RESTORATIONS

bigr250:
h

Gaz:
What about this then, looked pretty in keeping to the 80’s when i saw it last month!!!

That looks lovely to me, in my last job before going self employed again in 1986 I drove a DAF 3300 from new in 1983 and thought it was a great motor at the time.
PS, I wish it was in my garage. (if it was I’d take the 2nd steer off & make it a 4x2 like I drove back then!! :wink: )

Hiya …what a machine …I should,nt of sold her.
John

boris:
at least it’s got the correct wheels :slight_smile: & not painted in Joe Bloggs transport purple , just nitpicking- but them back wings :frowning: ,battery & mirrors :confused: otherwise ok :wink: Are the old winguard mirrors hard to find & them old ‘triangle’ shape mirrors you used to see fitted on lorries then?

Well, the back wings are very like the ones that came off, the batteries were “acquired” due to budget restrictions and teh mirrors are 400 Series, dating back to 1975. They are probably the best ones for actually seeing with, and which will also fit the original mirror arms. Hundreds of Mk.2s ended up with them.

240 Gardner:

mazz:
The trailers often let the outfit down , in the 70s most just had a single rubber flap mudguard & no sideguards . I prefer the lorry to look used rather than showroom-some look ‘over’ restored to me

Does this look “used” enough for you?

Oh, and what’s beneath the sheet is concrete test weights and pallets of scrap cement!

Lovely old girl really looks the part, a credit to you mate. Looks like she’s resting after a hard day. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The trouble with authenticity is time.

What a truck looked liked when new at the factory would be different to what it looked like when in service with its first owner.

Then the second and subsequent owners would also make modifications and upgrades along the way - using more modern items - such as mirrors etc.

What would you restore this vehicle to:

It has spent far longer as a wrecker with the “wrong” engine etc than it ever did as a milk tanker!

240 Gardner:

mazz:
The trailers often let the outfit down , in the 70s most just had a single rubber flap mudguard & no sideguards . I prefer the lorry to look used rather than showroom-some look ‘over’ restored to me

Does this look “used” enough for you?

Oh, and what’s beneath the sheet is concrete test weights and pallets of scrap cement!

Lovely old girl really looks the part, a credit to you mate. Looks like she’s resting after a hard day. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sorry don’t know what happened there, double post somehow. :laughing: :blush:

fryske:

What a truck looked liked when new at the factory would be different to what it looked like when in service with its first owner.

Then the second and subsequent owners would also make modifications and upgrades along the way - using more modern items - such as mirrors etc.

It has spent far longer as a wrecker with the “wrong” engine etc than it ever did as a milk tanker!

Do you know when it was a milk tanker, if it was owned by the Co-op, the reg. seems to ring a bell.

altitude:

fryske:

Do you know when it was a milk tanker, if it was owned by the Co-op, the reg. seems to ring a bell.

It was with the CO-OP - and was converted by them to a wrecker - you can see the blue stripes of the CO-OP livery
They fitted a Rolls 265 in place of the Gardner 150.

Yeah It’s all a long time ago now fryske, the old head not what it was :laughing: :laughing: but as I said the reg. rang a bell. I’m sure we had 698 and maybe 699. so I would have driven 683. but in It’s tanker days.

Cheers

John.

Hiya… its ok people saying things are not perfect or not worn. its hard work fining the correct parts to restore trucks.
the mirror,s on the ERF are suitable the orignal are inpossible to get hold of as they rotted away in a few years so plastic are
a good alternative, the tyres are not matching but a couple of thousend to reshod her is pritty steep just for a match.
ERF orignal wheel discs at close on £100 each wow why not have later type perhaps lying around on a shelf.
She looks a good machine to me and would be a welcome site if you,d been sitting on the motorway for a couple of hours.
John

commendable job but why is there a TIR plate on the front bumper? there was no need for that as the TIR convention related to the load carrying part of the vehicle, in fact it was a nuisance if you had to clear at a port and couldnt sleep in the lorry and had to drop the trailer _ you couldnt if you were running on TIR also there are no sealing points on the plate which were needed , usually a bolt with a hole drilled through so it could be sealed, they were often a fashion accessory used by drivers who would pick trailers up in ports like felixstowe ane rob the plates so they could ‘pose’ going up the road.

NICE VOLVO

scan0069.jpg

TOM SHANKS ABERDEEN

scan0072.jpg

TOM SHANKS ABERDEEN

POLLOCK ATKINSON

scan0094.jpg

W G RIDDLE ABERDEEN

scan0137.jpg

J & M MURDOCH PAISLEY

scan0149.jpg

ESSEX INTERNATIONAL

scan0154.jpg

POLLOCK SCANIA AND ASG SPEDITION

scan0148.jpg

scan0156.jpg

Hello gents

i think all these trucks are a credit to their owners and the road haulage industry, and to the guys that have spent time money and effort on them.

regards

mark