Retired HGV Drivers

I have been retired now nearly 3 x years and this last year have been bored at home with lockdown etc, so I am in the process of renewing my class1 licence to do the odd shifts each week and earn a bit of pocket money.
Any other retired drivers thinking of or have done the same recently?

I work with a 68 and 70 year old still driving for the same reason. Both work normally 3 nights a week on agency.

Conor:
I work with a 68 and 70 year old still driving for the same reason. Both work normally 3 nights a week on agency.

Yes I am coming up to my 70th birthday and looking to go with an agency or work for a company part time.

hi malmaz, i retired in 2015 at 55,(hard work, bit of luck and a mrs who still earns v/good money)
if the artic work still calls you go for it but i had 2 years out then got a van job 1 day a week and 4 full weeks to cover the full time drivers hols.
there is nothing nicer than driving a vw caddy in the outside lane passing the c1’s and thinking i would have been stuck in that lot up eachothers arses a few years back… :smiley: :wink:

Im a long way off retirement but can safely say I’d never do any kind of work when retired due to boredom. :open_mouth:

Retired 10 years ago,dont know how I found time to go to work :sunglasses: Only the odd occasion have I been bored when the weather has been awful. Holidays gardening fishing the odd night or two away for a change of scenery,kept my licence up just in case money was not working out,didnt use it in the first year never bothered renewing it. There`s no way I would have come out of retirement to plod up and down the road because I was bored.

maga:
Im a long way off retirement but can safely say I’d never do any kind of work when retired due to boredom. :open_mouth:

i thought that maga then after 2 yrs just wanted to have a ride about at somebody elses expense and earn a couple of bob and meet people.
if swmbo was retired (10 years younger) different story but i love both sides of it… :wink:

p.s correct me if i’m wrong but did’nt you come off the road and now work for jlr…■■

I’ve just retired from full time tramping at 67,I have been offered £15.00 per hour, Wed, Thur, Fri, 10 hour dayshift for as long as I like, why not?, build up a nice wee holiday fund for when we can go abroad, without dipping into my savings.

Sapper

maga:

One thing I’ve learned over the years is that what you think you will do when you are older and what you actually do when you are older are two entirely different animals. :wink:

Not done a days work since September last year and not tempted to go back, I was 55 and had enough and am now just biding my time until I get the cash for my house and then leaving for my other house in the mountains of central Portugal…I could have earned a few thousand I guess, but I would have been stressed and grumpy, instead I have been cycling, fishing, walking and riding…Not enough money in the world to compensate for that.

Stick your driving.

totally right harry, maga is dreaming the dream we are living real life and i suspect you like me are loving it… :sunglasses: :wink:

Harry Monk:
One thing I’ve learned over the years is that what you think you will do when you are older and what you actually do when you are older are two entirely different animals. :wink:

Well, that’s got to be the comment of the day, or maybe the week. :slight_smile: A definite one to remember.

m.a.n rules:

maga:

i thought that maga then after 2 yrs just wanted to have a ride about at somebody elses expense and earn a couple of bob and meet people.
if swmbo was retired (10 years younger) different story but i love both sides of it… :wink:

p.s correct me if i’m wrong but did’nt you come off the road and now work for jlr…■■

Correct, ive been there nearly 7 years now. I do a bit of driving for tesco/one stop to keep my hand in when it suits

Maybe you are harry are right and i am just dreaming… Only 32 years of dreaming left until i can retire :laughing:

maga:

I used to think that in my 40years of hgv1 driving but this retirement lark is not as good as some people will have you think.

malmaz:

maga:

I used to think that in my 40years of hgv1 driving but this retirement lark is not as good as some people will have you think.

It is if you have plenty of hobbies and interests. I imagine all those of you saying “it’s not as good as you think” are people that have no hobbies or past times because all you’ve done for 40 years is flogged your guts out working 84 hours a week sleeping in a tin box so not had time to do anything else. As ‘lolipop’ said above, “don’t know how I found the time to go to work” - same here. I only work when I need a boost of money to fund a purchase; the rest of the time I am busy with hobby stuff and 24 hrs is not enough hours in a day to get everything done I want to get done. Life is for living, not working. You do the bare minimum needed of the latter to enjoy the former :bulb: .

DCPCFML:

malmaz:

maga:

It is if you have plenty of hobbies and interests. I imagine all those of you saying “it’s not as good as you think” are people that have no hobbies or past times because all you’ve done for 40 years is flogged your guts out working 84 hours a week sleeping in a tin box so not had time to do anything else. As ‘lolipop’ said above, “don’t know how I found the time to go to work” - same here. I only work when I need a boost of money to fund a purchase; the rest of the time I am busy with hobby stuff and 24 hrs is not enough hours in a day to get everything done I want to get done. Life is for living, not working. You do the bare minimum needed of the latter to enjoy the former :bulb: .

I do have hobbies had the same hobby for over 35years but it don’t mean I cant get bored with it at times and I have Never flogged my guts out for 84 hours a week. But everybody is different Eh.

I could see myself doing up some old canal boat or barge in my old age and doing some truck work to fund it.
That being said I am not even 30 yet so by the time I reach retirement age personal vehicles will no doubt be banned and all truck driving will be automated :smiley:

I’m sure “Harry” could advise you on the costs and pros and cons of owning and living on a canal boat as that’s what he’s been doing for a good few years.

Conor:

They’re still relatively young then!! One of our subbies is 81, still driving everyday and still does a couple of nights out every week…… only works to top up the grandkids fund!

DCPCFML:
I’m sure “Harry” could advise you on the costs and pros and cons of owning and living on a canal boat as that’s what he’s been doing for a good few years.

It’s like being homeless, only more expensive. :stuck_out_tongue: