Reversing onto a bay first time

Dont give up try knocking on Fowler Welchs door they might be able to put some work your way, if theres no jobs going ask which agency they use I’m sure its that one off the old Monkton cokeworks ind estate?

MrMartyn1984:
Gutted :frowning:

Took too many shunts so got turned away :frowning:

Explained to bloke I was new, he said looked like I was doing ok but just need some experience as they are strict for who they take on. That’s what I keep being told (get some experience) but no one is willing to give me a chance to get any.

Wouldnt care, I was only about 2 inches away from getting it in early but had to take a shunt and then it went ■■■■ up so had to take another one to get it in :frowning:

That is ■■■■■■■■ mate, it doesn’t or shouldn’t matter how many shunts it takes, within reason, as long as you don’t damage a trailer, another unit or a loading bay, that is more important

problem is most of these assessors are jumped up knobheads and believe me asda has more than most, you would you were delivering gold the way they carry on. :imp:

Indeed. When I got a job at Stobbies as a shunter at a Tesco RDC, the two knobs who started with me couldn’t reverse for ■■■■ even using tugs. I was banging three trailers on bays to their every one and then having to go move theirs over half the time.

Both of them had been driving well over 20 years. One bloke said “I didn’t have to reverse onto bays when I was doing bulk tankers…”

So don’t feel bad that you took a few shunts to get it on. I’ve had bad days where I’ve done the same as have many of us.

thats really after ■■■■■■■ me off, mr martyn, to hell with asda, your attitude is too proffessional and too good for them, dont let that get you down, just some failed truck driver whos obivously sucked a bit of ■■■■ to get a cushy job as an asessor has decided hes the best thing since sliced bread, and gets the power to yay or nay new drivers. its no reflection on your skill or capability.

people forget all too quickly where it all began for themselves, we’re all human, i frequently have to back a 25 metre bdouble around corners and onto bays and down dark streets with inches to spare, and sometimes i pull it off like a pro, and sometimes it takes me half a frickin hour and 50 shunts to do it, so what? our job is pick up freight, secure it, deliver it to its destination damage free and on time, where possible (better late than in a ditch is my motto)

keep the chin up, fight on another day brother

for some reason I find a bay the hardest to reverse onto :confused:
I can reverse into a tight builders yard no problem i think its worrying about hitting another truck that makes it harder :laughing: I had to blindside onto a bay at greggs bakery somewhere because they took to many pallets off :imp: luckily a Owens driver was next in the queue and gave me a bit of guidance :smiley:

Thanks for all the comments. This forum is an excellent way to pick up your mood when you’ve been shot down.

Was well sick yesterday, especially for being so close and yet so far.

I certainly know I’ve got a lot of learning to do, it’s just someone giving me the chance and then I can start that real learning.

I hate my office job and can’t wait to get a break, office crap is all I’ve known so it feels that bit extra hard to get a break when people look at what I’ve done previously. At least I can come on here and fire questions at you experienced drivers, which helps me feel a little more confident.

Hopefully will get another shot somewhere soon.

As others have said, sometimes things just click and the trailer goes onto the bay no probs, really feels good when you do that blind side.

Then you get the other times, nobody even knows what causes it, but you just end up looking like a complete numpty pulling back and forward whilst scratching your head wondering what the ■■■■ the trailer’s playing at :laughing:

You’ve had 1 more go now than you had last week, that’s more experience mate, keep at it

As youve heard many times before on this thread, the only driver who has never struggled to get on a bay is the ■■■■ with the infereriority complex that was assessing you, he wants you to believe that he has all the experience in the world with never a mistake. The reality is that he’s the idiot that the company is uncomfortable with letting out in th real world so they give him a non driving job. Next time if you fluff it up (and we all do) ask him to show you how it’s done. :laughing:

Hell maybe that was a good idea. :open_mouth:

If you do a little sucking up to him he will give you a better score just because you inflate his ego. (maybe that will taste a bit sour) but if it gets you a job WTF. :smiley:

Gutted for you mate, but hey, i always think these things happen for a reason.

Bad luck mate, keep trying…

I find my reversing gets worse depending on how many people are watching.
Always ■■■■ it up with an audience, but no one sees me when its perfect

I seem to be OK reversing into a farmyard from a narrow lane blindside between tractors and bits of machinery whilst the dogs are trying to bite the tyres, and theres 6 inches of cowshit and mud,
but put me at an RDC with nice white lines painted on the floor for guidance with acres of free space and I’ll need 3 or 4 shunts to get it right.

I passed my C+E late last year and I was VERY lucky to land a job through a mate. After two months I changed companies. I do plenty of builders merchants so its almost always tight. I’m now in my 5th month and I went for an assessment drive with another company last monday. The drive went perfect until we got to the factory where I was to drop the empty curtain I had on and collect a loaded one to go back to the yard.

I had to reverse 90 degs between two trailers and I royally screwed it up. I was about an inch away from hitting one of them and after a couple of shuts I got it in just fine. The assessor didnt seems too happy but all I can put it down to was nerves. I had him, another driver and three FLT drivers stood watching me. Needless to say, I didnt get the job.

The ironic thing about this is, I pulled into Cambridge services on the A14 a few nights later and had a very similar reverse to do between two nearly new Volvos. I got it in on the first attempt.

Just keep plugging away and get yourself a sorted CV. Get the addressed of all the haulage companies in your area (yell.com)and send them a speculative cover letter asking for a job. Include a CV and you should get something. This was how I landed my second, and current employment. I posted out 35 letters and CV’s and I had 3 job offers and a further 4 wanting me to go for an interview. I know how hard it is trying to get a job but it will come soon.

Gloria.

waynedl:
Hi mate, it’s different for different vehicles, trailers and loading bays.

If your doors open outwards, then the chances are you’ll have to open them before going on the bay (most refers are this type - and will be a little tight)

Getting onto a bay, some will require you to drop your suspension, some won’t, some will require you to pull forward 2 or 3cm, but most won’t.

Don’t panic, as I said, they’re all different and you learn as you go along, you’re never going to magically know everything, sometimes you’ve just got to wing it.

Forget the tips, do it how you feel best, it’s you doing the driving and as for first time ? … thats not whats wanted by any driving examiner or company assesor, all they want is for you to do it safely and even if it takes 10 shunts do do it safely, just take your time.