REVERSING AN ARTIC

HELLO
MY NAME IS GORDON MCCRAE I AM A TAXI DRIVER AT PRESENT IN BLACKPOOL. ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO I TOOK MY CLASS 1 TEST AN PASSED
I WOULD LIKE TO GET BACK INTO THE JOB PLEASE COULD ANYONE OFFER ANY ADVICE ON REVERING AN ARTIC AS IT WAS NOT ONE OF MY STRONG POINTS AT THE TIME :frowning: :frowning: THANKS GORDON

First off, please turn your caps lock off, it counts as shouting on the net.

The main advice anyone has ever given about reversing an artic is it take it slowly and don’t be afraid of taking several goes to get it right.

The other main tip is to Get Out And Look. Plan ahead and decide what you want to do to get it done. Take your time and think.

see if a local intructor who uses artics will let you use them for a session just reversing around - I imagine in blackpool there must be a huge coachpark somewhere you can mess around on ?

hI gordon wellcome to trucknet same as allicat says first take a look then take your time try not to over steer take as many shunts as you need and dont be shy ask for help if you need itwe dont bite.
good luck out there Bill

And use small turns of the wheel as opposed to the cab wagging from left to right like a dogs tail.

Yep, only do small turns on the wheel. You only need a few degrees of angle between unit and trailer to have the trailer coming round in a nice steady curve. It’s definitely the biggest mistake both inexperienced and experienced drivers make, by oversteering, wagging the unit from left to right and having the trailer snaking about all over the shop. Also, the shorter the trailer is, the worse it gets! Good luck.

Ive recently did a bit of shunting and the advice here has been unreal. I had planned on going for the class 1 in the new yr(this is the new yr) but with the baby on the way the better half wont allow it so any experience i get has to be a good thing!! Scott to be honest mate look in the newbie forum as there is lots of advice and hints and tips in there. Hope ya get back on the road!!

regards
kev!

Since no-one has mentioned it yet, it`s a lot easier to reverse with clean mirrors than with dirty ones.

Also, you should avoid doing a blind-side reverse if possible. If you can turn round 50 yards up the road and then reverse in on your good-side, then do that.

It comes with practice. Ive been practicing for 17 years now, and Im almost half-way there! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

alternatively my advice would be to stick to taxi driving mate… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Vince:
It comes with practice. Ive been practicing for 17 years now, and Im almost half-way there! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

Blimey Vince, I’ve been practicing for 27 years and I’m still not _quite_1/2 way there yet :wink: You must practice in your spare time as well :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Also,as no one else has mentioned this,different types of trailers reverse in different ways. For example,a twin axle trailer ‘pivots’ on its rear axle,wheras a triaxle will ‘pivot’ on the centre axle,therefore giving more ‘overhang’ when reversing.
No two reverse manouveres are the same! You could reverse a trailer onto a bay and do the same bay with another trailer and it can be quite different.
Just remember,GO SLOWLY, if you’re not sure,get out and look(G.O.A.L.)
or ask for assistance. Many drivers will gladly assist you onto a bay rather than see you reverse into their shiny cab!! :smiley: :open_mouth:

PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT…(well nearly!!!). :laughing:

Dan.

Gordon there is a thread in the FAQ forum that may help you a little, it has some information on reversing. You can find it here.

Dan a.k.a Boo:
Just remember,GO SLOWLY, if you’re not sure,get out and look(G.O.A.L.)
or ask for assistance. Many drivers will gladly assist you onto a bay rather than see you reverse into their shiny cab!!
Dan.

Gordon,

This is the best advice you’ve had yet. Most drivers will be only too glad to give you the benefit but would not always offer it to a struggling driver for fear of embarrassing him. Also they may think you are one of them having a bad day! Believe me it happens. So ask.

Salut, David.

No body can give you advice on reversing an artic, you will just pick it up as you go on, try and get some practice away from prying eyes so nobody can poke fun at you.

It’s just something you learn like riding a bike. :slight_smile:

Gordon
Take a look at this

newbiedriver.com/articles/Ba … acking.htm

Bear in mind it’s from the States, so if you can think ‘Right hand drive’, it may help.
Best of Luck

Kate

people always say to us drivers that’s an easy job drivimg one of them rigs yes i reply going forwards easy it’s going backwards that’s the problem, it’s all been said my friend if in doudt stop go have a look or ask someone to help you or to put it on the bay for you and stand and watch him do it. it’s amazing how much you can learn from watching someone else.and don’t worry if the warehouse guys are waiting to load your trailer just tell them that your new at this game,most will be alright with you after they slag you :laughing: good luck have fun

and sods law states that the first time you do a difficult reverse without a shunt and get it inch perfect there will not be a single soul about to see your achievment. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

All the above is sound advice, I’ve been driving class one for just 8 months and reversing is still a big worry, not as big as it was and it is getting easier.

What I am trying to say is it will come, slowly, but it will come.

All the best.

Wayne.

Same as all the rest take your time and ask,dont be put off by a group of drivers stood watching you,all youve got to remember is weve all been there at one time or another,also same as trailers different units steer differently,try not to bee nervous youll soon get the hang of it,were all still learning and will be until the day we retire TRUCK EM EASY BOYS N GIRLS!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

DOLLY BLACK SHEEP:
try not to be nervous you’ll soon get the hang of it,were all still learning and will be until the day we retire

Great! Does this mean that I’ve passed now then??

Salut, David.