Returnloads or Haulage exchange

I recently got my o licence and want to start looking for work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Reading all these forums I’m starting to think is/was there any point in applying for it. Has anyone got any experience working with Returnloads or Haulage exchange?

Both of those are purely to get you home, theres no way you can turn a profit running outbound at those rates, surely you lined some profitable work up before you took the plunge…

Do what every other Tom, ■■■■ and Harry are doing and sign up with Amazon relay

Jaxo:

The question to ask, Why haven’t the blue chip, pointy shoe, logistics, success driven blue sky Companies, taken on Amazon delivery…

chaversdad:
Both of those are purely to get you home, theres no way you can turn a profit running outbound at those rates, surely you lined some profitable work up before you took the plunge…

Thanks for the response. Im a LTD driver and knowing the IR35 was/is coming April 21 I just applied for the O licence as I didn’t want to be a lorry driver under PAYE and now I don’t know where to start. Is there any chance you can point me in the right direction for some profitable work?

Jaxo:

Jaxo, I have looked into Tom, ■■■■ and Harry’s work but from what I’ve seen and read about it should be illegal to offer people work with rates so low. I don’t understand how people are making profits from pulling there trailers.?

KGDGTRANSPORT:

chaversdad:

Thanks for the response. Im a LTD driver and knowing the IR35 was/is coming April 21 I just applied for the O licence as I didn’t want to be a lorry driver under PAYE and now I don’t know where to start. Is there any chance you can point me in the right direction for some profitable work?

Not really, its who you know not what you know in this game,
Have you got a truck yet?

chaversdad:

KGDGTRANSPORT:

chaversdad:

Not really, its who you know not what you know in this game,
Have you got a truck yet?

I have a truck ready for me. So as soon as I can find some work I’m ready to start.

KGDGTRANSPORT:

chaversdad:

Something must be lost in translation here. What is the problem with being paid under PAYE that has caused to you to apply for an O-licence, buy a truck and all the costs associated with them, all with no work lined up? I would dearly love to hear what your thought process was as you mapped out this ingenious plan.

And the best way to get go know people in the job…is to do the job.
Unless you have family or other ties (asking this advice here suggests not) then go and get some experience and contacts by driving as an employee.

^^^^^ in a nutshell. It is far less painless to open a door that someone else has previously paid you to open.

Dont give up just because you get some negative feedback on here.
In fact you have done the correct thing by obtaining your CPC. Without it you will not get any joy with trying to get in the door with any decent companies you will apply for work from, they will ask for your O/L and Vat details before discussing rates ect.
Stick with your goals for sure. But I would say. Make buying a truck the last thing on your list, please speak to several various companies offering work first, you need to know what rates they are offering. Then and only then will you be able to work out if you can make a go of it.

The problem with return load companies is they have taken the profit off the rate for the job before giving it to you. When you ask what rate the job pays also ask when you get paid. If I remember collect most would pay me 90 days from the month of invoice date. If I was in London running down to Tilbury and loading the same day as I tipped loading back to Exeter would pay the diesel home but going past Exeter say to Plymouth or Cornwall was a waste of time and money. The only time I made money as an owner driver was when I started with a 16 ton curtainsider as there wasn’t many about in the 80;s doing the Dray in the summer months.

seams that guys is bussy as he did not sign here since his last post…

Mick Bracewell:

KGDGTRANSPORT:

chaversdad:

Something must be lost in translation here. What is the problem with being paid under PAYE that has caused to you to apply for an O-licence, buy a truck and all the costs associated with them, all with no work lined up? I would dearly love to hear what your thought process was as you mapped out this ingenious plan.

My thought process at the time was, being a class 2 driver on £13 per hour ltd and dropping from that to around £9 per hour I’ll be working to just about pay the bills. So with that in mind that’s the reason why I applied for it. Im not saying there is anything wrong with PAYE I’m just choosing not to be.

Franglais:
And the best way to get go know people in the job…is to do the job.
Unless you have family or other ties (asking this advice here suggests not) then go and get some experience and contacts by driving as an employee.

True!

Jocoh:
Dont give up just because you get some negative feedback on here.
In fact you have done the correct thing by obtaining your CPC. Without it you will not get any joy with trying to get in the door with any decent companies you will apply for work from, they will ask for your O/L and Vat details before discussing rates ect.
Stick with your goals for sure. But I would say. Make buying a truck the last thing on your list, please speak to several various companies offering work first, you need to know what rates they are offering. Then and only then will you be able to work out if you can make a go of it.

This is exactly what happen Jocoh, I got speaking to a manager of a company and he asked for all the information you put above and explained the rates, payment terms and what he required and I’m now working with them. I haven’t bought a truck yet i leased one and I leased one for the simple fact that having no idea about how things go I didn’t want to buy one not find work and get stuck with it.

miketdt:
The problem with return load companies is they have taken the profit off the rate for the job before giving it to you. When you ask what rate the job pays also ask when you get paid. If I remember collect most would pay me 90 days from the month of invoice date. If I was in London running down to Tilbury and loading the same day as I tipped loading back to Exeter would pay the diesel home but going past Exeter say to Plymouth or Cornwall was a waste of time and money. The only time I made money as an owner driver was when I started with a 16 ton curtainsider as there wasn’t many about in the 80;s doing the Dray in the summer months.

I thought 30 days from the month of invoice date was bad but 90 days, that could potentially make your business crumble not long after you start.would you go back into owner driver work? any advice miketdt

LL79:

I don’t understand what you mean

KGDGTRANSPORT:

LL79:

I don’t understand what you mean

It means that hopefully meanwhile you have found work so you are too busy working to read comments here…
If you dont mind stay in truck all week Baron woods always looking for OD and its quite good work…