Renewing Vehicle Excise Duty

shuttlespanker:

coiler:
Harry, I always have to take mine down to the dvla office. I think this is a throwback from the early days of running a 3+3 at a consessionary rate. So a 44 t tractor pulling a 3 axle trailer in band e always has to go to to dvla office to get taxed.
Your vehicle has to be insured on the 1st day of the new tax disk, so taxing in October for a new tax disk to run from start of November you are ok to use your old insurance certificate that expires on 7th November.

Dvla will have to get themselves organised before they close all the offices next year.

Steve

would that be the Combined Transport class?

I was thinking before the combined transport class came out. My old man bought his first 3 axle tractor in 1985 to run with a York 3 tri axle coiler, when taxing they used to get all confused as 99% were taxing 2+3 but the 3+3 was a lot cheaper. That was basically the only reason he ran 3 axle tractor, cheaper tax and less chance of overloading the drive. you were still limited to 38 tonne then.
Think there’s a picture of it on our website - www.rbtransport.co.uk

shuttlespanker:

fly sheet:
Just having a nosey on here, I must say I am fairly concerned that this Chap Harry Monk whose known to all on this forum for recently starting a business & having just taken exams to be able to is posting on how to go about taxing a lorry, its truly shocking in fact…I was concerned about Him needing to ask how to change a set of batteries a while back, I did feel this was understandable as not all of us have mechanical knowledge but its a fact on this forum that He’s a veteran of running to The Former USSR so I thought basic stuff like this would be in His remit.

More concerning is just what gets taught on a CPC course now for Gods sake, surely they must cover LGV taxation FFS?

Anyway I’m off ice skating

Toodle Pip

i don’t think that taxing a vehicle actually is covered by the CPC

Well wtf do they teach em ffs?

fly sheet:

shuttlespanker:
i don’t think that taxing a vehicle actually is covered by the CPC

Well wtf do they teach em ffs?

It seems you are supposed to be taught it on the CPC course.

The syllabus is here:
pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_6 … rq_syl.pdf

See Page7, Section D2, where it says “Tutors should explain the methods used to obtain VED including on-line.”

Paul

I don’r recall it being taught but if it was then I’ve forgotten it so with this being the case I generally feel the best approach is to ask someone who has done it already, although there doesn’t seem to be any real agreement about whether it can or can’t be done without visiting a DVLA office so I’ll just wait and see what the renewal notice says.

fly sheet:
Just having a nosey on here, I must say I am fairly concerned that this Chap Harry Monk whose known to all on this forum for recently starting a business & having just taken exams to be able to is posting on how to go about taxing a lorry, its truly shocking in fact…I was concerned about Him needing to ask how to change a set of batteries a while back, I did feel this was understandable as not all of us have mechanical knowledge but its a fact on this forum that He’s a veteran of running to The Former USSR so I thought basic stuff like this would be in His remit.

More concerning is just what gets taught on a CPC course now for Gods sake, surely they must cover LGV taxation FFS?

Anyway I’m off ice skating

Toodle Pip

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The former USSR you say :laughing:

I too find it rather unusual , I would have looked else where before showing my ignorance on a trucking

forum , anyways what do I know I have never been to Russia . HTH.

You don’t want too either I dont think, Poland was bad enough :wink:

I used to go down to the dvla office at Sidcup and change them to plg was £165 a year but they never gave you the discount for the rpc.

kr79:
I used to go down to the dvla office at Sidcup and change them to plg was £165 a year but they never gave you the discount for the rpc.

Ee by eck youf twas only 100 in my day :smiley:

I did get done 15,500 gbp though, that made me wince a bit I tell thee, anymore of you lot on ere been shafted like that?

Harry Monk:

repton:
I don’t have an RPC to worry about though.

£700 a year road tax isn’t anything to worry about :wink:

Hi Harry.

Searching on this site for information on Tax and I find that you are here too. Just trying to get some info after having fall out with the DVLA.

I have just purchased a Vehicle with RPC & RFS, when I contacted the DVLA Swansea for the rate of Tax I was told that it was £660 for 6 months. After the paperwork being in the Local Office DVLA hands for 35 days passed between Maidstone Peterborough and Swansea as it is taxed on a V85 and I also wanted to transfer some cherished plates onto the newly acquired Vehicle DVLA sent all the paperwork back. In the end the MD went to the local Office and handed the paperwork in and spoke to a lady there. She taxed the Vehicle for £385.00 for 6 months.■■? I have checked all the sites but this rate says that it is only for Vehicles registered after April 2011. Please can you throw any light on the matter as there are not costs against tax band E.

Thanks Harry.

Lesleyanne

Was just about to update this thread.

Have received the renewal notice, it can’t be done online for this vehicle, so I’ve posted it off to my local DVLA office at Maidstone.

Mine is a 2008 6x2 euro 5 with RPC and the current tax disc, which was on there when I bought the vehicle, is a six month disc at £385. I’ve sent off for a 12 month disc and that’s £700.

Harry Monk:
I’ve sent off for a 12 month disc and that’s £700.

Flash Git :laughing: :wink:

chaversdad:

Harry Monk:

Well, I’m planning on having it for a year so it’ll either cost me £700 and I’ll have to send the application off once, or £770 and I’ll have to do it twice. Also, MOT and insurance are due in six months’ time and I want to spread the expense so hopefully I can pay for next year’s insurance in one lump as they charge a lot for doing it in instalments.

Harry Monk:

chaversdad:

Harry Monk:

Well, I’m planning on having it for a year so it’ll either cost me £700 and I’ll have to send the application off once, or £770 and I’ll have to do it twice. Also, MOT and insurance are due in six months’ time and I want to spread the expense so hopefully I can pay for next year’s insurance in one lump as they charge a lot for doing it in instalments.

Actually, I’ve just thought of a better way of explaining it.

Suppose I had a sausage factory and I needed two dead pigs a day to produce sausages.

Suppose the slaughterman said “I can bring you one dead pig every morning and one dead pig every afternoon, and they will be £385 each, or I can bring you two dead pigs every morning and charge you £700 for the two”

Well, it’s a no-brainer as well as being a classic “Jim-ism” :wink: