Rental tractor unit

hey all just a few questions needing answering for a friend of mine.

apart from the cpcs my friend was asking could he just go out and rent a tractor unit and pull trailers??

does he need so much money in bank before renting?
his uncle has 0 license can he pull on that?

any other info i could pass on to him to help him out as he thinking of starting out this way and doesnt wanna sell house to buy truck only to lose out on money.

thanks

ST3:
apart from the cpcs my friend was asking could he just go out and rent a tractor unit and pull trailers??

He’ll need an O-Licence of his own, which means he will need to be able to show money in the bank for 3 months. He’ll also need, amongst other things:

A CPC, or someone else with a CPC to act as TM.
Vehicle insurance.
Goods In Transit insurance.
Public Liability Insurance.

He’ll also want to be registered for VAT as otherwise he’ll be paying 17.5% more for his fuel, vehicle rental, tyres, etc than all his competitors and therefore stand no chance at all of making any money.

There’s no doubt a lot I’ve missed too as I’ve written this as I’ve gone along without really thinking properly, but the summary is:

No you can’t just rent a unit and pull trailers.

Paul

bottom line says enough to me to tell him a big fat NO lol

This friend :stuck_out_tongue: wouldnt be you would it?

If a hire company rents a truck to someone without a valid Operators licence, they will find they have a real problem getting their vehicle out of the crusher when VOSA impound it.

nope this friend is not me i dont want all that hassle lol im still young and want to keep my hair. friend is down in hull and dabbled in all sorts of driving but doesnt enjoy working for any one other than him self, he’s looking into it more now as he tempted to do it said good luck to him and if got all worked out and started id help him out and do some work for him on his days off for some decent pay lol :sunglasses:

ROFLMAO. Don’t know who he thinks he’s going to be pulling for. There’s not exactly a lot of O/D work in Hull and what there is pays peanuts.