Renewing Vehicle Excise Duty

At the end of November my VED will become due, how do people generally do this? Can it be done online? I presume somebody will want to see the RPC?

If you have a RPC you will have to go to a regional DVLA office to tax your vehicle. You can’t do it online or a post office.

Thanks, that’s what I needed to know, presume somebody can go for me?

i have done mine before online with RPC, it is checked electronically

try the online service first, but it will not let you re-tax the vehicle until 2 weeks before it is due

sometimes, they have been taxed at the local post office too

Could it not be done with the V11form which is the tax reminder form.On the form there is a telephone number for an automated service and you have to quote the special 16 diget number on the form payment is by debit card i have used this service often to tax trucks but not with RPC and i used it last night to tax the car all MOT and insurance checks are done automaticly

shuttlespanker:

They won’t check mine online !! I have to take it to the dvla office ( or you can post it to them iirc ) , maybe this will change when they’ve closed down all their local offices :wink:

Denis F:

shuttlespanker:

They won’t check mine online !! I have to take it to the dvla office ( or you can post it to them iirc ) , maybe this will change when they’ve closed down all their local offices :wink:

same here, the boss has tried everytime and failed so ends up going too the dvla office in aberdeen

I believe they are going to barcode the tax reminders for hgvs so you can tax them at post offices

Big Bear:
If you have a RPC you will have to go to a regional DVLA office to tax your vehicle. You can’t do it online or a post office.

This will presumably have to change as they are in the process of closing all of the DVLA local offices.

I do mine online in exactly the same way on the same website as I do the car tax. I don’t have an RPC to worry about though.

Paul

May I add a quick question onto this thread please Harry. My tax is due at end of October and was wondering if the insurance certificate had to be valid for a certain amount of time after the vehicle is taxed. Reason I ask is my insurance is due 9th November so will I have to have reviewed my new policy docs before taxing it? Cheers.

xfmatt:
wondering if the insurance certificate had to be valid for a certain amount of time after the vehicle is taxed.

As far as I know it only has to be valid on the day the tax disc starts so you should be fine.

Paul

P.S. A year already! Doesn’t time fly…

Harry, I always have to take mine down to the dvla office. I think this is a throwback from the early days of running a 3+3 at a consessionary rate. So a 44 t tractor pulling a 3 axle trailer in band e always has to go to to dvla office to get taxed.
Your vehicle has to be insured on the 1st day of the new tax disk, so taxing in October for a new tax disk to run from start of November you are ok to use your old insurance certificate that expires on 7th November.

Dvla will have to get themselves organised before they close all the offices next year.

Steve

repton:
I don’t have an RPC to worry about though.

£700 a year road tax isn’t anything to worry about :wink:

coiler:
Harry, I always have to take mine down to the dvla office. I think this is a throwback from the early days of running a 3+3 at a consessionary rate. So a 44 t tractor pulling a 3 axle trailer in band e always has to go to to dvla office to get taxed.
Your vehicle has to be insured on the 1st day of the new tax disk, so taxing in October for a new tax disk to run from start of November you are ok to use your old insurance certificate that expires on 7th November.

Dvla will have to get themselves organised before they close all the offices next year.

Steve

would that be the Combined Transport class?

repton:
P.S. A year already! Doesn’t time fly…

It certainly does Paul. Only seems 5 minutes ago that I started my business plan and things started falling into place. And the best thing is I don’t regret it one bit!

I managed to it online this year for the first time ever for a vehicle with RPC

xfmatt:
May I add a quick question onto this thread please Harry. My tax is due at end of October and was wondering if the insurance certificate had to be valid for a certain amount of time after the vehicle is taxed. Reason I ask is my insurance is due 9th November so will I have to have reviewed my new policy docs before taxing it? Cheers.

If you do it online it will only matter if it’s on Askmid or not to got through. If you go to the DVLA office they demand original certificate - I’ve always printed off an email and they’ve never queried it and have had to get brokers to fax temporary cover note to the DVLA office whilst I’m there once or twice.

To be honest it’s going to be a nightmare when the offices close for vehicles there’s no reminder for and the V5s gone AWOL.

I did mine last month with a RPC, the form said you had to do it in local dvla office, or post documents to dvla. Some one can go for you no problem, and with a lot of people rewewing online there`s not much of a que now.
Five or six years ago I could renew with RPC in post office.

pig pen:
I did mine last month with a RPC, the form said you had to do it in local dvla office, or post documents to dvla. Some one can go for you no problem, and with a lot of people rewewing online there`s not much of a que now.
Five or six years ago I could renew with RPC in post office.

it would be around that time when i last renewed a truck VED with RPC

Just having a nosey on here, I must say I am fairly concerned that this Chap Harry Monk whose known to all on this forum for recently starting a business & having just taken exams to be able to is posting on how to go about taxing a lorry, its truly shocking in fact…I was concerned about Him needing to ask how to change a set of batteries a while back, I did feel this was understandable as not all of us have mechanical knowledge but its a fact on this forum that He’s a veteran of running to The Former USSR so I thought basic stuff like this would be in His remit.

More concerning is just what gets taught on a CPC course now for Gods sake, surely they must cover LGV taxation FFS?

Anyway I’m off ice skating

Toodle Pip

fly sheet:
Just having a nosey on here, I must say I am fairly concerned that this Chap Harry Monk whose known to all on this forum for recently starting a business & having just taken exams to be able to is posting on how to go about taxing a lorry, its truly shocking in fact…I was concerned about Him needing to ask how to change a set of batteries a while back, I did feel this was understandable as not all of us have mechanical knowledge but its a fact on this forum that He’s a veteran of running to The Former USSR so I thought basic stuff like this would be in His remit.

More concerning is just what gets taught on a CPC course now for Gods sake, surely they must cover LGV taxation FFS?

Anyway I’m off ice skating

Toodle Pip

i don’t think that taxing a vehicle actually is covered by the CPC