Reversing cameras

Why aren’t reversing cameras fitted as standard on all HGVs, I wouldn’t be without mine,I’m certain they can save a small fortune in damages.

I agree they can be wireless for artics,The die hards who want to live in the dark ages dont need to look at them.

I’d like to see them as standard in the near future!
Up until now though i’m sure cost has been an issue…
Not sure that argument is really there anymore!

alamcculloch:
I agree they can be wireless for artics,The die hards who want to live in the dark ages dont need to look at them.

We have them on our entire fleet of rigids (wireless - it’s an awful lot easier/cheaper to do it that way as a retrofit). I don’t know why, but the artics (all units and trailers brand new at the same time as the rigids) don’t have them.

They are a godsend when doing deliveries into hospitals, where pedestrian muppetry appears to be compulsory.

I’ve only had class two for 18months but for virtually all that time I’ve had a camera. Currently back on agency and tried to find a wireless camera kit at a reasonable cost I could use/adapt-to-use that could be easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle. Failed to find anything suitable. Even considered a drone as I know some have follow-mode but the they’re stupidly expensive and anyway, the FAA rules mean you can’t fly within 50m of a person or a building… :unamused: :confused:
Whatever happened to the trick with a bit of (white) paint on the mudguard that we used on test…

Sumsmeister:
Whatever happened to the trick with a bit of (white) paint on the mudguard that we used on test…

Nothing to stop you adding your own blob of paint/clothes peg etc to the mudguard of any lorry you happen to find yourself driving. Would only take a few minutes during your pre-use checks. If you were discreet about it, none of your colleagues would even notice what you were doing…

I’ve always thought reversing cameras where a pile of crap, goes back to a memory of a old bin lorry having with a big enormous portable as a screen and it being all fuzzy. But my g/fs new car has a reversing camera and the picture you get on it is phenomenal!

The new sainsburys class 2 trucks have cameras down the sides and back that you can watch whilst sitting at junctions. So nothing can sneak up on you.

I don’t need a camera though my reversing is the best in the business, I can reverse better than I can drive :laughing:

bobbya:
Why aren’t reversing cameras fitted as standard on all HGVs, I wouldn’t be without mine,I’m certain they can save a small fortune in damages.

Mines fantastic, picture is crystal clear, and it’s mounted on the Manitou via a suzie, and I can I pick your nose with the Manitou tyre. I think it should be compulsory on all new HGVs too.

Sumsmeister:
Even considered a drone as I know some have follow-mode but the they’re stupidly expensive and anyway, the FAA rules mean you can’t fly within 50m of a person or a building… :unamused:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: Please tell me you are joking :laughing:

If not I’m thinking of surrendering my licence. :smiley:

F-reds:

bobbya:

Mines fantastic, picture is crystal clear, and it’s mounted on the Manitou via a suzie, and I can I pick your nose with the Manitou tyre. I think it should be compulsory on all new HGVs too.

They have improved greatly in the last few years, especially when it’s dark.
But I agree that they used to be pants some years back…

I suspect they might become more popular as I believe to get FORS Silver (might be gold) you need 360’ cameras on the trucks, although not sure how that is shown on the screen (multiple little pics?). Did have a look at them as something you can add / remove at will if not using the same one all the time, but they seemed tricky and expensive still. Not even see one that takes batteries for the camera.

As for the drone - interesting idea but you’ve got to make sure it flies at exactly the same height as the trailer otherwise it’ll have a rather nasty bridge strike. :slight_smile:

trevHCS:
I suspect they might become more popular as I believe to get FORS Silver (might be gold) you need 360’ cameras on the trucks, although not sure how that is shown on the screen (multiple little pics?). Did have a look at them as something you can add / remove at will if not using the same one all the time, but they seemed tricky and expensive still. Not even see one that takes batteries for the camera.

As for the drone - interesting idea but you’ve got to make sure it flies at exactly the same height as the trailer otherwise it’ll have a rather nasty bridge strike. :slight_smile:

That’s what I have 360 vision,4 pictures on the one screen unless reversing ,gives you the full screen also left indicator gives you full view down the nearside which is excellent on the motorway, pulling back in just in case a motorist has hidden themselves in what would otherwise have been a blind spot.

bobbya:

trevHCS:

That’s what I have 360 vision,4 pictures on the one screen unless reversing ,gives you the full screen also left indicator gives you full view down the nearside which is excellent on the motorway, pulling back in just in case a motorist has hidden themselves in what would otherwise have been a blind spot.

Yeh but do you have a drone ■■■■■■ fighter flying behind you.? :laughing:

A drone? :laughing:

A bit excessive me thinks, plus battery life is going to be an issue.

Also, don’t be giving them ideas. That’ll be the next hoop to jump through to achieve FORS accreditation.

Is this another desypete thread to attack? “Reversing cameras? What ever next. In my day i could reverse blindfolded, while reading an a to z map of Geneva, going fully through the Eaton twin splitter gear range without a single crunch and ■■■■■■■■ in a crisp packet. And i never needed to wipe. ■■■■■■■. Total ■■■■■■■ the lot of you. I should be on £92 an hour. You lot should be paid in crayons. Mind you Google maps is great”

robroy:

Sumsmeister:
Even considered a drone as I know some have follow-mode but the they’re stupidly expensive and anyway, the FAA rules mean you can’t fly within 50m of a person or a building… :unamused:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 … the-rules/
CAA, sorry, the yanks haven’t taken over yet. I was thinking of something that weighs less than 20kg, honest…

robroy:

bobbya:

trevHCS:

Yeh but do you have a drone ■■■■■■ fighter flying behind you.? :laughing:

Er no but there is some prat in a white car with blue lights trying to get my attention, he can go do one I’m not stopping for anyone, need a beer.

We don’t have them, when I asked about it my TM just laughed at me.

Most quarries won’t let you in without one nowdays :unamused: :unamused:

Sumsmeister:

robroy:

Sumsmeister:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 … the-rules/
CAA, sorry, the yanks haven’t taken over yet. I was thinking of asomething that weighs less than 20kg, honest…

If that link was to point out to me that drones are gaining popularity, no need I fully realise that mate, but thanks anyway. :neutral_face:
But to consider having one flying behind you to help you manouver and reverse is just a step too far I reckon, but high in comedic value…or maybe it’s just me.
However it appears you were serious :open_mouth: , so I’m giving Swansea a bell like I said. :smiley:
Can I just nominate your ‘I considered a drone’ post for the post of the year so far. :laughing: