Reversing nightmare

It happens to the best of us mate. Best advice is don’t panic, forget about others watching you, and do it in your own time.

Everyone’s been in that situation, I’ve blocked roads reversing into places when I’ve run out of air from shunting so much & had traffic building & watching me :laughing:

You’ll be laughing at yourself in no time :wink:

You did well to go in on the 4th attempt blind. I’ve been driving to many years to remember & I can make more of a mess of that than you seem to have done, oh & that’s on the good side. :smiley: You did the right thing in asking for assistance & don’t pay any attention to the load mouth in the yard he’s probably got a small d**k. Keep at you’ll be fine.

I had a real bad reverse today using a twin axle urban trailer & a 6 wheel unit , uphill reverse to boot , the trailer kept coming round to fast , would i have been better lifting the middle steering axle on the unit to compensate for the small trailer ? only had a few pallets on .

I have not long passed my C+E and have had the same issues but I would add that verywhere I have been, the experienced drivers have been really helpfull. What ever you do, ignore any moron who wants to take the ■■■■, they where probably dropped on their heads as babies and they don’t know any better. My attitude is that we all had to start somewhere and as long as you don’t go in like a mad man and are prepared to take advice from those who offer it you will be fine.

I have no time for people that like to belittle others and it will come back to haunt them one day. Maybe that happened to them when they were new and they think they should pass on the bad attitude. Keep plugging away and you will get there. We have all got to start from the beginning and unless you were driving and reversing an artic at 5 or six then you have to accept that it is now that you have got to learn. Trouble with getting older is that we all get more sensitive about critism, I can’t remember worrying when I got things wrong in my teens. Main thing is you are qualified to drive great big trucks and that’s not something everyone can do. Hope that thngs get better and better, best wishes

Truckist :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

truckist:
I have not long passed my C+E and have had the same issues but I would add that verywhere I have been, the experienced drivers have been really helpfull. What ever you do, ignore any moron who wants to take the ■■■■, they where probably dropped on their heads as babies and they don’t know any better. My attitude is that we all had to start somewhere and as long as you don’t go in like a mad man and are prepared to take advice from those who offer it you will be fine.

I have no time for people that like to belittle others and it will come back to haunt them one day. Maybe that happened to them when they were new and they think they should pass on the bad attitude. Keep plugging away and you will get there. We have all got to start from the beginning and unless you were driving and reversing an artic at 5 or six then you have to accept that it is now that you have got to learn. Trouble with getting older is that we all get more sensitive about critism, I can’t remember worrying when I got things wrong in my teens. Main thing is you are qualified to drive great big trucks and that’s not something everyone can do. Hope that thngs get better and better, best wishes

Truckist :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Second to last sentence says it all…
If your qualified to drive ‘great big trucks’
then surely that means reversing them too…
Just remember the 6 ‘P’s’
Prior Planning Prevents ■■■■ Poor performance
Have a nice day and happy reversing :wink:

blindspot:
I had a real bad reverse today using a twin axle urban trailer & a 6 wheel unit , uphill reverse to boot , the trailer kept coming round to fast , would i have been better lifting the middle steering axle on the unit to compensate for the small trailer ? only had a few pallets on .

It will make no difference to your reversing but if you’re running light lifting the axle will improve fuel economy. The shorter a trailer is the quicker it will go round especially if it also has rear steer.

Booked in when??:

truckist:

Helpful wee troll aren’t ya…

44 Tonne Ton:

Booked in when??:

truckist:

Helpful wee troll aren’t ya…

I’m not a troll at all…
I just find it amusing that that’s what he’s calling a ‘Reversing Nightmare’
Maybe he should stick to rigids

What a nob jockey

I started my driving jobs working in theatre land, some of the places were horrendous and blind sides but you get in eventually,

Nowadays if i balls a reverse up with an audience and finally get it in i get out the cab and ask “anyone got a knife and fork, i made a right ■■■■■■■ meal of that!”

Tends to make the ‘commenting retards’ shut up straight away

Booked in when??:
I just find it amusing that that’s what he’s calling a ‘Reversing Nightmare’
Maybe he should stick to rigids

But new drivers need to learn, and without driving the vehicle you won’t get the experience. Also, drivers learn at different speeds, you can’t go from novice to expert without practice… :smiling_imp:

did you cause any damage ■■?
no …well job done :slight_smile:
even after 30yrs somedays they could give me $1000 AND I STILL NOT
GET IT WHERE I WANT FIRST TIME. try reversing a btrain (2 trailers) some days you would think im drunk…then i f up reversing a single trailer into the shop …ya got to laugh :blush: :blush:
dont listen to the nob jockeys who give ya grief over reversing …
these supertruckers will get it back big time…
reversing comes wi yrs practice …soo chill out and enjoy the ride… :stuck_out_tongue:
jimmy.

just laugh it off ive been driving a mix of artic and rigid+drags for only the last 3 weeks I don’t care what people think as everyone is ■■■■ to start off with and if they say they wern’t well there just full of ■■■■ instead , i could not do what you just said you did so ill say well done mate good work . alot of experienced drivers would probably not even attempt to do that either so it shows your confident . chin up he was probably just one of those i can do everything type of guys who messes up more than most people.

Some people are ■■■■■■■■■ and it sounds like you met one. Next time just explain who’ve only been driving a few weeks and will the guide you in.
We’ve all been there! Don’t give in

1. Don’t hit anything or anyone
  2. Take as much time and as many shunts as it takes
  3. Does it matter?? NO!!!

Do whatever it takes to get the trailer where it’s got to be. There’s no rule regarding how many shunts you can take.

Whatever happens - don’t panic :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Remember - the bigger the ■■■■-up of the reverse is directly proportional to the number of people watching :wink:

Oh! - to the people who are so good that they never get it wrong - perhaps you could post some videos of you demonstrating your superior skills.

I have 20 years expeiriance and never ■■■■ up…

…more than 2 or 3 times a day :laughing:

I dont drive an artic but where I work we have daily deliveries by artics. If one is already on the left hand bay the other has to do a blindside reverse onto the right hand bay. Its made difficult because theres a metal railing. I saw a guy the other day really struggling, I just waited patiently as I know thats what I would want people to do, not get mouthy or try and make you rush. Ive heard that some drivers refuse to go on the right hand bay

Although Ive never driven an artic myself Id just say keep at it mate and you`ll learn a bit more each time you do a blind side reverse

“Drive, you logged in the gate an hour ago, where the [zb] have you been”
“Well, I was told by the shunter to put it onto bay four…”
“And…”
“Well, I’m a new driver, and it’s dark and the light was shining the wrong way and…”
“Ok then, what did you hit?”
“Nothing, I got it in, but I had to take a few shunts and, well, it’s not my fault that the smokers area overlooked bay four, and they were all laughing…”
“Never mind, these things happen, no damage done then I take it?”
“Uh nope”
“Anyway, so what you got for us?”
“One pallet mate” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lee G:
I started my driving jobs working in theatre land, some of the places were horrendous and blind sides but you get in eventually,

Nowadays if i balls a reverse up with an audience and finally get it in i get out the cab and ask “anyone got a knife and fork, i made a right [zb] meal of that!”

Tends to make the ‘commenting retards’ shut up straight away

That’s the difference between newly qualified drivers and experienced drivers :wink:

those of us who have been driving for a while don’t give a [zb] when we mess up a reverse :slight_smile: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Many years ago I was in a queue of trucks waiting for a bay to come free in an East End warehousing complex. ALL the bays were on the left (blind side reverse). Eventually, the truck in front of me moved forward and gingerly went for the bay - and missed. Pulled forward, came back on exactly the same arc with a similar result. And again, and again. At which point the guy behind me dedided to test his fancy air horns. (I think he thought this would speed up the process).

So I got out and walked down to the one in front. Young lad, about 21, virtually in tears and telling me he’d only passed his test a few days previously and he couldn’t do this reverse. So I muttered some words of comfort and offered to do it for him. Yeah, straight in - no bother.

Went back to my truck and very soon another bay cleared. So pulled forward, swept back towards the bay in fine fashion and missed! Did it again - and again - and finally got it there. Wandered over to the lad who was bemused by this and informed him I could only do one decent reverse a day and that he’d had that one!

Morale of the story: most of us can ■■■■ up, fine style, no matter how much practice or how many years’ experience we’ve got. Just persevere and stay safe.

And ignore fellas with big air horns. Probably compensation for sommat else.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: