RESTORATIONS

While it’s great to see old lorries restored etc , i am a stickler for detail :blush: But don’t you find many that don’t look right :confused: there seem to be alot that have modern wheels fitted,the wrong type of mirrors & other minor details that spoil it for me . Also i am not a fan of ‘made’ up liveries-usually signwritten in the owners name & fake loads roped on every hook :unamused:
What’s your opinion?

boris:
While it’s great to see old lorries restored etc , i am a stickler for detail :blush: But don’t you find many that don’t look right :confused: there seem to be alot that have modern wheels fitted,the wrong type of mirrors & other minor details that spoil it for me . Also i am not a fan of ‘made’ up liveries-usually signwritten in the owners name & fake loads roped on every hook :unamused:
What’s your opinion?

For what its worth “boris” IMO your observations are justified! the trouble is a lot of the “restorers” have neither owned,operated or driven the motors they restore,and all they want to see is their name lettered on the door or wherever! fair enough its their motor,but it does demean the actual vehicle not being returned to its origional “in operation” state.And as for the various “mock loads” well they are just a joke!!! why not leave the motor M/T because a lot of these wally’s can’t sheet and rope to save themselves! IMO Tony Knowles is the G’uvnor when it comes to restoring old motors,everything authentic and no ■■■■■■■■!! There are,of course,one or two others of a similar standard to Tony! Cheers Bewick.

The trailers often let the outfit down , in the 70s most just had a single rubber flap mudguard & no sideguards . I prefer the lorry to look used rather than showroom-some look ‘over’ restored to me

boris:
What’s your opinion?

I do understand your point but how many trucks have you personally restored to the standard of which you write? I personally haven’t restored any but am about to embark on a very light resto’ on an early 90’s Volvo which I will keep as close to standard as I want and might even fit some period accessories, but the name of the game for me is preservation, and as long as trucks are saved from the scrap heap, that’s good enough for me.

Ross.

mazz:
The trailers often let the outfit down , in the 70s most just had a single rubber flap mudguard & no sideguards . I prefer the lorry to look used rather than showroom-some look ‘over’ restored to me

Does this look “used” enough for you?

Oh, and what’s beneath the sheet is concrete test weights and pallets of scrap cement!

bigr250:

boris:
What’s your opinion?

I do understand your point but how many trucks have you personally restored to the standard of which you write? I personally haven’t restored any but am about to embark on a very light resto’ on an early 90’s Volvo which I will keep as close to standard as I want and might even fit some period accessories, but the name of the game for me is preservation, and as long as trucks are saved from the scrap heap, that’s good enough for me.

Ross.

I’m not critisizing anyone thats restored a lorry in fact i have nothing but admiration, but merely pointing out that certain restorations just don’t do it for me . Whether i have restored a lorry- or not, makes no difference :confused:but if i was to go to the trouble & effort i would at least try to make it as authentic as possible

240 Gardner:

mazz:

Oh, and what’s beneath the sheet is concrete test weights and pallets of scrap cement!

Hullo 2240 Gardner"
THAT MOTOR LOOKS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ! If it is yours then you should be right proud of her.
Cheers, archie

240 Gardner:

mazz:

If it had the single mudflap & winguard mirrors it would be perfect :wink:

Archie Paice:

240 Gardner:

mazz:

Hullo 2240 Gardner"
THAT MOTOR LOOKS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ! If it is yours then you should be right proud of her.
Cheers, archie

Thanks Archie! Yes, it’s mine, and I passed my test in that in 1981!

mazz:

240 Gardner:

mazz:

If it had the single mudflap & winguard mirrors it would be perfect :wink:

No sideguards though…

Speaking from personal experience, I started out on my restoration with the highest ambition of keeping everything original. Eventually though, certain constraints (mainly money and time) can make you lose some of your previously-held high principles. My old girl has had some non-original parts and non-standard repairs carried out, but I can live with that. You may even argue that seeing as in-service vehicles are kept running by non-authentic parts/repairs, why should a restoration be any different?!

boris:
I’m not critisizing anyone thats restored a lorry in fact i have nothing but admiration, but merely pointing out that certain restorations just don’t do it for me . Whether i have restored a lorry- or not, makes no difference :confused:but if i was to go to the trouble & effort i would at least try to make it as authentic as possible

So do you consider this to be authenic, Boris?

GCR2ERF:
Speaking from personal experience, I started out on my restoration with the highest ambition of keeping everything original. Eventually though, certain constraints (mainly money and time) can make you lose some of your previously-held high principles. My old girl has had some non-original parts and non-standard repairs carried out, but I can live with that. You may even argue that seeing as in-service vehicles are kept running by non-authentic parts/repairs, why should a restoration be any different?!

Can’t disagree for a minute!

I would reckon some vehicles are picked up in a pretty bad state to begin with, and guess some parts like oringinal mirrors and the like are very hard to come buy so the restorer may have to ‘make do’ with the closest thing, plus parts for these old girls do come at a premium.

Bewick:

boris:
What’s your opinion?

For what its worth “boris” IMO your observations are justified! the trouble is a lot of the “restorers” have neither owned,operated or driven the motors they restore,and all they want to see is their name lettered on the door or wherever! fair enough its their motor,but it does demean the actual vehicle not being returned to its origional “in operation” state.And as for the various “mock loads” well they are just a joke!!! why not leave the motor M/T because a lot of these wally’s can’t sheet and rope to save themselves! IMO Tony Knowles is the G’uvnor when it comes to restoring old motors,everything authentic and no ■■■■■■■■!! There are,of course,one or two others of a similar standard to Tony! Cheers Bewick.

Many people who restore old lorries work to a tight budget, (it is an expensive hobby), so why do people complain about the livery they put onto the vehicle,(everyone has there dreams). We have two restored vehicles, both in original liveries. One is probably the most original vehicle in the country, the second restored to its as new condition, but the main part in restoring these vehicles for me is the enjoyment in driving them. If you can go out with a smile on your face and come back the same after 15hrs and over 350 miles in a LV ERF with a throbbing ■■■■■■■ 205. Thats the enjoyment in restoring an old vehicle.

The other part of this hobby is in the people that you meet.

Iain

240 Gardner:

boris:

So do you consider this to be authenic, Boris?

at least it’s got the correct wheels :slight_smile: & not painted in Joe Bloggs transport purple , just nitpicking- but them back wings :frowning: ,battery & mirrors :confused: otherwise ok :wink: Are the old winguard mirrors hard to find & them old ‘triangle’ shape mirrors you used to see fitted on lorries then?

What about this then, looked pretty in keeping to the 80’s when i saw it last month!!!

Gaz:
What about this then, looked pretty in keeping to the 80’s when i saw it last month!!!

ABSOLUTE PERFECTION ! Except :imp: :imp: for the waste of 4 screws ans a replica TIR plate ( I ran DAF’s so I appreciate this one )
Cheers, Archie.

h

Gaz:

That looks lovely to me, in my last job before going self employed again in 1986 I drove a DAF 3300 from new in 1983 and thought it was a great motor at the time.

Ross.

PS, I wish it was in my garage. (if it was I’d take the 2nd steer off & make it a 4x2 like I drove back then!! :wink: )

Wish it was in my shed too, then i’d sit in it and look over at my other 2 toys!!!