Repairing tilt / curtainsider material

Hi

I’ve just found a secondhand tilt body and fitted it to my small Iveco rigid.

The canvas is a bit the worse for wear - and I was wondering if anyone cound give me advice about the best way to repair small holes and tears. I have plenty of similar plasticised canvas material from an old wagon sheet that I was given a while back but can’t think what sort of adhesive would keep patches in place.

Thanks!

“Z”

I would imagine tyre patch glue would work as it has to withstand temperature change, flexing and being abused as the tubes are refitted.

Normally you spray this onto the tube or tyre and let it dry before putting the 2 pieces together and then use a roller to squeeze out the air.

Plastic welding is used for modern repairs using a heat gun like a hair dryer and a roller

I bet if you took it into a tilt manufacturer they would repair it at a reasonable cost without you having to purchase the heat gun

I’ve seen them repaired with a solvent type glue before, probably similar to the tyre glue Wheel Nut mentioned.

Some bright spark where I used to work cut little holes near the tear in a sheet, overlapped the tear and threaded cable ties through it. It wasn’t 100% water tight but it was fine…until he pulled the rope tight. :unamused:

Thanks folks

I’ll try and find myself some of that glue and do a few tests!

Cheers

“Z”