Any advice helpful

here goes
my friend owns his own company not transport based at all but is buying a tractor unit to move marquees now and again so he was thinking about putting it on the road when he doesnt need it he wants me to find the work for it

i can choose the truck within reason he said he could pay me out of the profits made from the work its on

he will have the o licence and me the cpc

so the questions are
would you do it?
is it legal?
any comments ?
:smiley:

1. upto you & depends on your relationship with him & exactly what your involvement will be & what you want out it financially and/or otherwise.
  2. Yes, providing he employs you as consultant TM. (can be part time) [without prejudice]
  3. I’m sure there will be lots to follow.

My initial thought on reading was: wow, an expensive piece of kit with extremely high operating cost for occasional use. So i can see his intended method & it makes sense.

If only used to move his own co’s gear, only requires restricted (own account) O license. If the intention is to provide traction for other people, then a National (or International) O license will be required.

Has he/you thought about parking, operating centre, maintainence?

I’m sure you’ve already thought about /know all the above, being a cpc holder.

Now this bit got me:

he said he could pay me out of the profits made from the work its on

now this i’m sure many readers here will be most interested to follow.

How much does he intended spending on a unit. Will a 2x2 do, or will it need to be a 4x2?

Most co’s that want subbies want you to sign up for full time availability, but there are other ways. (PM me if you wish).

Will a trailer be available, or are you seeking traction only work?

he has his own office / ware house with his company so plenty of room to park yes there would be trailer available

about the truck i think he wants it on finance with all r+m stuff thrown in

Driveroneuk:
How much does he intended spending on a unit. Will a 2x2 do, or will it need to be a 4x2?

How does a 2x2 work then. Is it like a uni cycle with a 5th wheel?

Sockpuppet:

Driveroneuk:

You beat me to it, I was wondering that. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I think it is more likely to be a regular cycle, surely a uni cycle would be a 1x1? :wink:

fozzie:
he has his own office / ware house with his company so plenty of room to park yes there would be trailer available

about the truck i think he wants it on finance with all r+m stuff thrown in

We really need to know his budget. Last time I worked in the marquee trade (putting them up) it was a rigid certainly no artic.

Not that heavy (2axle tractor would easily do).

Are you planning to night out?
Do you want a “tall” cab?
Whats the budget?
Any special needs (HIAB could be a goodup for marquee work).

You could ceratinly do a lot worse that this: walkermovements.co.uk/spec_s … nitID=2393

for instance you could drive this:
walkermovements.co.uk/spec_s … nitID=2390

As I had to mispleasure of driving down to London one day (it was a dog…16 spd gear box! The splitter doesnt work FFS!)

Coffeeholic:

Sockpuppet:

Driveroneuk:

You beat me to it, I was wondering that. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I think it is more likely to be a regular cycle, surely a uni cycle would be a 1x1? :wink:

lmao. ok guys u spotted my deliberate mistake (courtesy a la vino rouge) just testing to see who’s awake. obviously i meant 4 x 2 & 6 x 2 (doubt he’ll need 6 x 4… though he might if erecting marquees on fields!)

Sockpuppet:
The splitter doesnt work FFS!)

How exactly were you attempting to use it? And how did you manage to get it to London & back without it? :unamused:

Guessing in that motor it would be an eaton Eaton twin split?

edit: ah, just noticed its got a synchro box… but at least the 2nd question still applies

Well it has a range change (i.e. hight and low ranges) but no splitter as in its stuck in LOW for each gear… i.e. 1 low, 4 low, 8 low etc.

Its going to be revving well & drinking diesel for fun then at m/way speed.