:…either which way I’ll keep you guy’s updated…

I was going to suggest finding somewhere to practice and this seems a good way, :wink: with somebody there to give you advice. Okay you don’t get paid, but you’re not paying for the extra training. :smiley:

…and before you know it, you’ll be one of those ‘shunter-gits’ who parks the trailers so close together, us mere mortals struggle to get in to pick 'em up!! :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

as muckles has posted relax no one is perfect and you will improve as time goes by ,and those ignorant drivers who,ricidule you are just doing so because they are no better, I have days where it all goes okay and then days where it is total crap,

Rember… ROME was not built in a DAY;

I had the opposite - passed in an artic and my first class 1 agency job was wagon and drag :open_mouth:

I was hopeless even with an artic but used to tell the others at the hub that I was the cabaret. I found that by warning them first they lost interest :smiley:

All the advice above is sound - take your time and use all the available space you need. It does get easier, but then sometimes you amaze yourself how easily it goes first time, and other times you can’t believe that you missed the bay by half a car park :exclamation: Last night I had two shunts getting next to a parked truck with about 100 yds in front to use. Probably should have gone in blindside from the other side of the yard - straight is just too hard!

And don’t foget - “Only a pratt doesn’t shunt” - something like that my instructor told me :laughing:

Super smiley you made me smile :wink: Dont let anyone tell you otherwise… we were all the same when we first started. the basic rules I was taught were …

1. Slowly does it
  2. you have a tongue in your head. Get out and ask someone to watch you in if you are worried. Contrary to common belief most people would prefer you asked than to watch you make a mess.
  3. Get out and look if you are not sure, better 2 minutes having a look than someones mirrors off.
    When I passed my test, him indoors, with 20 years experience said to me " I dont care if you take 40 shunts but dont ever let anyone do it for you. you will never learn that way"
    Suddenly after a few months of sweat and tears one day it clicked. dont get me wrong there are still days when i would not get the trailer straight if I sat there all day :laughing: But I am now old and ugly enough not to care. trust me it happens to the best of em :wink:
    Keep at it. You will get there :sunglasses:

How do you tell the difference between a newbie and an experienced driver?

The newbie gets upset and worries when he takes 27 shunts to get on an easy bay. After he’s done, he hides.

The experienced driver stops after 23, has a ■■■, then another 14 shunts, then gets out and takes a bow. :wink:

In other words, everyone [zb]s up, only the reaction varies. The experienced driver has simply ceased to care. :stuck_out_tongue:

Been reading this thread with great interest - I’m still going through the learning process myself, having passed the test in October and, like you, I’ve had my fair share of dreadful reverses. The really good ones have all come when no-one was there to see them, and the worst always in front of an audience :laughing:

There are two things I’ve found:

1. Other drivers have been unfailingly supportive and helpful. Almost without exception they will tell you that they still ■■■■ it up sometimes (mind you, I haven’t seen any of them do it yet :smiley:)

2. I did a week before Christmas delivering to RDCs with a 44’ fridge, backing onto bays, parking up every night, the works. Only once in the week, out of 30-odd reverses, did I get it in a bay in one. The rest of the time, I was all over the shop, and occasionally shunting like a loony to get it in, - I was quite glad to finish the week and go home BUT after 10 days off I got back in an artic this week, and I’m better at it - not good yet by a long chalk, but something seems to have stuck in my subconscious - so I guess what I’m saying is stick at it and it’ll come :wink:

thats how it works spitfire, all do it first when theres an audience learn to ignore them and dont look at em,just get on with the reverse

Well, I’ll typically take 10 shunts to get on a bay, and yes, even when there’s loads of room. And I’m definitely better than I was :blush:

If you can afford it, have you thought of going to a local HGV training school and doing a day’s worth of training doing just reversing?

hello and welcome super smiley :laughing: :laughing:
and i thought it was just me :open_mouth: :blush: :blush:
i passed my artic nearly 2 years ago but ive only been
driving them since september
im getting the hang of it now but at first reversing was
a total mistery i was always messing it up then one
day i did it. igot on a bay first time no shunts :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
it did wonders for my confidence im now doing quite well
but it takes time m8
you will find most drivers will watch you back and help with
advice ect so dont be afraid to ask :wink:
STICK AT IT M8 time and practice is all you need

MrFlibble:
If you can afford it, have you thought of going to a local HGV training school and doing a day’s worth of training doing just reversing?

If you do follow this idea (although I think it’s not worth it; learn on-the-job at ‘their’ expense, like we all did!!) ask them for some ‘real-world’ training and not just on their manoeuvring area! Get them to have you reversing around corners (i.e. quiet ind est) and onto ‘bays’ etc.

SuperSmiley:
Been talking to the agency guy’s today…and we’re thinking about sending me to a company to do some shunting…alongside the main shunter…to get the pratice in…but working to oneside…with no pressure…on voluntary terms… :bulb:…which I’ve seriously thought about before and don’t mind…prefer to lose a day or two’s wages…than rapidly age through the stress : :open_mouth:…either which way I’ll keep you guy’s updated…

I think He’s onto a bit of real world reversing and won’t have to pay for the training. :wink:

MrFlibble:
Well, I’ll typically take 10 shunts to get on a bay, and yes, even when there’s loads of room. And I’m definitely better than I was :blush:

Flash git :laughing: Only 10 shunts :laughing:

I also used to offer other drivers lessons in zig-zag reversing and how to get another left-right swing in before the back wall. So long as you don’t actually hit anything or block the whole place up for an hour most other drivers don’t really care how you do. Most will also give you help or advice particularly if it is a difficult yard.

I’m better now but still not good - but when I watch others some old-timers are no better than me. Above all don’t worry about it - what’s the worst that can happen?? OK don’t answer that, but if you go slow you can’t do much harm :laughing: