Reversing and the trials and tribulations

I read nothing on there about range changes

PaulNowak:
I read nothing on there about range changes

Covered by use of controls

I’ve only skimmed though the majority of the replies on here, but I passed my Class 1 on Monday, and as well as the required reversing exercise, my instructor took an hour or 2 to go over reversing in general with me. He had me reverse into a space, then pull forward and reverse in to the space next to it, and so on, each time there being different obstacles to stop it being a straight forward reverse, finishing up with starting off at a right angle to the space he wanted me to be in. While this obviously doesn’t make me an expert on reversing, it did give me some practice and an insight into what I might come up against in the real world.

Is that in black and white somewhere?

On test the examiner does not have to see the candidate use all the gears but will expect them to be in the correct gear at all times so by default they are likely to use most gear options

PaulNowak:
I took my class 1 last October and I can definitely confirm that the gear exercise and the emergency stop are no longer part of the test, so perhaps I’m not talking out of my ring about range changes?

Just a thought eh?

Where did you take your test? You were not given a controlled stop before you went out on the road?

Controlled stop has not been done for quite some time
Gear exercise was dropped because the use of it can be seen on the drive
The reversing area has been reduced in size
Loading of trucks is due soon

All this is because the DSA are trying to get schools to have their own testing areas as many DSA ones are being closed

ROG:
Controlled stop has not been done for quite some time
Gear exercise was dropped because the use of it can be seen on the drive
The reversing area has been reduced in size
Loading of trucks is due soon

All this is because the DSA are trying to get schools to have their own testing areas as many DSA ones are being closed

Thanks,just been speaking to an old friend who is still in the business.Got to say I am shocked not so much about the gear changing but more the controlled stop.
Do you know why it was stopped?
All the examiners I knew wanted to see the candidate could stop the truck quickly and safely if necessary!

Regarding the loading of trucks if it was like the last time it happened it will not last long.
The military drive loaded trucks after they pass their test and again it does not reflect reality.

albion1971:
Thanks,just been speaking to an old friend who is still in the business.Got to say I am shocked not so much about the gear changing but more the controlled stop.
Do you know why it was stopped?
All the examiners I knew wanted to see the candidate could stop the truck quickly and safely if necessary!

Was stopped because the length of testing areas is reduced so not enough length to do it

All part of the DSA plan to out source testing areas and because a stooping area requires a sand pit of similar in case of a major error which is too much for a training school to accommodate

Ok thanks for that.Testing areas reduced so not enough room.Sandpits? All sounds like everything else these days.
Going backwards for ridiculous reasons and compromising safety out on the road.

albion1971:

ROG:

albion1971:

ROG:
Instructor quals do not include a test on the ability to teach reversing but to be fair do look at general ability to instruct

The LGV instructor test part 3 is not the same as the car ADI one and there are no tests or check tests with a real pupil

Yes they do.The 2 basic LGV instructors courses I have done both requires you to talk a student through the reverse.

It could be more involved but as usual it comes down to time and money.

Are you referring to the DSA qual ?

Yes latterly with the MOD we had to go through a DSA driving test with no more than 6 faults and a instructor lesson with a proper pupil which included the reversing exercise talk through however I realise that the MOD tend to do things slightly differently to civilian companies.
I have got to say that the RTITB instructors course which was very professionally done and quite tough to pass was really beneficial and taught me an awful lot that I thought I already knew.
Saying all that you can still get a qualified instructor who is lazy and not conscientious and the pupils suffer.
I still say it all needs to be tightened up because at the moment the LGV test is more of a lottery than a test.

You would never guess it by the ones round here :unamused:

puntabrava I take it by that comment you must have had experience with a few of them then? I take it you had a lot of training and a lot of tests?
You will probably find they are ex lorry drivers with not a clue how to train someone and plenty bad driving habits!

albion1971:
puntabrava I take it by that comment you must have had experience with a few of them then? I take it you had a lot of training and a lot of tests?
You will probably find they are ex lorry drivers with not a clue how to train someone and plenty bad driving habits!

Me = somewhat self taught :smiley: took me 1.5 hours of lessons to pass my artic 2 weeks after I took my class2. How can the young lads driving mod kit be ex lorry drivers? they look as tho they are hardly shaving age!! and yes beware a green lorry approaching on the roads around here unless you spot a hi viz then its an agency driver on for them.

puntabrava:

albion1971:

Me = somewhat self taught :smiley: took me 1.5 hours of lessons to pass my artic 2 weeks after I took my class2. How can the young lads driving mod kit be ex lorry drivers? they look as tho they are hardly shaving age!! and yes beware a green lorry approaching on the roads around here unless you spot a hi viz then its an agency driver on for them.

Well that must be a record.I have taught 1000’s of drivers but never known anyone to convert from a rigid to an artic in 1 and a half hours.Tell me more please?

Who said anything about young lads being ex lorry drivers?

Maybe you misunderstood or did not read properly but when I said about a test with 6 faults etc I was taliking about instructors not students.I thought that was fairly obvious!

albion1971:

puntabrava:

albion1971:

Well that must be a record.I have taught 1000’s of drivers but never known anyone to convert from a rigid to an artic in 1 and a half hours.Tell me more please?

Who said anything about young lads being ex lorry drivers?

Maybe you misunderstood or did not read properly but when I said about a test with 6 faults etc I was taliking about instructors not students.I thought that was fairly obvious!

I just read your post and not the ones above, it reads as you were a young soldier :laughing: . In response to your ‘‘tell me more’’, me im a farm boy. Weve been allowed 18 half metre length years before the hgv longer trailer thing :smiley: Don’t know how these guys and girls get on when they leave the test centre with news of a pass and then have to start reversing into non practised situations, my instructor was trying to tell me to reverse back to such a mark then turn the wheel until ect ect, I told him to bugger off he was confusing me :laughing:

Yes punta brava had many of your type in the past! No problem reversing but full of bad habits out on the road! You did well but can you drive over 20 mph?
Once trained a 50 year old farmer who said he only required 3 days training.Could handle the vehicle no problem but full of bad habits.
3 tests later still no licence! Cost him a fortune so I think he just carried on without a licence! :smiley:

albion1971:
Yes punta brava had many of your type in the past! No problem reversing but full of bad habits out on the road! You did well but can you drive over 20 mph?
Once trained a 50 year old farmer who said he only required 3 days training.Could handle the vehicle no problem but full of bad habits.
3 tests later still no licence! Cost him a fortune so I think he just carried on without a licence! :smiley:

I bought a unimog for 80k in 1994, used to do 60 mph :smiley: there wouldn’t be much you could teach me, but I reckon I could give you some kit to frighten you :smiley:

If your feeling brave come down and drive this :smiley: is 10 foot 6’’ wide and the tyres are 6foot high and add up to 18 feet wide.

Or come and have a go on this, you can practice your reversing around telegraph poles but you will need to look out 28 metres wide, lorrys go forward and backwards, with little in between, go and use some real kit then come back and post im mr instructor.

could you reverse this mr Albion? I bet not, good habits or bad.

my willies bigger than your willie :wink: :wink:

Seems like a certain person either changes the subject of knobs off when he’s wrong. Fret ye not, I’ll take it as an accidental apology