Reversing on bays

had to take our new driver assesor with me today and he was quite happy with what i did and they way i drove other than when i reverse on a bay , no problem with the reversing but he said before you reverse onto bay with metal bars on either side you should always raise the trailer suspension up to stop the chance of the spray suspesion flaps getting caught between the bars and the tyres and ripping them and possibly the mudgaurds off.
does anyone do that in the real world, ive never seen it , i can see what hes saying and i must admit ive seen no end of mudgaurds chucked next to bays but as i said to him surely if you take your time and line it up properly you should be o.k,or is it best to do that :question:

What he says makes sense Ady, to a point. Like you, i’ve never ever seen it done, nor have i ever been instructed to do it.

I suppose he’s technically right…

…but in the real world no. But having said that i have ripped a mudguard off before on a loading bay guiderail so maybe the answer is there!

If ur 100% sure of ur reversing skills ur ok!

Like everything else in this job, take it slowly everytime and check and double check! There aint no prizes for flying in first time!

Surely,you’re only going to trap your mudflap if your wheel is going directly onto the guide bar?Which means you’re way off line!The mudflap is no wider than the wheel,so therefore providing your wheel is going alongside the guide there should be no problem.

bestbooties:
Surely,you’re only going to trap your mudflap if your wheel is going directly onto the guide bar?Which means you’re way off line!The mudflap is no wider than the wheel,so therefore providing your wheel is going alongside the guide there should be no problem.

theres loads of mud flaps out there wider than the wheel. the wheel arch is bigger than the wheel and the mud flaps are usually the same width as the arch.

dave:

bestbooties:

theres loads of mud flaps out there wider than the wheel. the wheel arch is bigger than the wheel and the mud flaps are usually the same width as the arch.

Beat me to it Dave…perhaps bestbooties ought to do a daily vehicle check once in a blue moon…If you failed to notice that then i wonder what condition your tyres or wheelnuts are in :open_mouth:

I think the ones that rip the mudguards off are the sliding chock type where you push the guide back with your rear wheel and it then automatically chocks the wheel.

Any kerb will rip a mudflap off if it gets trapped when reversing up to it, so I suppose the assessor has a point but.

IN THE REAL WORLD :wink:

And in the world of 4.0 metre loading bays in Europe where a mudflap is probably cheaper than a new roof

I am currently on my dinner hour whilst shunting. I have so far put 80 trailers on bays today. Thats a lot of walking for me if i had to raise / lower the trailer!

going slightly off the point here wheres the worst rdc bay you have had to reverse on?. somerfiled in lea green springs to mind, bloody great big bollards to reverse in between, had the good fortune not to hi them on the 4 occasions i went in there, but the had plenty of battle scars on them.

ady1:
but he said before you reverse onto bay with metal bars on either side you should always raise the trailer suspension up to stop the chance of the spray suspesion flaps getting caught between the bars and the tyres and ripping them and possibly the mudgaurds off.

Let me guess. Corby Chilled?

What they haven’t considered is that if it is an ‘un-bolstered’ dock, i.e. recessed with no surrounding seal, then there is a chance, with the suspension raised, of going back too far and smashing the lenses. :unamused:

I sent you a PM about a week ago, and the last time I looked, you hadn’t opened it. :wink:

At NFT depending on the trailer you are told to lower the suspension.

But thats because the dock is old and rubbish.

Reef:

dave:

bestbooties:

Beat me to it Dave…perhaps bestbooties ought to do a daily vehicle check once in a blue moon…If you failed to notice that then i wonder what condition your tyres or wheelnuts are in :open_mouth:

There’s a first time for everythimg I suppose,but I haven’t lost a mudflap yet,and my tyres and wheelnuts are very well thanks Reef.

Sockpuppet:
At NFT depending on the trailer you are told to lower the suspension.

But thats because the dock is old and rubbish.

:open_mouth:
Which as I was told, taught and therefore done.
When dropping a heavy trailer you should drop the air first. :wink:

just me then :blush:

Mike-C:
What he says makes sense Ady, to a point. Like you, i’ve never ever seen it done, nor have i ever been instructed to do it.

I agree with You,but lost last Week so a Rubber from Mudguard. :confused:
Some experianced Fitter fit it just with Plasticbands to keep the Mudguard alive :smiley:

bestbooties:
and my nuts are very well thanks Reef.

nah nah … made you look at your nuts … snigger snigger :laughing:

childish i know but what the hey :stuck_out_tongue:

montana man:
When dropping a heavy trailer you should drop the air first. :wink:

just me then :blush:

:confused: Id never thought of that, makes sense i suppose…nah Mike-C wouldnt have anything to take pics of then :wink: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:

Hey wirralpete thats where i was shunting when i may my post :smiley:

Can anyone tell me how i post a quote please? :unamused:

strange set up withthem bollards arent they mate?, went in there first time with a unit that was only 2 weeks old. needless to say i was over cautious when reversing :smiley:

LASHHGV:

click the button in the top right corner of the message you want to quote instead of the reply button at the bottom :wink: :sunglasses:

Denis F:

LASHHGV:

click the button in the top right corner of the message you want to quote instead of the reply button at the bottom :wink: :sunglasses:

THANK YOU :smiley: