Restoring a classic truck

Why am i getting the urge to buy a classic early Globetrotter?

A, I aint got a HGV licence
B, I aint got anywhere to store it
C, where can i find one

I just cant seem to get them out of my head, ever since been a kid and seeing Brian Yeardleys first ive wanted to own a early Globetrotter, ive restored/tuned plenty of cars so have a few contacts, I keep toying with taking my HGV test also

So should i do it? :smiley:

You’re not the only one, I’ve not got an HGV licence of any flavour, any kind of workshop or storage space and I can’t get the idea of making one of my lifes goals to get a nice pre-3 series Scania (preferably 140/1 but I’ve got a mild attachment to the 112, as that’s what I was practically brought up in) up and running out of my head.

I’ve spent too long browsing the pics of old, real wagons on here stirring up the memories I think.

JonB1973:

C, where can i find one

I just cant seem to get them out of my head, ever since been a kid and seeing Brian Yeardleys first ive wanted to own a early Globetrotter, ive restored/tuned plenty of cars so have a few contacts, I keep toying with taking my HGV test also

Dont know the unladen weight without a 5th wheel but if its under 7.5 tons would you need a hgv licence?

I have a Scania 142 which I use for shows. There are lots of things to consider, firstly is storage space, if you haven’t anywhere suitable to keep it then I’d suggest finding somewhere before you actually buy a truck. If you want to keep your truck looking good and in top condition then it’ll need to be securely indoors [not as easy for a truck as a car].

If you find a suitable truck [truck trader website, classic truck mag classifieds] expect to spend money on it, they are never really ‘finished’. If carrying out a restoration don’t kid yourself that its going to cost a fixed amount. These things very rarely [if ever] get done under budget, theres always something you didn’t forsee needing more cash.

Driving licience wise… others may disagree but I would advise at least a C licience [class 2] and remember you’d need driver cpc too now.

Tax would probably be PLG less than £200 a year. Insurance would prob be less than that.

Theres a lot to think about, ask yourself how often you would really use it and attend shows.

I can say since having mine I have had a lot of enjoyment attending shows and made friends with some great likeminded people along the way.

You will get plenty of good help and advice from here if you talk to those that have already done it. Keep us informed.
Neil.

ramone:

JonB1973:

C, where can i find one

Dont know the unladen weight without a 5th wheel but if its under 7.5 tons would you need a hgv licence?

If you could get it to sit on a weighbridge at less than 7.5 tonnes, which you probably could do if it was a 4x2, you could get it re-plated as a 7.5 tonner and if you had taken your car test before 1997 then you could drive it on a car licence, I believe.

I could possibly find a like minded enthusiast where i could store it, and i still fancy taking my HGV test, and as for spending money on it, I dread to think how much ive spent on cars in the past lol

Suppose finding the right truck will be the hard part, theres some nice Globetrotters in this months classic mag and a real nice flatop F12 :smiley:

They do turn up from time to time on ebay and in Commercial Motor.

I think this will remain a long term goal for me, for starters, I think I shall build a model of a classic. Baby steps and all that!

Am in a similar situation…despite not having storage/finance/dirving docs etc…I still have a deep urge to own a 4X2 ERF B series tractor. My dads old wagon which he drove back in the 70s/80s is on the rally scene, and it breaks my heart when I think what could have been.

I too tried to get it out of my system by building a model of said wagon…didnt work mate!!! I still dream of owning her, or one similar…perhaps thats all it will be…a dream. At least these dont drain yer bank account, and take up all your spare time :wink:

With regards to the leagallity around driving a wagon without lic’se…by my understanding, if you remove the towing capabillity, you can drive it on a normal car one (providing it is under 7.5t)…an associate of mine suggested removing the jaws out o the fifth wheel.

Good luck mate.

It seems im not alone in wanting a classic truck lol

What type of MPG do bobtail wagons have(ie F12 or a 142)? :smiley:

I’ve nowhere to store one and hopeless at model making never mind restoring vehicles but I’d love a; Bedford O Type flatbed in red with Bernard T Frost on the doors…Bedford TK in navy blue of James Marriott.
A Foden S39 6w tipper in Smith and Sons livery…just to wind my Uncle up as he hated his :laughing: I think I’ll just have to wait until Smiths restore Dads old V reg (99) Foden 8w for shows (meant to be happening this year) or look after my Alpha for a few more years… :sunglasses:

well i bought a 7.5 tonner had to take a test to be able to drive it
managed to find somwhere to keep in (future farther in laws garden)
and now i am trying to finance the restoration all i can say is it is rewarding at times but there are times you wish you hadnt and times when its best to walk away and leave it for a bit hope that helps but dont rush in to any thing if you are going for a f 10/12/16 i would advise going for a square headlight one as parts are easier to get than the round ones good luck

what 7.5 tonner you got?

Sorry mate its gotta be a round light globetrotter for me, as early as possible :grimacing:

If you passed your car test before (not sure of exact dates, but sometime in the early 90s■■?)… you can drive anything up to and including 7.5t. If you passed after, a seperate test would be required for such a vehicle.

I passsed my driving test at 19 years old in 1989, and 3 weeks later got a job driving a 7.5t Renaule fridge, multi dropping frozen food all over the North of England. I remember my first day…driving over the pennines from Barnsley to Manchester, and then on to Liverpool, before heading up to carlisle for a collection back to Barnsley…Just passed my test, no driving experience, and no brains in general at 19…I totally papped misen going over Woodhead in my first drive after passing my test in a mini metro!!! :neutral_face: …great days though.

I agree though, despite the good case for ease of spares with the square heads, for the look, you cant beat the round ones on the Volvo.

I have a 1948 Morris 10 4 and that can be a costly item at times. But as the guys have said if it weighs under 7.5 tons forget the HGV licence because that is another costly item.

hilltop4:
If you passed your car test before (not sure of exact dates, but sometime in the early 90s■■?)… you can drive anything up to and including 7.5t. If you passed after, a seperate test would be required for such a vehicle.

This statement needs clarifying a little. A tractor unit may weigh less than 7.5 tonnes but if it is plated with a Maximum Gross Weight of 38 tonnes (or any amount more than 7.5 tonnes) , then you cannot drive it on a pre-1997 car licence, you would have to have it downplated to 7.5 tonnes before you could do so.

JonB1973:
It seems im not alone in wanting a classic truck lol

What type of MPG do bobtail wagons have(ie F12 or a 142)? :smiley:

About 12 to 14 mpg IIRC.

I think if you can afford to do it it’s a good thing to get into I’ve been left by my dad who sadly passed away an ERF A series which he had restored but never got to see it finished it’s cheap to insure and tax and I have a class 2 but after driving dafs and Volvo FM’s all week it took some getting used to

Another way of removing towing capability is to weld a plate in to the fifth wheel. Or have a removable one if others plan to drive it. I always think removing the fifth wheel makes wagons look bad.

JonB1973:
what 7.5 tonner you got?

Sorry mate its gotta be a round light globetrotter for me, as early as possible :grimacing:

I have a TK removal van used to be one of my dads he sold it in 86 when i was 4 andf i told him i would buy it back then had to wait a few years but i have had it about 4 1/2 years now
the reason i said about the round and square headlights was i used to work for volvo and tried getting hold of some bits for our customers that were restoring an f10 and 12 think we had to get some stuff from greece !