Reversing nightmare

Hi
Been a member for 6 months and never put anything on the forum before but thought I would after having a bit of a uncomfortable experience reversing a artic in a yard.
Passed class 1 and 2 seven months ago and like the rest been looking for work. Signed up for an agency in January and work started off slow cause of the time of year but then it started picking up, 2 or 3 jobs a week (7.5t and class2) but over the last 2 weeks I eventually got the chance to start driving the artics.
First 2 artic jobs went great and enjoyed every minute of it but then on the 3rd job came the confidence destroyer. It was a 5pm start and it started well, hooked up to a trailer and did a local drop then came back to depot, spoke to transport manager and he wanted the trailer hooked on my unit in between these two trailers on forecourt, thought GREAT just what I want, blind side reverse with another trailer obstructing me, making angle of reverse a lot more severe than I would of liked and not giving me much swing into the gap between the two trailers. Well I had ago unassisted and the angle was wrong so I thought I’d ask for somebody to watch out for me which I did. After 4 attempts I got it in but by now I had a few spectators and there was this one block who was making me feel like a right fool with some of the comments he was saying.
After that episode I’ve felt low on confidence (reversing) and I’m dreading getting a call saying they have a class 1 job at the place where I had this incident. I feel the need for few hours reversing practice in a yard or somewhere just so i feel better in myself about reversing…

Does anyone know of any schools that would give reversing lesson in northwest and has anybody else had the same experience?

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your poor experiences, it’s silly things like someone acting the goat like that that can make it or break it for someone, some thrive with the pressure and others just crumble…i can be either it seems.

However, you should take a good note from the fact that if they do ask you back, then you obviously done a good enough job for them. We all start and learn somewhere so try not to let others get the better of you. Unfortunately I can’t help with the school but no doubt someone will be along soon who can.

Cheers sam for input
I know my ability and I probably expect to do everything perfect first time when really that’s not going to happen.
Experience counts for everything and that will come with the more jobs i do

I think we probably all expect a bit too much from ourselves on our first outings, but you need to take from it that you never hit anything, and I’d rather give it 20 minutes and 20 shunts later and make sure that I never hit anything, than have it in in a jiffy with a trailer of destruction behind you.

Also, don’t be disheartened if in fact they don’t get you back, that doesn’t mean you were useless.

i aggree totally with u sam better u take ur time no matter how long and do it without damage then ram it in
also ■■■■■■■■ that wouldnt help rather then stand there with mouths open giving comments in our yard if anyone see s u in any difficulty they alway s come to help and try and teach you if you ask rather then stand looking it wouldnt be tolerated
just keep going it will get easier and take as long as it takes

Just tell people “It’s taken me years of practice to make it look that difficult. I really have to work at it as it doesn’t come naturally” :slight_smile:

We all have bad days but keep going. It’s all good practice. Well done :slight_smile:

Sent from somewhere… Not sure where exactly but I’m probably only a bit lost :slight_smile:

GARYRANDALL:
Hi
Been a member for 6 months and never put anything on the forum before but thought I would after having a bit of a uncomfortable experience reversing a artic in a yard.
Passed class 1 and 2 seven months ago and like the rest been looking for work. Signed up for an agency in January and work started off slow cause of the time of year but then it started picking up, 2 or 3 jobs a week (7.5t and class2) but over the last 2 weeks I eventually got the chance to start driving the artics.
First 2 artic jobs went great and enjoyed every minute of it but then on the 3rd job came the confidence destroyer. It was a 5pm start and it started well, hooked up to a trailer and did a local drop then came back to depot, spoke to transport manager and he wanted the trailer hooked on my unit in between these two trailers on forecourt, thought GREAT just what I want, blind side reverse with another trailer obstructing me, making angle of reverse a lot more severe than I would of liked and not giving me much swing into the gap between the two trailers. Well I had ago unassisted and the angle was wrong so I thought I’d ask for somebody to watch out for me which I did. After 4 attempts I got it in but by now I had a few spectators and there was this one block who was making me feel like a right fool with some of the comments he was saying.
After that episode I’ve felt low on confidence (reversing) and I’m dreading getting a call saying they have a class 1 job at the place where I had this incident. I feel the need for few hours reversing practice in a yard or somewhere just so i feel better in myself about reversing…

Does anyone know of any schools that would give reversing lesson in northwest and has anybody else had the same experience?

Cheers

Karma will take care of that bellend with any luck! I think I can say with confidence that the vast majority of drivers are for more understanding than this git. Well done on getting it in without hitting anything. That’s all the boss wants really so job done!

This thread has made me laugh, I’ve yet to reverse an artic whilst working and all my fears are in the OP’s post, as far as I’m concerned if there’s no damage and you get the stuff offloaded it’s a good days work. So what if it takes 3 shunts or 30, it’ll get better with experience, you’ll have bad days and good days, the bad uns will become less frequent though. I sometimes still get it wrong reversing a rigid and have to take a shunt, the best one was a visiting drive that was shaking his head as he watched as I put mine on a bay, I stopped about 7ft short, but once I’d lowered the taillift… inch perfect :grimacing: .

Its hard when people are watching you ,i started my first Class C two weeks ago an never got to drive one, my boss has sent me out in a artic from day one , first with another driver for one day an then out on my own , thought great driving my first artic till i had to reverse into a tight space must have taken me ten shunts , in the end i was getting frustrated an yes i had another driver making comments , got back to the yard told the boss i cant reverse this thing ! he then sent me out into the yard with some cones told me to get some practice , i feel more confident now but i have found its no shame in asking someone to watch you back. I tell everyone im a new driver an there are some good drivers out there that are willing to help an give good advice rather then stupid comments :smiley:

Driven a few things with trailers and reversing is always interesting. Alas my brain works slower than most so by the time I have worked out the angles and the steering most have got impatient with me.

The other annoying thing I’ve had whilst reversing is that some tool has parked their car right at the side of an alley I am exiting with a truck and trailer meaning I have GOT to go the other way… For that one I ended up pulling the trailer out as much as possible and then dropping/uncoupling, going around the block and reversing up to the hitch at a right angle having made sure the back end of the trailer had cleared the alley.

Well, yes, I was blocking half the road and lots of people were moaning and cars getting in the way but the boss of the site said he hadn’t seen it done like that before and I hadn’t hit anything.

That was a wag and drag setup but regular artics have so far been above me.

After passing I did spend half a day (4 hours) with Data Academy in Leicester for some extra driver training and am very pleased I did but I have still to have any decent reversing practice in a full size artic for work.

I would say the same advice as those above. If you got it in and didn’t break anything then you’ve won, right. Just because you took your time, you’re new at this, you haven’t got the years experience other drivers have and we all have to start somewhere.

If you can’t see then get out and look, even if the thoughts going through your head are various swear words and wondering how to do it. Sometimes a driver might come along and offer proper constructive words of advice. Others might laugh, turn the air blowers on to cool your face and don’t worry. I am sure they’ve hair their moments in the past too. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

wow can I feel your pain !!!

im in same boat , all the reversing ive done I seem to have made it hard for myself ,
I put too much pressure on myself to get it right first time and once it goes wrong my confidence goes too and then too much worrying about what others think than just getting on with it , but ive had some really great people help me ,watching my back and as others have said , as long as the veh comes back with all its paint a good job has been done.

Ive decided after my last run ,when got back to yard and had to get trailer back into a yard with lorries all over the place and weaving it thru them to get onto bay with the shunter up on my side steps guiding me in, that it dont matter as long as it arrives in bay eventually , i learnt a lot with that reverse and hope can take all the things I learnt with me into next run.

Ive realised that even though I managed to get it reversed on my test , no yard is ever the same as the reversing area in a test center and your learning only starts when you do it for real in the outside world.

I was starting to think I was the only one who had a nightmare, your gonna get it , as will I eventually :wink: we have just gotta keep practicing and that perfect reverse will come and then it will get easier and easier , im sure !

keep going forget the bad ones and remember the times that you got it ok :wink:

good luck and keep positive , even the old uns get a bad day sometimes !!!

all the best

Jen x

If you can’t drive it backwards, you shouldn’t be driving it forwards :wink:

Booked in when??:
If you can’t drive it backwards, you shouldn’t be driving it forwards :wink:

Yeah, a comment that you can give most new drivers of any vehicle type. An old hand shouldn’t have any problem but the OP on this thread and some of the commentators are newbies.

The main trick with reversing is to get it into the right slot without hitting things you shouldn’t and stressing yourself too much. If you [zb] it up then just straighten it up and try again.

I am sure most people here can drive the vehicle forwards and backwards, but doing the latter when it requires it to move to either side or anything like that is a learning curve, right? :wink:

Sounds like a difficult reverse and four attempts wasn’t too bad. Take some time to watch some experienced drivers do the same and you’ll see most will take a shunt or two as well. I’ve met drivers with 20 years experience who still have trouble, so don’t worry about it. Don’t be afraid to get out and look, and don’t be afraid to tell people you’re new and need a little assistance. The main purpose of the task; don’t hit anything. If you didn’t, then job done. Ever seen those scape marks on the side of 'fridges? That’s done by cocky drivers, of any length of experience, who think they are God’s gift, right up to the point of scraping metal.

And ignore spanners who make stupid comments. They were probably worse when they started, and they probably need to big it up at work because they have nagging wives who make them feel small at home.

First off,well done on having a go :wink: I know a couple of lads who passed their class 1 years ago and the reversing has beaten them,before they’ve had a go.
Best to ignore ■■■■ like that bloke and his ■■■■■■■■,if you can’t,say something along the lines of " Not bad considering I only passed my test yesterday " can you do better Fatty ? :grimacing: Usually shuts a ■■■■■■■■ like him up.
You’re NOT low on confidence,you just THINK you are.
Get back " in the saddle " asap. :wink:

I know where your coming from, I got let out on artic 1 day after my test driving although starting of in the dark lack of sleep making it a little more irksome. I also have difficulty reversing but it gets easier the more you do it. At the depot when reversing into a depot the pros made it look easy just driving past it then full locking and taking some off. I found this difficult as my truck was fully laden and the cabin was rocking and a little uncomfortable so I shunted about 5 times and eventually drove forward until straight and the reversed. Fortunately for me noone took the mickey and even was offered support, but I would say if someone has to take the biscuit then they are ussually insecure about there own ability.
Since then reversing has become easier If I get stuck I go forward to create an angle also only look in one mirror helps. Also I wouldn’t bother doing extra training pal as long as you did the job OK you will get used again eventually it will come

Don’t worry about it you got it in blind side,so called proper drivers at tesco and sainsburys on good money need a window in back of cab to see blind side so your already better than them.

Cheers for comments , feel better and ready to go again…

Had a call today and im back on the road in a class 1 and having to tramp it ( 1st time ) cause its a scotland run.
Going to nail any reversing that is needed but will always ask for help if needed.

Someone laughs at you■■?

Jump out, throw them the keys and say…OK matey, i’m new but you are obviously a highly experienced driver - put it in the space in one to show me how it’s done…a single shunt will show them up for the ■■■■ they really are…

95% will make excuses and waffle why they can’t… and you’re the winner…

Otherwise tell em ’ to ■■■■ themselves…we all have to learn and if you didn’t hit anything there’s nowt wrong with the manoeuvre!!

GARYRANDALL:
Cheers for comments , feel better and ready to go again…

Had a call today and im back on the road in a class 1 and having to tramp it ( 1st time ) cause its a scotland run.
Going to nail any reversing that is needed but will always ask for help if needed.

If you got spare time pull into a few msa’s on way up to scotland and do a few practices, that helped me when my license was still wet.
Trouble with learning is they only show you the manouvour that you need to pass your test, would be better if training companies did a bit more on reversing. Don’t give up it gets easier.