Reversing onto a bay first time

Hi all, as in my other post I’ve got an assessment tomorrow and I’m just after any tips for sticking the trailer on the bay.

It’s at ASDA and it’s the frozen depot. As this is my first shot at putting it on a bay I’ve got a couple of questions.

Should I reverse it up and they’ll open the rear doors once its in place so not to let the cold out? Or will I need to open them just before?

Do I just reverse up and once it’s straight keep it steady and slow until the trailer makes contact and then pull it slightly forward or just leave it as close as it’ll allow?

Obviously hoping to get this right and start actually driving instead of sitting in bloody office.

Cheers

Hi mate, it’s different for different vehicles, trailers and loading bays.

If your doors open outwards, then the chances are you’ll have to open them before going on the bay (most refers are this type - and will be a little tight)

Getting onto a bay, some will require you to drop your suspension, some won’t, some will require you to pull forward 2 or 3cm, but most won’t.

Don’t panic, as I said, they’re all different and you learn as you go along, you’re never going to magically know everything, sometimes you’ve just got to wing it.

Ask the assessor how they would like it done

I would open barn doors first but leave a shutter door down and pull forward so the Back of the trailer doesn’t rub on the deck as it is tipped/loaded.

Thanks.

When you say drop the suspension, is that unit or both? I haven’t adjusted suspension on a trailer yet.

Will be good if I can pass this assessment, then the real learning can begin.

He means the trailer, the leaver will be at the rear, pull it and twist to raise or lower, you usually can poke your head past the bay black flaps to see if the back is at the same hight as the dock, don’t worry if it’s only a little out as the dock goes up and down usually, if it’s miles out just twist the leaver till it’s closer. When finished just pull the leaver out and it will go to normal level

Also, once you’ve dropped the suspension, the trailer will have moved forward a bit by about 3-4 inches so get back in the cab and let off the park brake allowing it to gently roll back onto the bump stops.

i try and come back square into bay -to the rubber buffers-then move foward 2 feet -then lower/raise suspension-then drive back again.

As an ex ASDA chill driver…

If it’s a new trailer it will have barn doors, if it’s an ‘older’ trailer (Chances are the new trailer will be plain white) it will be a roller door.

Never have I opened a roller door, only barn doors.

You probably won’t be able to get on the bay first go without a shunt. ASDA insist on these bloody banana things so you’ve got inches either side of your trailer wheels. Only a handful of times have I made it first time.

There is nothing fancy they look for, just slow and steady and all I can say is put the brake on as soon as you feel it tap the bay and asuming it’s within the bananas, it will match up with the yellow markings on the bay door protector.

It’s only for a green card bit of plastic, just don’t drive like a numpty and you’ll get it.

Good luck!

As a current ASDA chilled driver,I`d line up pn the bay and then get out and open the barn doors!

Bring back roller doors-at least you don`t have to get out of the cab to open them!

And try not to make the usual mistake-drive onto the bay with barn doors and forget to open them…not that I`ve done that… :blush:

and change the bay light from green to red yourself or youll sit there for hours wondering why everyone but you are being tipped :blush: :blush: :blush:

joemaxi:
As a current ASDA chilled driver,I`d line up pn the bay and then get out and open the barn doors!

Bring back roller doors-at least you don`t have to get out of the cab to open them!

And try not to make the usual mistake-drive onto the bay with barn doors and forget to open them…not that I`ve done that… :blush:

are you actuallybeing made to do some work now?
or is it cause the barn doors are too high for you so you need a step ladder to undo the door

Barn doors.

When opening these is it just a case of unclipping the lever/s and moving them as far as they’ll go and the door should be freed? Also how do you secure it once it’s opened?

Sorry for all the questions but until I get a job I haven’t got anywhere else to turn for advice!

Cheers.

Yes. You’ll maybe find they’re a pig to open the doors as there is a vacuum effect due to the air shrinking as it cools inside the trailer and you may find you also need to open the left door to “prise” the right door open (the right door is always the first to open and last to close on ALL trailers) . There are two ways to hold the door open. The first is a little T shaped bit of metal or rubber on the door near the handle that clips into a catch on the side of the trailer. The second is a spring loaded L shaped metal rod under the edge of the trailer on the side which you pull out and twist round to hold the door in place.

By heck, I’d forgotten what it was like to be this green. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Good on you for having the common sense unlike many to ask questions. Better to ask a lot of questions and get the job right than to keep your mouth shut and look a right ■■■.

I’ll rephrase that last one, how do you undo the clips the levers are held in by?

And I’ve read before the offside doors open first?

Scrap that, I just got the last post.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think my only other question is how do you undo the levers from the clips to open the doors and also how the levers clip back in?

MrMartyn1984:

I think my only other question is how do you undo the levers from the clips to open the doors and also how the levers clip back in?

Don’t worry about it Martyn - it will be obvious when you look at it.

Also take no notice of all this raising and lowering suspension advice. If they want it up or down they will ask. When you back on a bay you must pull forward an inch so that the buffers at the back dont get ripped off by the trailer bouncing up and down as the trucks go in and out.

Remember it’s better to take more shunts than to hit another trailer (unless you are working for Nightfreight)

Always check the fridge before you leave after being loaded. Diesel in the tank? Temperature? If you aren’t familiar with the controls then ask.

MrMartyn1984:

Don’t worry about it Martyn - it will be obvious when you look at it.

Also take no notice of all this raising and lowering suspension advice. If they want it up or down they will ask. When you back on a bay you must pull forward an inch so that the buffers at the back dont get ripped off by the trailer bouncing up and down as the trucks go in and out.

Remember it’s better to take more shunts than to hit another trailer (unless you are working for Nightfreight)

Always check the fridge before you leave after being loaded. Diesel in the tank? Temperature? If you aren’t familiar with the controls then ask.

Gutted :frowning:

Took too many shunts so got turned away :frowning:

Explained to bloke I was new, he said looked like I was doing ok but just need some experience as they are strict for who they take on. That’s what I keep being told (get some experience) but no one is willing to give me a chance to get any.

Wouldnt care, I was only about 2 inches away from getting it in early but had to take a shunt and then it went ■■■■ up so had to take another one to get it in :frowning: