Reporting Accident

Hi all,

Had an incident today where my mirror collided with a busses mirror as we were passing each other at about 30MPH. My main mirror was completely gone but I still had the small wide angle one. The accident was no one’s fault, I was scraping the kerb to try and avoid them.I didn’t stop when it happened as there was nowhere really to pull over. My question is, do I need to report the incident to the police to cover myself as I never exchanged details with the driver at the time?
Thanks

Elesjay:
Hi all,

Had an incident today where my mirror collided with a busses mirror as we were passing each other at about 30MPH. My main mirror was completely gone but I still had the small wide angle one. The accident was no one’s fault, I was scraping the kerb to try and avoid them.I didn’t stop when it happened as there was nowhere really to pull over. My question is, do I need to report the incident to the police to cover myself as I never exchanged details with the driver at the time?
Thanks

Basically, you had a collision, and drove off, technically, it is a hit and run… I suggest you cal 101 and report it to the police… a person could of been injured, furthermore, there is no such thing as accident , you and the bus driver would of been aware, and if the road was that narrow 30mph, was to fast, as proved by damage to the vehicle… cover yourself and report it to employer and police… if a person was injured on the bus, they will go over the cctv on bus and will say, you hit and run and will blame you.

Report it , and cover your rear.

Which vehicle was over the centre line?

“The accident was no one’s fault”

The accident was 100% your fault fixed for you op!

So you was scraping the kerb? and still continued and made contact if you cant pass the bus come to a complete stop and handbrake and work it out, or better mount the kerb

Dont tell me your another car to class 1 …

You should report it to police, if bus company complaint it u will b covered. No need to take chance.
It can happen to anyone no need to blame, when we have very narrow roads it’s happening evey day.

TruckDriverBen:
“The accident was no one’s fault”

The accident was 100% your fault fixed for you op!

So you was scraping the kerb? and still continued and made contact if you cant pass the bus come to a complete stop and handbrake and work it out, or better mount the kerb

Dont tell me your another car to class 1 …

This is why your post about the Queen was deleted.

You only post in a combative arrogant manner. Like a troll, if you wish.

I’d suggest you be put on pre-mod, but we don’t want your sort in our club…

Report to all those that need to know. is there video evidence from the truck you were driving? did you stop as soon as it was safe to do so? did the bus stop or look as if it was preparing to stop.

had a simular situation had a bus come round a blind bend over the white line and took my mirror clean off. couldnt stop right away as it was on a blund bend but in my case there was a layby a couple 100 yards further on. walked back and took pics of the mirror bits laying in the road and no bus. time stamps on video and photos proved the bus hadnt stoped and i had done the best i could however, company was ready to roast me alive for leaving the scene

Don’t delay - report the accident to the Police.
Don’t make what will hopefully only be an administrative task into an offence.

You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if you do not give your details at the time of the accident.

The Police will have no interest in the incident unless the other party contact them, but if they do & you have not reported it the whole situation becomes much worse.

Source:
gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/print

The bus is most likely got cameras all over it, and the bus company may have already contacted the police to say you didnt stop, they will have your reg number on camera, best cover your back asap in my opinion.

Don’t worry about it.

People on here acting like its some big deal.

Was your fault though. Shouldn’t be passing a larger vehicle on a tight road at 30mph you slow down. But this stuff happens.

As others…

Have pointed out, you have 24 hours in which to report this, I’d take advantage of that fact.

These days some little chav at the back of the bus will be putting in a claim for PTSD because of this.

In the days I used to regularly drive on B roads, if it was notoriously narrow, I’d fold my driver’s side mirror in.

adam277:
Don’t worry about it.

People on here acting like its some big deal.

It’s not nothing to worry about, but no need to take my word for it…

ashmanssolicitors.com/artic … t-a-crime/

I was once falsely accused of failing to stop at the scene of an accident - it was a totally bogus claim by some chancer who reported the fictional incident to the police, who then sent me a NIP telling me “Failure to stop a the scene of an accident is an offence which is punishable by maximum penalty of a fine up to £5000 and/or six months in jail”. The saving grace was (a) the impossibility of my wagon being able to be in the position he claimed and (b) his inability to stop embroidering his fairy tale, so nothing came of it, but I was not a happy bunny to have that come through the post.

I once had a minor contact with a RM wagon :unamused: popped the plastic cover off his OS mirror, bog-standard mirror, not electrically folding or anything fancy. Their claim against our company was in excess of £1000 :open_mouth:

yourhavingalarf:
As others…

Have pointed out, you have 24 hours in which to report this, I’d take advantage of that fact.

Those others…

Are only giving half the picture - If you haven’t stopped at the scene and exchanged details, the legal requirement is that you report to Police as soon as practicable but in no more than 24 hours.

The report must be made in person at a police station or to a constable.

Even if you do report it after the event, the offence of Fail To Stop has already been committed anyway.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Here’s a true story about not reporting an accident, it happened in the US but still true. A driver from the company I was working for had stopped at a traffic light and the truck behind him didn’t completely stop in time and just bumped the rear of his trailer, more of a kiss really. No damage to our trailer and very slight damage to other truck. Both drivers agreed to keep mum about it which suited our driver as he got a little bonus for not having any accidents/incidents.

Several months later our company gets a bill for several thousand dollars for a new front end from the other trucks company saying our truck rolled back into it. Our driver was fired on the spot, not because of the money but because he didn’t report it.

Everyone saying its op’s fault… sounds like a 50/50 to me. I’d report it though just to cover your own arse, mirrors get knocked off all the time it’s inevitable.

Largeperm:
Everyone saying its op’s fault… sounds like a 50/50 to me. I’d report it though just to cover your own arse, mirrors get knocked off all the time it’s inevitable.

For very small values of “everyone” - As far as I can see only TWO of the dozen or so who have commented have said OP was at fault…?

Appreciate the replies from everyone. I filed a police report online within the 24 hour timeframe just in case anything comes from it. It probably sounds stupid but I didn’t really know what to do when it happened as I’ve never had an incident like this. I did stop 30 seconds down the road after the incident and immediately called the transport manager of the company I’m working for (through agency) to tell them what had happened. Not a lot I can do now, just wish I’d have had the sense to stop at the scene to exchange details. No clue if the bus driver stopped either.

Roymondo:

Largeperm:

For very small values of “everyone” - As far as I can see only TWO of the dozen or so who have commented have said OP was at fault…?

God I bet you’re fun at parties.

Largeperm:

Roymondo:

Largeperm:

Well, as everyone says I am, I must be…

Roymondo:

Largeperm:

Roymondo:

Largeperm:

Well, as everyone says I am, I must be…

When you say everyone do you mean just two people? :wink: